276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Just One Damned Thing After Another: The Chronicles of St. Mary's series

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Jodi Taylor is an English author of fantasy-style historical fiction, [1] historical romance [2] and romance [3] [4] novels.

Still, if character-driven stories are your cup of tea, then you’ll find plenty to like. Max is hilarious, and I love her spirited and crafty nature. Working with a bunch of time traveling historians is pretty much as fun and crazy as you’d expect, and even the missions that end in complete disasters seem to have a humorous side. There’s also a strong romantic component, and I loved the irresistible attraction that sizzled between Max and Chief Farrell. Long Story Short (July 2019) – The second collection of short stories ( Christmas Past; The Battersea Barricades; The Steam-Pump Jump; And Now For Something Completely Different; When Did You Last See Your Father?; Desiccated Water; Markham and the Anal Probing; Little Donkey) Obviously, I cannot go into any details because that would spoil the fun, but I can tell you this: a rollercoaster's got nothing on Jodi Taylor. So this book has a number of strong characters but centres mainly on the historian Madelaine Maxwell. She is offered the chance of a job by one of her ex teachers at an offshoot to the University of Thirsk and goes along to see what comes of it out of interest and respect for her old teacher. Little does she know what wonders and adventures the job will bring her.

ˌone (damned/damn) thing after aˈnother

a b c "The Chronicles of St Mary's Series (14 books)". Goodreads. Goodreads Inc . Retrieved 4 August 2017. Just One Damned Thing After Another". USA Today. Gannett Satellite Information Network, LLC. 21 January 2016 . Retrieved 5 August 2017. The phrase first occurs in this unsigned epigram, published in the Wilkes-Barre Times-Leader (Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania) of Friday 5 th March 1909: Bob has a motto on his wall which says ‘Life is just one damned thing after another!'” said Jimmie. But I refused to smile. I was too distinctly annoyed. So what's the problem? The writing. If I had to describe it in one word (and this is just what I refer to it in my head; please don't take me too seriously), it would be British. Namely, dry, wry and matter-of-fact. If ever there was emotion involved in the plot, you wouldn't know it from Jodi Taylor's tone all throughout her book. Sometimes, this wordy style really works to the advantage of the storyteller and gives humor and personality to every scene: my best example for a successful pull-off of "British" style writing would be Terry Pratchett. Unfortunately, Jodi Taylor's attempt didn't sit as well with me and because of that, my enjoyment of Just One Damned Thing After Another was seriously dampened.

O’Malley was credited with authorship of the famous phrase, “Life is just one damned thing after another.” Taylor, Jodi (2013). Just One Damned Thing After Another. Abercynon, Wales: Accent Press Ltd. p.11. ISBN 978-1910939482. Although the phrase 'time travel' is so sci-fi. We don't do that. Here at St Mary's we 'investigate historical events in contemporary time'. I've done it! I can't believe I finished this book and am still alive! Just so you don't get the wrong idea: it was that thrilling and gut-wrenching! I didn't find the vast majority of the jokes, quips, zaniness etc. in this book at all funny, and often any comedic tone was undercut by jarring moments of violence, quite gratuitously nasty (I thought) sexual violence, and/or non-comedic (melo)drama. It's possible to successfully mix some degree of serious drama or darkness with zany comedy (cf. Deadpool, Yahtzee Croshaw's books, a lot of 2000AD comics, Transmetropolitan, The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy, some of Neal Stephenson's body of work), but it usually requires a lot more finesse than is displayed here, and/or a spikier brand of comedy like "gallows humour".

one thing after another

So tell me, Dr Maxwell, if the whole of history lay before you...where would you go? What would you like to witness?' It is better to be a “has been” than a “never was,” says Uncle Joseph, and adds “What is life, anyway, but one doggoned, golbinged, dodrotted thing after another !!!***???!!!???!! anyhow?” Just One Damned Thing After Another". Publishers Weekly. PWxyz, LLC. 15 February 2016 . Retrieved 5 August 2017. Like many time travel books though, this one had its ups and downs. My main criticism is that, for a novel featuring time traveling academics who label themselves historians (and who also work at an institute for historical research), there was in fact disappointingly little history involved. I don’t consider myself to be a huge history buff or anything, but for me one of the biggest perks of reading time travel stories is being able to absorb interesting historical details and facts behind past events, people, and places. I thought this would be a book like that, but it turned out not to be the case. While the publisher blurb says “From eleventh-century London to World War I, from the Cretaceous Period to the destruction of the Great Library at Alexandria”, the truth is, the most exciting time period Max gets to visit will probably appeal more to dinosaur enthusiasts or paleontologists rather than history fans.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment