276°
Posted 20 hours ago

In a Jar

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

First thing’s first, get a load of different colours of paper or card and a pen. I used paper, mainly because it’s all I had, but also because it’s easier to fold and fit in a jar. (Here’s where the wooden treasure chest would come in handy – you can fit all sorts in one of those.) You can use one colour of paper but I wanted mine to be colourful and fun, plus its easier to distinguish between each piece of paper. Overall, this is a sweet little book about friendship and celebrating the things that hold friendships together. There’s only one final thing left to do – find somewhere to display your brand new book jar! Display it with pride! Make that wooden treasure chest the centrepiece of your pirate-theme bedroom or the plastic box the feature of your bedside table! Here’s where I put mine, next to my little Mike Wazowski…

Ready to begin? Here is a list of recipes that you will surely love. It’s easy and very convenient to make. Let’s get started! Breakfast Mason Jar Meals This was a very lovely little story about friendship and memory that made a perfect bed time read for our nightly story time in the "big bed" ritual. Ultimate Dehydrator Cookbook (read my review here). Not only is this a great technique book on how to dehydrate those products that can build your meals in a jar, she includes a lot of “just add water” meals, too! Then Evelyn must move away with her family and Llewellyn is unsure how they will still be able to share all the things they've collected. Eventually he figures out how to keep sharing all his experiences and new memories with Evelyn and connect with new friends now that she is farther away. Their collection is marvelous. The different shaped jars. The imagination/conversation it inspires.Llewellyn, a little rabbit with fabulously absurd long ears, likes to collect things in jars. Mostly small things like stones and feathers. Then he meets Evelyn, also a rabbit, and together they begin to collect extraordinary things, like rainbows and the sound of the ocean. They fill Llewellyn's walls with these things and the reader is treated to brilliant jar shaped illustrations of snowy landscapes, bright summer days, a small quiet moments of friendship. These gifts would be so much better used than simply a few #10 cans of ‘raw material’ (i.e. freeze-dried foods) that may not be understood nor may the recipient be knowledgeable about how to use them in their everyday life.

The concept here is interesting. I'm not sure if all readers will understand it (I'd be worried about those with more literal thinking), but it is explained quite well. Llewellyn isn't actually putting experiences into his jars; he's putting in objects that remind him of those experiences. But the illustrations could cause some confusion if they're taken too literally. Next, cut out all of your book titles and fold all of them. It’ll take a while and your fingers might feel like you’re getting minor friction burn, but IT’S WORTH IT. Once you have a pile of paper, stuff them into your jar (or treasure chest) and give them a little shake to shuffle them up. That bit’s optional, but mine were all almost organised by shelf and I don’t want that – I want variety!My special thanks to Brenda Keneghan and Dr Lorraine Gibson for arranging and undertaking the analysis. Reference This is a somewhat-abstract picture book about a little rabbit. His name is Llewellyn (there aren't nearly enough picture book characters named Llewellyn!) and he likes to collect things. He collects simple things, but those objects evoke complex memories. One day, while he's out collecting, he meets another little bunny named Evelyn. To remind her of a beautiful sunset, he gives her a jar full of light. From then on, they're best friends. But, one day, Evelyn has to move away. Llewellyn feels like an empty jar. He decides to send her a special gift, and the two bunnies realize that their friendship is still alive; it's just different.

While they don’t last as long as the individual freeze-dried or dehydrated commercial products that are sealed in those #10 cans, if stored properly with shelf-stable ingredients, they can last up to 5-7 years. Keep in mind that you don’t have to be a part of those companies to create these meals on your own, with your own supplies, or with your own vendors. These are also a mix of Youtube videos and blog posts because there’s so much available everywhere! A valuable lesson . . . [Marcero’s] empathetic, engaging approach respects young children and meets them where they are.” —The Horn BookLlewellyn places objects in jars from places and moments he’s been. Later, when he opens them, he is transported…or rather, it is transported to him. The leaves falling in the white woods are suddenly falling about him as he sits in his room upon his bed.

Gorgeous illustrations, poetic prose, and a relatable protagonist make Deborah Marcero’s tale the kind that you can return to again and again . . .Handles complex emotional topics in a way that’s easy for kids to understand—and parents to enjoy. —Entertainment Weekly This was a trial run of a larger program we talked about doing for Banned Books Week. We thought we’d have a bunch of banned books shredded—either from old and beat up weeded copies or photocopies—and have teens match them up. Instead of jars I thought Ziploc freezer bags would be more malleable and let them interact with the paper so they could search for clues and research some of the books. In a Jar will be an obvious choice for a Moving book, but it’s much, much more. The objects in the jar would be mere objects if not for the memory they recall. The collection was lovely but ordinary before Llewelyn found Evelyn. Their relationship made what went into the jar all the more marvelous, extraordinary. In a Jar is very much a friendship book in a present tense; a book about memories that is about the making of them. It’s an active book, creating the memories, collecting the moments, sharing, gifting them--not a passive visitation of jars long made. It inspires not only the imagination of what would I collect, but with whom might I collect, or share, or gift? Brenda Keneghan of the Science Section arranged for analysis of the gases to be undertaken by Dr Lorraine Gibson of the Chemistry Department at Strathclyde University. Samples of the gases emitted were collected by leaving passive sampling tubes near the object for several weeks. The samples were analysed using gas chromatography/mass spectrometry. The components of the gases were identified as ethyl acetate, butanoic acid and phenol - corrosive compounds that could cause damage to other objects. It was therefore advised that the object should not be returned to its display case or storage in the NAL. Can you guess the title from the photos? Here’s the answer—but let me know in the comments if you want to guess.This is one of those lovely, meditative kinds of reads where you spend almost more time pointing out all the little details in the bright, beautiful illustrations than you do reading. Its a book to take your time with, which is a wonderful message to give to young children. Its also a testament to the importance of sharing experiences and memories with others. Llewellyn was a rabbit who loved to collect things in jars. He collected small things from his days like bright yellow leaves in the autumn which would remind him of what he had done and seen. One night when the sunset turned the sky “the color of tart cherry syrup,” Llewellyn went down to the shore with a lot of jars. He gathered the light of the night into his jars and gave one to a girl who came by. Evelyn was amazed to find that the in the jar glowed all night long the color of sunsets. Soon the two of them were gathering all sorts of things in jars like rainbows, the sound of the ocean, and even entire seasons. Their collection got very large, until one day Evelyn’s family moved away. For some time, Llewellyn felt like an empty jar but then he had an idea. He went out one night and collected a meteor shower in a jar and sent it to Evelyn. In turn, she collected the sounds and lights of the big city she now lived in and sent it to Llewellyn. Llewellyn set out on an autumn day to gather a jar for Evelyn and that’s when he met Max, and Llewellyn happened to have a jar for him too.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment