276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Death to the Emperor: The thrilling new Eagles of the Empire novel - Macro and Cato return!

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

John is a film producer but also runs Universal Combat Ltd., an agency which represents ex-military personnel and provides tri-service military advice and support to the entertainment industry. As such John is perfectly placed to work on the EAGLE series of books.

This, I have to say, is also the first in the series that I can remember ending in a definite cliffhanger ... Having said that, I do find the repeated and prolonged detail of armed combat rather - well, boring. Maybe it's a girly thing, but to me, having every thrust, twist and parry described, every feint and shifting of weight, every gush of blood and clatter of sword on sword, is rather like having to read a prolonged description of every mouthful a person eats whenever they sit down to a meal. I mean, maybe the first time it's good to immerse the reader in the experience, but by the tenth time ... A.D. 57. Battle-scarred veterans of the Roman army Tribune Cato and Centurion Macro return to Rome.

Signatures

To tell what any of those surprises are would spoil the fun when you read the book, so I'll let someone else pull off a spoiler and tell what they are. I will say this much, the title doesn't refer to the emperor, who happens to be Nero, going into exile. If you read the flyleaf on the book, it will tell you and that will spoil one of the surprises, but it's up to you if you want to be surprised or not as you read the book. Entry #20 in Simon Scarrow's Macro and Cato series, which means there's been approximately one entry per year.

Macro needs a plan to deal with these thugs. If only he could talk to his old friend Cato as he would come up with a plan to deal with the rabble. His approximate age, based on his previous service, years traveling with Cato and his joining age as revealed in a short story at the end of Centurion (it was revealed he was 16, joined after killing a gang leader). This makes Macro as of the 20th book, 48.

What To Read Next

n.b. these novellas were available as e-books prior to publication of the full title. Pirata series (with T. J. Andrews) [ edit ] I do admire Simon Scarrow's in-depth knowledge of life in the Roman Empire, from the day to day routine of housekeeping and providing meals to the details of Army life for both serving soldiers and veterans. I haven't read all of his stuff (there's so much of it!), but this is the third 'Macro' novel I've read and it was nice to renew his acquaintance, and that of Petronella, and to catch up on their adventures in the far-flung outpost of Britannia. Enter Cato - won't get into how he winds up in Britain - don't want to spoil the surprise - and you have all the ingredients for a Macro/Cato adventure. Just the two of them? No. It seems there are a number of retired legionaries in the ancient Roman equivalent of a retirement village and they aren't ready to quite give up either and fade peacefully into the night. Eventually, you have the obligatory battle scenes, but it's nothing like legions fighting off the barbarians and the like. Add in the help of a native British tribe and it's still kind of tame. So if you're expecting a lot of blood and guts, you won't find it - there is some but its minor in comparison to earlier adventures. What is to follow is a Roman adventure with plenty of action, no doubt about that, but its also a book with a similar theme as in "Invictus", in what the local tribal revolt is concerned, but now adding to it is a deadly pestilence and with only Cato in the headlines an a supporting role for Apollonius, so that overall this engaging book is somewhat inferior to its predecessors in intensity, interaction, warfare and (real) historical battles against fearsome opponents like the Parthians, or the tribes from Germania, or the Celts from Britannia, and I can only hope that the author will return to that kind of formula again. This novel mirrors that approach, with the larger bulk of this following Macro and his adventures in Londinium and in the veterans colony of Camulodunum (which I've just found out is Colchester, and the first Roman Capital of the province) before the two principal characters finally reunite circa - again - three quarters of the way into the story.

Alex Scarrow Interview". authortrek.com. Archived from the original on 10 November 2011 . Retrieved 2 January 2017. The following are books which are either stand-alone novels or have yet to be confirmed as parts of a series. Flavia Domitilla: Vespasian's wife, who, he is chagrined to learn, is a member of the "Liberators," a group of conspirators plotting Claudius's assassination; however in Day of the Caesars, the conspirators have changed their target to Nero, hoping to allow Brittanicus to succeed his father. She also reveals that Julia was faithful to Cato. She kills herself when the coup fails.The Emperor’s Exile is the nineteenth book in the series of Roman novels featuring Cato and Marco. The novel mirrors real life for just as the real world was battling the plague of Covid-19, Cato is faced with a plague epidemic in Sardinia, where he has been sent to restore Roman rule. This was another awesome novel from Scarrow, who has once again produced an exciting and fast-paced historical fiction read that perfectly envisions the landscape of Roman-occupied England. The Honour of Rome is a great read, and I loved the cool combination of historical and crime fiction elements throughout it. I ended up reading this book in only a few short days and loved every second of it. This misfortune to Queen Boudica will set in motion a series of events that will result in the eventual begin of the revolt against the Roman oppressor, with as the main culprit of this oppression the Procurator in Londinium who's called, Decianus, with Macro as a late witness to these cruel atrocities towards Queen Boudica and her daughters, and thus Macro's world of peace at the Colony at Camulodunum will eventually turn into a hellish place of war and death, while Cato is one of the officers in Governor's Suetonius's army to conquer and annihilate the Druid stronghold of Mona.

Macro has been close friends with Cato since Cato saved his life in the first book. This bond deepens when Macro confesses that he is illiterate and asks Cato's help in learning to read, and so maintain his position as an officer. The story doesn’t let up all the way through as something is always happening leaving you feeling the urgency of the situation.I've followed the adventures of Roman soldiers Cato and Macro across the Roman Empire for 20 or so novels and the standard never dips below breathless. Simon Scarrow is excellent on adventure, dialogue and character and the plots are always well crafted. This latest adventure is set in Britannia in AD60 with Centurion Macro now retired from the legions and living in comfortable retirement in Camuldonunum - or Colchester to you and me. Meanwhile, the more senior Cato, is also in Colchester 'resting' between appointments and happy to be with his new love, Claudia the Emperor's ex-mistress. That's not all that has changed: Cato is no longer the scared young man he had been in the first entries; Macro no longer the seasoned Centurion. Now, Macro is retired from active service whilst Cato - who now has a family of his own - has risen in rank above that that Macro ever reached but is still firm friends with the latter.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment