276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Eve Was Framed: Women and British Justice

£5.495£10.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

But I found myself reading some sentences twice due to the absurdity of some of Kennedy's allegations. It is not enough to say 'no'. Men hear a challenge to their masculinity in the sound. As a person who has read widely on the topic of feminism, I can say that there are far more complex articles or books that don't include such radical opinions and still have a point. Because, honestly, we cannot argue that all men react in the same way to the same event, especially when talking about their feelings. Kennedy seems to want to make topics like men and psychology seem easy when, in fact, they're not. The Tasting Menu.Topics each week to learn more about your body and health. Remember that Pelvic Floor question?That’s one of the topics we’ll cover.Your time is valuable. We’re doing the reading and sharing the knowledge Kennedy takes no prisoners. The less progressive among the judiciary fare particularly badly: they behave, she says, like “demented lemmings”. Her colourful language does not detract from the power of this fact-based account of the position of women in the law, and hence in society. Reading Eve Was Shamed, especially so many years after Eve Was Framed, is a sobering reminder of how far we have to go. But guided through this madness by someone as consistent, persuasive and sharp as Kennedy, is also to experience a sense of relief. Most of this book concerns how stereotypes about women operate in the law, particularly in criminal justice. These can be exploited by one side or the other: women willing and able to present themselves as virtuous and devoted wives and mothers will be smiled on by the court (especially if white). Women are considered to be family glue rather than actual humans: On the whole, I liked this book. It is organised well with adequate space being given to explore each of the various topics and themes, building arguments. Whilst various texts have been written by onlookers, I have not previously come across a book written by a woman who has the experience of having been within the judicial structure itself, which is part of the reason it is so powerful in what it conveys.

These small, seemingly obvious designs actually are a part of universal design -- which helps make the world we live in more accessible and navigable for those with and without disabilities. I read this book in the summer before I applied to university because I was hoping to find something that was different to the books that give you a general introduction to law. This was definitely different. Now that I have started studying the subject, I still find myself reflecting on some of the propositions she puts forward. In particular, she often talks about how most judges are completely out of touch with the general population, which can definitely impact their judgement. Particularly when I read old cases, I certainly see what she means! I started sharing my thoughts with Steph. She was excited to join me in solving the question “Where’s my Sex Ed 2.0 class?” With that Eve Was Framed was born. Where was my health class for fertility, family building, post-partum, breastfeeding, uterine health, perimenopause, menopause, post-menopause?Join us to make a difference, asking tech platforms like Meta to #StopCensoringSexualHealth. 1) Repost! 2) Sign the petition at bit.ly/intimacyjustice. 3) Follow @intimacyjustice for developments. The Tasting Menu is a group of three to four topics each week to learn more about your body and health to get you to know your body better such as learning how to strengthen your pelvic floor, symptoms you might not realize are from menopause, women and heart health.

A powerful and authoritative polemic … Kennedy cites precedents and incontrovertible evidence to show how a 'web of prejudice, privilege and misinformation affects women' in all their dealings with the law … brave, forceful and eloquent. It may even change things. Kennedy more or less fell into the law and the training for the Bar could only have been less hospitable to her if she hadn't been white. At the Inns of Court, she describes an overwhelmingly male and overtly misogynistic environment steeped in bizarre ritual. The percentage of women in the profession was small and confined to the lower ranks, with hardly any women ascending to the bench (becoming judges). The statistics were even more dire for people of colour whether female or male. I don't usually read non-fiction. I find it dull and boring, and only really read it out of necessity. But in this book I found a kind of compromise.

Women and British justice

Conversely, another riveting (and disturbing) contemporary parallel is the 2009 Greek film Dogtooth about parents, who keep their children cloistered inside their walled property, completely cut off from the “knowledge” of the outside world. This film can be read as a tale of what happens if you stay in the Garden too long and the forbidden fruit is not eaten, such that adult knowledge about morality and sexuality is repressed, forcing it to come out in twisted ways. In a time of women raising their voices about women’s rights, when Roe v. Wade had only so recently been decided, you wouldn't find my mother marching or protesting. She would give her opinion decidedly when asked. And she raised two women who are fiercely independent, strong willed, and grounded in the beliefs she taught us. One of which is: It’s important to believe in something in this life. You should start with believing in yourself. Medical term of the week is a word or phrase we learned recently to expand our vocabulary and knowledge

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment