276°
Posted 20 hours ago

My Name is Asher Lev

£5.495£10.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Un viaggio splendido nel mondo chassidico, visto attraverso gli occhi di un piccolo che cresce e diventa un uomo. In what ways does the shadow of the Second World War and, in particular, the Holocaust hang over the characters in My Name is Asher Lev? While all of the above seems quite heavy and depressing there were plenty of moments of levity, such as when Asher has to paint his first nude, a task sprung on him by his blunt and crotchety (and awesome) art mentor. Throughout the book, the art of art is described very well and in great detail. Anyone interested at all in the world of art will enjoy the evolution of the child prodigy into a budding successful artist and the influence of his outstanding and likable teacher. Fujimoto-Johnson, Sharon. "Art: Chaim Potok's "Brooklyn Crucifixion"." The Spectrum Blog. July 2, 2006. Web. February 25, 2010. < "The Spectrum Blog: Art: Chaim Potok's "Brooklyn Crucifixion" ". Archived from the original on May 10, 2010 . Retrieved February 12, 2010. >.

Vibeke Vasbo was born on the Danish island of Als. She studied German and English at the University of Copenhagen before working as an assistant nurse, crane operator, and, later, teacher. She was also an active member of various women’s and LGBT-rights organisations.

Church Times/Canterbury Press:

The most intriguing character in the book is the Rebbe, who has absolute direction over the lives of members of his community. He even ensures that Asher learns first French, and then Russian. Contrary to the wishes of Asher’s family, the Rebbe encourages his art and his studying under Kahn. The assumption is that the Rebbe has some insight into the will of “the Master of the Universe” which is denied to others, and members of the community do what he directs them to do. The Rebbe asks Asher's father to relocate to Vienna, which would make it easier to perform his work establishing yeshivas throughout Europe. Asher becomes very upset about this and refuses to move to Vienna, in spite of requests from his parents and teachers alike. Rivkeh ultimately decides to stay in Brooklyn with Asher while Aryeh moves to Vienna alone. In Paris he has time to reflect on his past, on his upbringing, on his community, and on his family. He realizes the pain his mother went through during his upbringing. He wants to express this in art—the only symbol he has at his disposal is the crucifixion. He makes two paintings of his mother that employ the crucifix. Sitra Achra, literally The Other Side in Aramaic, is the kabbalistic domain of evil. It contains what is false and impure, the most important component of which is the idea that evil is contained in the Master of the Universe. This idea is not only an impiety, it is also the source of countless other horrors that prevent human beings from appreciating their own reality. The struggle against the Sitra Achra is the central theme of My Name Is Asher Lev, established at the outset and pursued constantly throughout the book. C’è una frase del Vangelo di Luca (Lc 9,25) che dice: “Che giova all’uomo guadagnare il mondo intero se poi perde se stesso?”.

Sono sempre storie di ebrei più o meno ortodossi, alcuni religiosi e dotati di fede ma laici e aperti a ogni forma di sapere e cultura, altri strettamente osservanti - di solito chassidim, qui nella variante, se tale si può definire, ladover, una setta fittizia che Potok ha modellato sui reali Lubavitcher. This book also has a lot of great detail about the art world. This is another realm in which I am an inexperienced traveler. I had a better understanding of art than Judaism, but there were still numerous names, periods, phrases and theories that I didn't understand directly. It all builds up to this pinnacle of frustration, this burst of emotion that brings the most hurt to his parents although that is what his art is about...his hurt, his mother's hurt, his father's hurt. I actually cried through this part. I rarely cry. It's that good. Even though this book focussed on conflict between art and Judaism, it goes much deeper than that dynamic. I found myself relating many times to things that Asher would say or think. He was conflicted between his religious heritage and the "carnal" world. He was conflicted between respecting his parents and becoming his own person. He was conflicted between Tradition and Growth. He was conflicted between two things that were both "good." So much of his character development embodies principles that apply to us all. E’ il primo libro che leggo di Potok ed è stato subito amore. Parole potenti, che richiamano immagini, come gli alberi che diventano neri sotto la pioggia o il velo di acqua sulla spiaggia che descrive un’assenza, e che hanno in sè la storia della sua gente. Accenni, semplici ma dolorosi, brevi ma efficaci. E il dissidio che lacera l’anima di Asher arriva fino a noi, in un sentimento che ce lo fa capire ed insieme amare.The art work worried his parents, particularly his father. They both hoped he would outgrow this foolis

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment