276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC DN | C for Sony E

£214.995£429.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

This lens has a small, plastic-ribbed focus ring that has the same diameter as the lens barrel — is it not especially easy to find. So for my final distant comparison here’s the Sigma on the left and the Sony on the right, both at 50mm and their maximum apertures of f2.8 and f5.6, so two stops apart. Comparing their results in the middle again shows the Sony on the right can keep-up in this part of the frame, but in the corner there’s a noticeable difference with the Sigma visibly out-performing the Sony kit zoom. Again you’d need to close the Sony down to f8 or smaller to match the Sigma when it’s operating over three stops faster. So a great result for the Sigma 18-50 2.8 for distant subjects. The moderately wide-angle through short telephoto 18-50 (27-75mm full-frame angle of view equivalent) focal length range covers a huge range of general-purpose needs, making it an ideal option for photographing a vast range of subjects.

I just put it on the K30 and shot a few pictures, as I was testing the HDR auto feature in both my K3 (with DA 15 limited and DA21 limited) and my K30 (with DA 18-55). As the spring sun was shining, I shot a lot today at the blooming wisteria on my balcony.And, the overall size and weight of the Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC Lens is ideal for the cameras it is designed for. As far as kit lenses that have impressed without costing a ton, it has mostly been MFT, but at the same time due to sensor size you can 'stop down' APS-C lenses and do a 4:3rd crop to compensate. MFT lenses suffer from less soft edges because the sensor inherently also crops at 4:3rds... vs a more demanding APS-C 3:2. Remember the 'retractable' class of kit lenses are some of the shabbiest classes of lenses around (i.e. Sony 16-50, Nikon 18-55 VR II), etc. I haven't seen much of Samsung's pancake kit. From pixel peeping it looks like the MFT lenses have some of the better tiny kit lenses. Sigma always includes the hood, and the LH582-02 Lens Hood ships with the 18-50mm F2.8 DC DN Contemporary Lens.

Somewhat unusual is that this lens is capable of a significantly higher reproduction ratio at 18mm than 50mm. Lateral (or transverse) CA (Chromatic Aberration) refers to the unequal magnification of all colors in the spectrum. The Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC DN Contemporary Lens has an aesthetically pleasing design that maintains tight tolerances and has a quality finish.

Radeon™ Software for Linux® 18.50 Highlights

Neither the DL 18-50 or DL 24-85 offer built-in viewfinders, an omission many will find problematic, but they do both have a hotshoe which along with Speedlight flashguns can accommodate an optional EVF accessory; also available as a kit. I am however pleased to report the screens on both models tilt and are touch-sensitive. In addition to reducing camera shake, the stabilized imaging sensor provides a still viewfinder image, enabling careful composition. That said it seems to get better as you increase focal length. I don't expect perfection in a cheap kit zoom with WR, but it seems 'decent'. IMO a cut above the Nikon 18-55 and Sony 16-50 for sure. Even the expensive Sony 16-70 IMO gives poor edges/corners... In the Pentax forums review the HD version is said to be noticeably better than the SMC version. I'm interested because I'm don't like the weight of the 16-85.

With a wide aperture, this lens is attractive for photographing the night sky, with the 18mm end typically being of most interest in that regard. The Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC DN Contemporary doubles up as a competent macro lens, delivering almost half-size magnification and very close focusing at 18mm.The phrase "... the use of in-camera aberration correction further eliminates optical imperfections such as distortion ..." [Sigma] warns of impending geometric distortion.

Sigma have used an iris diaphragm with 7 rounded blades for a fairly pleasing rendering of the out-of-focus highlights. Chromatic aberrations, typically seen as purple or blue fringes along contrasty edges, are well controlled with this lens. VignettingWith one of the 18-55 on my K-3 I focused and then I tilted the hood (which is attached to the wobbling front lens). And, yes. I had then to refocus. And if using continuous focusing, the camera constantly refocus if the hood is tilted. This is not acceptable. So - usage of those lenses is a no no for me. Sorry for that Pentax. But, I want sharp photos. Mohsin Khan: And (remember) when We said to the angels;"Prostrate to Adam." So they prostrated except Iblis (Satan). He was one of the jinns; he disobeyed the Command of his Lord. Will you then take him (Iblis) and his offspring as protectors and helpers rather than Me while they are enemies to you? What an evil is the exchange for the Zalimun (polytheists, and wrong-doers, etc).

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment