276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Pimp: The Story of My Life

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

It does move to dizzying heights and, from what I understand, a lot of what you encounter is meant to push you. An immersive experience unlike anything before it, Pimp would go on to sell millions of copies, with translations throughout the world.

To keep them "in line" he brooked no conscience, no warmth and no emotion, thus the moniker pinned on him by an associate: Iceberg. In any case, I would recommend this book, but only to those with an interest in crime novels in the first place. They were added to clear up vocabulary and give the reader extra information but this sometimes became annoying as I personally felt some of the footnotes could’ve just been incorporated in the story itself. i know there's a big debate - at least at the academic level - about whether slim wrote this book or it was ghostwritten.He met Betty Shue, who became his common-law wife and the mother of his three daughters, while he was working as an insecticide salesman. The Financial Times and its journalism are subject to a self-regulation regime under the FT Editorial Code of Practice. The one thing that I did learn from this book, and it's a lesson that will stay ingrained in my head for the rest of my life is that even the freakiest bitch don't like to be hit with a wire coat hanger that's been twisted into a metal whip.

I had someone make a point to me recently that by making prostitution illegal we were actually depriving women of a lucrative means of making a living. Iceberg Slim says he has had over 400 whores working for him at various times, no more than a few at one time, but it just shows that the streets burn them out or they just plain got tired of Slim’s shit. In 1976, Iceberg Slim released the album Reflections, in which he recited passages from his autobiography over a funky musical backing supplied by the Red Holloway Quartet.

His influence on rap culture can hardly be overestimated - or why do you think Ice-T and Ice Cube have these names? From a feminist/post-colonial viewpoint, the activities of book-reviewing and pimping have much in common. In this brutal and raw autobiography, Slim displays a talent for machine-gun pulpy prose and a fearless braggadocio -- wanting simultaneously to express atonement and remorse for his past cruelties while holding onto the perverse self-honor of being a cold, violent badass. Predictably, quite a bit of the language is sexist, racist or otherwise offensive, so if I might issue the most unnecessary warning in the history of Goodreads reviews: this book contains many trigger words for some people.

As a rule, if I pick up a book and see some glowing praise how it ‘helped shape and define the struggles of the inuit/aborigine/future visitors from the solar system around Alcor’ my reaction will be similar to that of grabbing an electric eel.Cary later went on to voice other works of Iceberg Slim, including Long White Con, Trick Baby, and Airtight Willie and Me. With that sample alone, and considering that many rappers consider him an influence, it’s no wonder the word ‘bitch’ has enjoyed such proliferation in their craft.

Think of the worst crimes a person can commit: murder, rape, child molestation, pandering drugs, torture, slavery. He attained the moniker “Iceberg Slim” from his peers due to his ice-cold demeanor toward his whores. Dazzle Razzle ratchets it up, but you need rather specialized knowledge for some of what is tackled. But Slim sucks up to Sweet, a master who pimps “by the book,” and learns how to beat his whores into submission for the scratch they could earn.

These laws come from the book Pimpology; A "How To Pimp-A-Hoe" Book, in case the " p-i-m-p" forgets how. The text is performative and provides the basis of an ethics of intersubjectivity that occur in the other two texts of the 'triptych'. Iceberg himself experiences racism and reflects on it: He sees pimping as a way to make it in the white man's world - until taking responsibility for the cost of his trade for himself, his family, and the Black community.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment