276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Malice

£5.495£10.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Now that the intro is out of the way, let me get to the subject I really wanted to talk about: Orka. One of the three main voices in the book and one of the greatest fantasy characters of all time (yep, I’m making that call). I am obsessed. She’s earned her place on my favourites list and I can’t see anyone moving her (I’d like to see them try). Anyone who has read Gwynne before will know that his characterisation is superb, his books populated by characters that readers genuinely care about. We love them because they’re an emotional investment that always pays off, even if it sometimes comes in the form of uncontrollable sobbing. But if this was something he did well before, then Orka is another level of brilliance. Something about her grabs you from the start. It’s weird because at first you don’t really know whether you like her or not… but you can’t look away. There’s strength there, no doubt about that, and more than a hint of violence. She’s one of those rare female characters who gets to be a mother, a partner, and a warrior with not a single breath of stereotype or limitation. Even now, even in Gwynne, I still get moments when I think to myself ‘Damn, you’re really going to let her be all that… really?’ Yes, really. She’s complicated, striving to mediate her conflicting roles and all the parts of herself. What’s more, she’s doing it while the world turns to shit around her. Her arc in this book is surprising as hell. In fact, everything about her is indescribably epic and I can’t wait for you all to meet her. The Bloodsworn Saga is a Norse-inspired dark fantasy tale. Set in a new fantasy world, one that lies broken by the last battle between the gods, gods that now lie dead or in slumber. The bones of the dead gods hold great power for those brave enough - or desperate enough to seek them out. And those not dead threaten to awaken and ravage the world once more. The story is filled with monsters, warbands and powered humans tainted by their divine ancestors. Corban wants nothing more than to be a warrior under King Brenin’s rule — to protect and serve. But that day will come all too soon. And the price he pays will be in blood.

If I could give a perfect example of how to write a predictable story well, this would be it; I guess a lot of fantasy fits into that category though. The author is obviously a talented writer. When he described a scene, I could see it in my head pretty well, but a lot of the content was boring. It's a good tale with mounting tension, a slowly revealed plot, unexpected twists, and plenty of bloodshed. It's also definitely the foundation of a larger story with many elements left unresolved for the subsequent titles to chew over. Corban wants nothing more than to be a warrior under King Brenin's rule—to protect and serve. But that day will come all too soon. And the price he pays will be in blood.I found my reading of Maliceto bea little happier than that experienced by Josh. I do howeveragree witha lotofthe positive elementshementionedand I was similarly impressed byhow Gwynne managed to take much that is stereotypical or derivative in the fantasy genre and breath new life into it.

Malice by John Gwynne is set in a broken world. The Banished Lands, is a place of violence where men and giants battle, and the earth remembers their blood. Now, monsters stir, and those who can still read the signs see a danger far worse than all that has come before. The third in The Faithful and the Fallen series, Ruin by John Gwynne continues the gripping battle of good vs evil. Corban wants nothing more than to be a warrior under King Brenin's rule -- to protect and serve. But that day will come all too soon. And the price he pays will be in blood. Evnis has sacrificed—too much it seems. But what he wants—the power to rule—will soon be in his grasp. And nothing will stop him once he has started on his path.The narrative is told through three different character viewpoints. Orka, a huntress, a mother, a wife, and a fierce warrior who only wishes to spend time with her family in relative peace. Elvar, a mercenary who dreams of carving her name into history and the sagas. And Varg, a once-thrall with a driving hunger for vengeance who has been given a path to it as a member of the mercenaries known as the Bloodsworn. As to how they are part of the plot and fit together, you will have to read to learn more.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment