276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Russell Hobbs 193270 Filter, Plastic,Black

£5.56£11.12Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

As I've said in many other blog posts and videos about Sage coffee machines, Sage doesn't tend to make coffee machines the same as other manufacturers. I know this from experience. Years ago when I started my first business, I had a tiny little office in an old mill converted into office space, in which I had a small desk, PC, and a filter coffee machine (I actually think it was a Melitta but I can't remember for sure). The Barista explained to him that this is what he's asked for, an espresso. The customer explained that he thought an espresso was a large coffee, and it became apparent that he was actually wanting an Americano, so I'm not surprised he was confused when he looked down at his tiny Espresso ;-). The supermarket pre-ground stuff is normally ground so that it accommodates and is “suitable for all coffee machines”.

All of the machines in this guide were tested and directly compared by Ellen Manning. Ellen is a freelance journalist who writes for a range of national publications on all sorts of subjects - but mainly food and drink. When she’s not eating food, she spends most of her time thinking, talking, and writing about it, and also writes an award-winning food blog Eat with Ellen. Her favourite coffee is a double espresso first thing in the morning, but she’s also partial to a caramel latte on the odd occasion. How to choose the best filter coffee machine

Recent Posts

I would highly recommend that if you get this coffee filter machine, you just use the 20 min keep warm function if you're going to use any. 20 minutes is just about the maximum I think you really want to keep a pot of coffee on a warming plate. So espresso is much stronger concentrated coffee that can be diluted with milk or hot water, but due to the way it's made, it doesn't taste the same as filter coffee when diluted with hot water. What does filter coffee taste like?

Melitta invented filter coffee, by the way, so they should know what they're doing 😉 – and overall, Melitta coffee machines have a decent reputation. If I'm having breakfast at a hotel, including coffee from a bean to cup machine, I'll nearly always end up adding at least one espresso to the Americano, because dishwater strength Americano doesn't make me happy. When I'm making my own (which is most of the time), I add the amount of water for whatever strength I'm in the mood for, and that's one of the great things about Americano, it's very easy to add a bit more water if it's too strong.Filter coffee machines make filter coffee, and OK that much is obvious, but some people don't seem to be aware of the fact that filter coffee is different from other types of coffee, such as cafetiere coffee or Americano. Looking at all of the features, including the auto pause and keep warm function, I think this is an interesting option for such a cheap filter coffee machine. Just keep in mind that I've seen some really weird dimensions advertised for this coffee machine, which seem to state that it's 8 x 12.9 x 12.6 cm, it certainly isn't – it looks like they've put CM instead of inches, it's actually a fairly hefty sized machine compared to the other low cost filter coffee machines, at about 20cm wide, 32cm tall and just a tad under 33cm deep.

The brewing controls are where this machine really shines. Not only in the unique (at the time of writing, at least) level of control this brewer gives you over the important brew variables, but also when it comes to the simple fast buttons where all of these variables have already been optimised for you. This is a very popular, very low cost easy to use filter coffee machine. If you're simply looking for the best value for money with a big max brew (1.5L) capacity, easy single-cup function (the anti drip feature works really well), brew timer to have coffee waiting for you when you wake up, and permanent filter so you can still make coffee when you run out of paper filters, then for the price, this is a great option. Like the Kitchen Aid, the positioning of the display means you would have to have your machine a certain way round, which might not be the best use of space, but if you’ve invested in something like this, there’s every chance you’ll be giving it pride of place in your kitchen.As with all brewing methods, I believe that the very best way to experience how it should be done, to gauge how well you're doing when you brew at home, is to go to a well respected speciality coffee shop that serves filter. There are other premium machines that I think will deliver similar potential cup quality, but with emphasis on the word “potential”, because brewers such as the Technivorm Moccamaster, Wilfa Svart Performance & so on I think have the ability to produce very similar cup quality in the right hands, but usually don't give such an easy option for great cup quality or the same level of simple control over the key brewing variables. Another filter coffee machine from Melitta, the inventors of filter coffee, this is about twenty quid more than the Melitta Look V machine I mentioned earlier, and the main difference is the timer option.

So if there's any coffee you think you don't like because of one particular experience, don't let that one bad Americano or bad filter coffee, for example, define that coffee. There is actually little difference in process, both manual and electric work by hot water pouring over ground coffee beans sitting in a filter. The difference is that with a machine, the machine controls the brew, you have very little to do with it other than the grind size and the coffee you're putting in. So if you're looking for high-tech features, user-friendliness and modern design, you'd probably be best with the Sage Precision Brewer. If you're looking for a workhorse, designed simply to brew decent filter coffee, and to keep doing so for years to come, then a machine like the Moccamaster may be right up your street. No, single pod machines like Nespresso, Tassimo, Dolce Gusto, etc., work in a similar way to espresso machines, in that they force hot water at pressure through the coffee grounds. Most pod and disk machines do use ground coffee beans, but this isn't what you could call filter coffee.

Blog Categories

So the Breville machines we know of in the UK, are a completely different brand to the Sage Appliances machines in the UK, which are sold in the US, Australia and most other countries outside of Europe, as Breville machines.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment