276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Haunting of Tyrese Walker

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

JP Rose’s writing style is phenomenal and has the perfect mixture of description, action and characterisation. You could clearly feel the journey that Tyrese has gone through from start to finish and this makes Tyrese’s actions a whole lot more believable than if he’d stayed static. The characters of Ellie and Marvin are excellent additions to the tale, Ellie serves as a reminder of the bond that Tyrese had with his father and Marvin contrasts the grief by continuously bringing up Tyrese’s father. With the ‘Shadow Man’ only going after those affected by death, Tyrese eventually comes to terms with his fathers’ death. Then Tyrese is warned he’s being hunted by the mysterious Shadow Man. Under threat, Tyrese and his friends set out on a terrifying journey across the island to try and uncover the Shadow Man’s sinister history. Who can Tyrese trust when his own mind is falling apart and there’s nowhere left to hide? Often writing for young adults focuses on a pivotal moment in the character’s life, when they’re having to be truly tested for the first time – whether that’s facing life-threatening supernatural danger, or finding the courage to ask someone out. Great YA fiction can explore the full range of emotions that its teen readers might be experiencing, and leaves space for them to decide how they feel about the characters and their choices.

I'm not a fan of ghost stories, but I could definitely appreciate this one, where the heart of the story is not so much ghosts but Tyrese's grief at losing a beloved father. And I very much enjoyed seeing the setting, culture and language of the island, and feel it's beneficial for young readers to experience different lives to their own. Coffee house Caffè Nero has announced the 16-strong shortlist for the inaugural Nero Book Awards, recognising the outstanding books of the past 12... Tyrese. Of course, I loved the main character. He was perfectly written. And a great representation of being lost to the darkness of one’s grief. My heart truly ached for him. The reveal and the finale are excellent, and the mounting dread pays off in the final scenes. My complaint with a lot of horror is that the fear is either an overreaction, or that the Big Bad is too big and too bad for the story. This ending is just right.The cover, which is to be revealed, will be designed by artist Dananayi Muwanigwa, a young self-taught digital illustrator based in Harare, Zimbabwe. The setting for any book, the world building, is very important as I'm taking the reader on a journey and I need them to see it and smell it and hear it as if they were there themselves, so I combine places I know as well as looking at photographs and art and memory recall and emotional recall to create the setting. The Haunting of Tyrese Walker is a powerful and beautiful metaphor for grief and a fantastic read for horror/paranormal fans. Author JP Rose's first YA novel, The Haunting of Tyrese Walker, is a gripping psychological horror story. JP Rose was born in Manchester but was raised in Yorkshire after her adoption. Growing up she suffered extreme racism, though she continued to be proud of her diverse and rich heritage of Jamaican, Nigerian and Anglo-Irish. As a child she found herself writing stories as a form of escapism and to combat her loneliness. She trained as an actress but eventually moved into writing and she is now the author of numerous novels for adults. She is the owner of several horses, dogs and cats and lives in the countryside with her family.

Dapo Adeola, Tracy Darnton, Joseph Coelho and Chitra Soundar are among the 19 authors and illustrators longlisted for the Inclusive Books for Child... The descriptions. You go from the sinisterly atmospheric to the most tender words possible. And then you have the descriptions of the insects, infection and the surrounding evil. It truly is terrifying and gross. We are delighted to share the cover for JP Rose’s incredible first YA novel, The Haunting of Tyrese Walker which is illustrated by the brilliant Dananyani Muwanigwa. He commits 2 ‘sins’. Firstly, he fails to take superstition seriously—beware The Shadow Man; and secondly, he fails to let love & hope in. As his friends try to understand what’s happening, it becomes clear that Ty may not be hallucinating after all and, together, they have no choice but to head towards the thing that scares them most.The Branford Boase Award judges praised the quality of the writing in The Haunting of Tyrese Walker and your skilful use of folklore. Where did the idea for the book come from and what was your starting point? Having been adopted, natural curiosity as a teenager led me to discover more about my birth family: my paternal heritage being a wonderful diversity of Jamaican and Nigerian. And it was whilst visiting family for the first time, I initially heard about duppies. Even all those years ago, they sprung my imagination, and I immediately knew this captivating part of Jamaican folklore was something I one day wanted to write about.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment