276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Egon Schiele Prints Set of 6 Egon Scheile Paintings (8x10 Unframed) (8 x 10)

£12.71£25.42Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

In this painting, one of Schiele's most complex and haunting works, the female figure, gaunt and tattered, clings to the male figure of death, while surrounded by an equally tattered, quasi-surreal landscape. As elsewhere in his work, in this composition Schiele combines the personal and the allegorical—in this case by turning to a theme deriving from the medieval concept of the Dance of Death that reached its height in 15 th-century German art. Death and the Maiden was painted around the time Schiele separated from his longtime lover, Wally Neuzil, and several months before he married his new lover, Edith Harms. The painting memorializes the end of his affair with Neuzil, seemingly conveying this separation as the death of true love. Interestingly enough, the manner in which Schiele's figures are nearly consumed by their clothing and abstracted surroundings suggests the portraiture of Klimt, who likewise placed his subjects within indecipherable environments. Whitford, Frank (1989). Egon Schiele (World of Art). Thames & Hudson; World of Art Ser. ISBN 0500181837. New York. Neue Galerie. "Egon Schiele: Portraits," October 9, 2014–January 19, 2015, extended to April 20, 2015, no. 111.

In your research, you learned that in her old age, Adele told an art historian she had an affair with Schiele. What can you tell us about that? Lots of readers have told me once they finish the book, they go off and they look for these women’s stories. And that, for me, is the dream. Smith, Jeffrey K. (25 October 2020). Scoundrels, Cads, and Other Great Artists. Rowman & Littlefield. ISBN 9781538126783 . Retrieved 28 September 2022.Egon Schiele: The Radical Nude is at the Courtauld Gallery, London from 23 October to 18 January 2015. Schiele's life and work have also been the subject of essays, including a discussion of his works by fashion photographer Richard Avedon in an essay on portraiture entitled "Borrowed Dogs." [28] Mario Vargas Llosa uses the work of Schiele as a conduit to seduce and morally exploit a main character in his 1997 novel The Notebooks of Don Rigoberto. [29] Wes Anderson's film The Grand Budapest Hotel features a painting by Rich Pellegrino that is modeled after Schiele's style which, as part of a theft, replaces a so-called Flemish/ Renaissance masterpiece, but is then destroyed by the angry owner when he discovers the deception. [30] The cover of David Bowie's 1979 Lodger album is inspired by Schiele's self-portraits [31] and an image of Schiele appears on the cover of the 2013 single The Stars (Are Out Tonight). [32]

The Courtauld claims its exhibition to be the first ever solo show of Schiele in a British public gallery and I believe it. Egon Schiele is undoubtedly one of the most powerful and original painters of the human body of any time, yet there is no work by him in the Tate or British Museum collections and only one print in the V&A. Most exceptionally, Alessandra interviewed and photographed Gertrude Schiele and Adele Harms, the only two muses then still alive. She sent me the recordings, which was exceptionally exciting. Unfortunately, I don’t speak German, but I heard the tones of their voices and how haughty Adele still sounded. Alessandra confirmed to me that she had this very posh Viennese accent.Self-Portrait with Chinese Lantern Plant (1912) by Egon Schiele; Egon Schiele, Public domain, via Wikimedia Commons Kallir and scholar Gerald Izenberg regard Schiele as fluid in sexuality and gender. Kallir says Schiele was "struggling with his own sexual feelings and gender norms" during a historical period of shifting gender expectations, the early women's movement, and criminalization of homosexuality. Some critics in the 21st century read his artwork as queer. [21] [22]

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment