276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Cemetery Road: an intense crime thriller from the #1 New York Times bestselling author

£6.495£12.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The rating is only for the writing. I did enjoy the initial half of the book for the story but later continued reading because of the writing alone. It was spectacular. The setting of the story is in a small town called Bienville. The characters were so life like, I believe I can find them if I take a trip to that place. Sister Evelyn (started a Church plant on the Southey Green Estate, then left to work in Hull) Notable Church Secretaries When Marshall McEwan left his hometown at age eighteen, he vowed never to return. The trauma that drove him away ultimately spurred him to become one of the most successful journalists in Washington D.C. But just as the political chaos in the nation's capital lifts him to new heights, Marshall is forced to return home in spite of his boyhood vow. I never meant to kill my brother. I never set out to hate my father. I never dreamed I would bury my own son. Nor could I have imagined I would betray my childhood friend who saved my life or win a Pulitzer Prize for telling a lie. Below-ground and cremated remains plots, which can hold up to four sets of cremated remains, are available at:

Summary and reviews of Cemetery Road by Greg Iles - BookBrowse

Greg Iles is one of the few authors that I make sure I read the newly released book right away. Other authors I can wait until I come around to it. The author has an amazing gift of weaving so many concepts together into one book and that is the case with this offering. In this one we explore unexpected loss of loved ones, political graft, love triangles, and a major conspiracy. All of these are put together without missing a beat. Even with all these concepts that isn't even the main concept of exploration in this book. That would be the choices we make whether we are forced into them or not and how we live with their consequences. These consequences could lead into heartache and pain and that is the result we have to bear. We are a vibrant multi-ethnic congregation just to the west of the city centre of Sheffield. Our doors open during the week for different activities, as we seek to serve God in the local community of Sharrow, the city of Sheffield and the wider South Yorkshire region. Like his Penn Cage series, this is classic Greg Iles: the main character is a writer, it is set in a small Southern city (Bienville), with a plot combining long-buried secrets, southern culture, complicated family dynamics, and nasty politics. Bienville is struggling with socioeconomic depression, corruption, murder, scheming politicians, and powerful, rich, white businessmen with no scruples (the Poker Club.)The story starts with a murder, and a really cool excavation involving Native bones and weapons, and then turns into an investigation against the excessively rich and powerful. Set in Bienville, Mississippi (which, translated to English, literally means “Good City”) , with a large cast of characters, “Cemetery Road” is a very lengthy tome about power, family and one’s moral code, and has that recognizable Illes’ charm.

Cemetery Road Baptist Church Cemetery Road Baptist Church

The bad: It doesn’t take very long for the characters to morph into roles of complete predictability. Under scrutiny is the moral compromises made in the name of capitalism, the mythology of our youth, the hope of recapturing a lost opportunity, while trying to do what is right for all concerned. For Marshall, it is more personal, perhaps, as he is also coping with deeply embedded grief and carrying a heavy burden of guilt bestowed upon him by his embittered father. Please wear suitable clothing if you have to visit a cemetery during or immediately following heavy rain.

Keighley Area Office

You can read a little about the early history of the Church from this link to an article in biblicalstudies.org.uk marking the centenary of our founding: CRB early history Cemetery Road is not just a suspenseful thriller, with all its many twists and turns, and layers of deceptions. It is also a stellar piece of southern fiction, with Gothic elements that only the south can lay claim to. There’s no meaning to be found in tragedy. Only in our response to it. What we do matters, nothing else.” We’re all blind about some things. Different things for each of us. That’s what makes life so hard.”

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment