276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Girl Who Walked On Air: 'The Queen of Historical Fiction at her finest.' Guardian

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

But Louie doesn’t give up on her dream. Even after someone she loves has a terrible accident, a new act joins the circus, and Mr Chipcase still won't listen. There’s another circus nearby – a circus that is bigger, better and looking for a showstopper. From the queen of historical fiction, The Girl Who Walked On Air by Emma Carroll is an enchanting historical adventure. Dapo Adeola, Tracy Darnton, Joseph Coelho and Chitra Soundar are among the 19 authors and illustrators longlisted for the Inclusive Books for Child... As I mentioned above, Louie is passionate and what she is most passionate about is her skill of tightrope walking. This enthusiasm only adds to the magic of The Girl Who Walked On Air. This is my new favourite book and I would recommend that you rush out and buy it before the summer holidays end so that you have time to lose yourself in this brilliant story and feel that you can walk on air!

Louie's journey isn't just about achieving her dreams, it's also about discovering who she is, where she comes from - her past. The two plots running alongside each other flow together well and make this book a mysterious read. Act one of the book tells the story of Louie's realisation that her dreams may come true. Then, in Act Two the pace seems to speed up as Louie has to find a different sort of courage in addition to the one needed to step onto a tightrope. So much happened in this section of the book that I had to read it one sitting as I was so caught up in the story. Louie is an absolutely fantastic main character. I immediately warmed to her and was rooting for her to get what she wanted. Louie is determined to get what she wants and really fights to succeed. There are such strong secondary characters in this story as well. They’re all so well developed. There are even characters I delighted in disliking. It was Louie that stood out for me and her interactions with Gabriel, a performer from another circus. And the circus needs her too – Wellbeloved’s rival show is stealing their crowds. They need a Showstopper. Desperate, Mr Chipchase reluctantly lets Louie perform. She is a sensation, and gets an offer from the sinister Mr Wellbeloved himself to perform . . . over Niagara Falls. But nothing is quite as it seems and soon Louie’s bravery is tested not just on the highwire but in confronting her past and the shady characters in the world of the circus . . .

If you have not already read Emma Carroll’s first book, Frost Hollow Hall, please do, it is brilliant too. You might also appreciate The Daring Escape of Beatrice and Peabody by Kimblerly Newton Fusco. Ocr tesseract 5.0.0-rc1-12-g88b4 Ocr_detected_lang en Ocr_detected_lang_conf 1.0000 Ocr_detected_script Latin Ocr_detected_script_conf 0.9400 Ocr_module_version 0.0.14 Ocr_parameters -l eng Old_pallet IA-NS-2000491 Openlibrary_edition The winners of the Diverse Book Awards 2023 have been announced, with one winner from each of the four categories announced: Picture book, Children... Other than Louie herself, I really loved all of the secondary characters in this book. Jasper, Mr. Chipchase, Pip, Louie's best friend, Ned ... even Kitty, Louie's arch-nemesis was a really entertaining addition to the story. But for me, it was Louie and Gabriel, a performer from another circus who comes to audition for the role of showstopper that really took the limelight for me. I loved how we are able to see Louie's courage next to Gabriel's nervousness and stage fright and how we slowly discover how Gabriel came to feeling this way. I was thoroughly looking forward to reading The Girl Who Walked On Air after being really impressed with Emma Carroll’s debut novel Frost Hollow Hall last year. I’m happy to say that this book totally exceeded my already high expectations. Emma Carroll’s writing is absolutely beautiful. I felt like I was in the book, watching the scenes unfold before my eyes. It was fantastic!

The Girl Who Walked On Air is an entertaining read aimed at the middle grade audience, but easily enjoyed by any age range. The story is narrated by Louie, a young girl who has been brought up in a travelling circus. Surrounded by the theatrics of the circus, Louie has just one ambition and that's to be a showstopper, a show stopping tightrope walker. Her ambition proves difficult as she and her skills are constantly being put down however that doesn't deter Louie from achieving her dream. From the queen of historical fiction, The Girl Who Walked On Air by Emma Carroll is an enchanting historical adventure for ages 9-11.

Louie is such a sweet and brave girl, but she's troubled. She's angry with her mother for leaving her and doesn't want to talk about her at all. She wants to have a family, but to be happy with what she has she has a battle to fight first. I loved reading about the circus and the feeling of doing something dangerous day after day. There was a great, exciting cliffhanger and I liked it a lot. I couldn't stop reading until I knew what would happen to Louie. Access-restricted-item true Addeddate 2021-11-04 17:18:54 Boxid IA40278222 Camera Sony Alpha-A6300 (Control) Collection_set printdisabled External-identifier One negative thing that I would have to say about this book is that I don't think that it dealt with some sensitive issues, such as loss, that well as I don't think it showed the effect that these issues had on the characters.

When Hetty spots an elephant's head over the top of the hedge, it heralds the arrival of Tanglefield's Travelling Circus. Of particular interest to Hetty is Madame Adeline who has "red hair just like mine." So begins her quest to be reunited with her real mother. It's a funny, exciting, heart-breaking story, where the circus represents Hetty's hopes and dreams. 2. Burning Bright by Tracy ChevalierCoffee house Caffè Nero has announced the 16-strong shortlist for the inaugural Nero Book Awards, recognising the outstanding books of the past 12... Fans of Frost Hollow Hall will love this epic adventure about following your dreams and becoming a showstopper! finished this book! set in a Victorian circus, Louis has an ambitious dream to become a tightrope walker. but when facing an opportunity to go to America and achieve her dream, her dreams in reality becomes her nightmare. Narrator, and main character Louie is strong willed, confident, passionate and most importantly, determined. Louie is the kind of protagonist that makes me love a book, especially in a book that is aimed at children. Our work today is below. Print out the worksheet and cut out all the squares on the right hand side of the sheet. Match each state – solid, liquid or gas – to a material and to its correct particle arrangement.

I discovered Emma Carroll through my love of the Victorian era. Even though her books are aimed at children aged 9-11 years I couldn't resist the allure of her first book, a victorian ghost story called Frost Hollow Hall. This became one of my favourite books. In Leitch's novel the circus is a place of cruelty and repression- the populist view on the use of animals in circuses. The horses are whipped, the dogs "poor" and even the human performers are "tired" and "shrill". From it, Jinny rescues Yasmin The Killer Horse who over time becomes her beloved Shantih. This is the first book in a series I adored as a child. 6. Josser by Nell Stroud I realised at the end of the story that tightrope walking symbolises the true meaning of the story which is about being brave and trusting someone. Emma Carroll writes characters wonderfully, but what's even greater than the individuals are the dynamics that are created. The relationship between Louie and her father figure, Jasper, is touching; and the friendship she shares with Ned is fun and playful - both of which feel lifelike and natural. As much as we've all wondered what it would be like to drop everything and run away with the circus, this book shows us that it's not all fun and games, and that there is a darker side to it which I never really thought about that much before reading this book.

However one of the highlights of this entertaining book is the growing friendship between Louie and Gabriel, the new arrival at the circus. This relationship is portrayed extremely well and provides some genuinely moving moments. Also Louie’s sadness at never having known her mother and her hope of one day discovering more about her past causes the reader to become more involved in the story. I am reluctant to give away too much of the plot as I think that this would spoil the excitement but suffice it to say I was gripped to the end wanting to know what happened. Emma Carroll manages to bring the various strands together in a very satisfying conclusion.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment