276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Song of the South [1946]

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

a b Gevinson, Alan (1997). Within Our Gates: Ethnicity in American Feature Films, 1911-1960. California: University of California Press. p.956. ISBN 978-0-520-20964-0. The Splash Mountain log flume ride, which opened at Disneyland in 1989, and at Tokyo Disneyland and Magic Kingdom in 1992, is based on the animated portions of Song of the South. As with the film, the ride had drawn controversy over the years due to the racial issues associated with the work. Amid the George Floyd protests in 2020, Disney announced that they will retool the ride in Disneyland and Magic Kingdom to remove the Song of the South elements and replace them with a concept based on Disney's 2009 film The Princess and the Frog. Disney stated that development of the project began in 2019. [85] The New York Times reported that Disney executives had privately discussed removing the attraction's Song of the South theme for at least five years, before putting into development the Princess and the Frog theme. [86] In July 2022, Disney announced that the new ride will be called Tiana's Bayou Adventure and will open in both parks in late 2024. [87] The Magic Kingdom version of Splash Mountain closed in January 2023, [88] while the Disneyland version closed in May 2023. [89] All I Want": Traditional, new arrangement and lyrics by Ken Darby; performed by the Hall Johnson Choir RKO Pictures to Exceed Million in Prod. Cost in Coming 'Year of Years' ". Variety. September 12, 1945. p.12 – via Internet Archive. Will say one thing, I am sure the sing at the end changed, because I'm sure it was sung as the slave song "let my people go"

My name is Howard Cromer. I live in Cypress, I'm a Disney shareholder. I'm actually delivering a message from my son, 10. He wants to know in recent years, in the midst of all your re-releases of your videos, why you haven't released Song of the South on your Disney Classics? ..." It may well be my age and not remembering and then maybe hearing "let my people go" someehere else. Walt Disney goes over the storyboards with Bobby Driscoll and Luana Patten in a publicity photo for the film. Korkis, Jim (December 19, 2018). "Disney Christmas Treats". Mouse Planet . Retrieved July 27, 2019.

This piece was originally published in November 2019. It has been updated on March 29, 2022, timed to the 75th anniversary of the film’s theatrical release on March 30. Song of the South, made under the working title Uncle Remus, [3] was the very first film produced by Walt Disney to employ professional actors. [4] James Baskett was the first live actor to be hired by Disney. [5] Baskett got the job of portraying Uncle Remus after answering an ad to provide the voice of a talking butterfly. "I thought that, maybe, they'd try me out to furnish the voice for one of Uncle Remus' animals," Baskett is quoted as saying. Upon review of his voice, Disney wanted to meet Baskett personally, and had him tested for the role of Uncle Remus. Not only did Baskett get the part of the butterfly's voice, but also the voice of Br'er Fox and the live-action role of Uncle Remus as well. [6] Additionally, Baskett filled in as the voice of Br'er Rabbit for Johnny Lee in the "Laughing Place" scene after Lee was called away to do promotion for the picture. [4] File:Song of the South on location.jpg On May 10, 1944, the title was changed from Uncle Remus to Song of the South. [10] Production Casting Solomon, Charles (November 21, 1986). "Movie Review: Animation Sings in 'Song of the South' ". Los Angeles Times . Retrieved September 19, 2019.

The Brave Little Toaster (1987) • Valiant (2005) • The Wild (2006) • A Christmas Carol (2009) • Gnomeo & Juliet (2011) • Mars Needs Moms (2011) • Strange Magic (2015) • The Lion King (2019) Unlike some Disney titles that come with certain content warnings on the Disney+ streaming service, “Song of the South” will never be available even with an “outdated cultural depictions” disclaimer on the platform. Lastly, this is a fantasy film like anything else Disney produced. The very fact that the live action sections of the film were shot in Phoenix, Arizona about a make believe Georgia Plantation goes to show this is entirely fantasy fiction. Let the Rain Pour Down": (downtempo) Written by Ken Darby and Foster Carling; performed by the Hall Johnson Choir

It’s the Origin of “Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah”

Over the years, Disney has made a variety of statements about whether and when the film would be re-released. In March 2010, Disney CEO Robert Iger stated that there were no plans to release the movie on DVD, calling the film "antiquated" and "fairly offensive". Most recently, however, on November 15, 2010, Disney creative director Dave Bossert stated in an interview, "I can say there's been a lot of internal discussion about Song of the South. And at some point we're going to do something about it. I don't know when, but we will. We know we want people to see Song of the South because we realize it's a big piece of company history, and we want to do it the right way." [27] Walt Disney had wanted to produce a film based on the Uncle Remus stories for some time. In 1939 he began negotiating with the Harris family for the film rights, and in 1944, filming for Song of the South began. The studio constructed a plantation set, for the outdoor scenes, in Phoenix, Arizona, while other scenes were filmed in Hollywood. The film is predominantly live action, but includes three animated segments, which were later released as stand-alone television features. Some scenes also feature a combination of live action with animation. Song of the South premiered in Atlanta in November 1946 and the remainder of its initial theater run was a financial success. The song " Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah" won the 1947 Academy Award for Best Original Song [4] and Baskett received an Academy Honorary Award for his performance as Uncle Remus. That infectious earworm about looking up at the sunny side of life, composed by Allie Wrubel with lyrics by Ray Gilbert, earned a Best Original Song Academy Award, and remains a Disney favorite. Although the film has been re-released several times (most recently in 1986), the Disney corporation has avoided making it directly available on home video or DVD in the United States because the frame story was deemed too controversial by studio management. Film critic Roger Ebert has supported this position, claiming that most Disney films become a part of the consciousness of American children, who take films more literally than do adults. [15] In the U.S., only excerpts from the animated segments have ever appeared in Disney's DVDs (such as the 2004 two-disc release of Alice in Wonderland (1951)), television shows, and the popular log-flume attraction Splash Mountain is based upon the same animated portions. Parsons, Luella (February 28, 1960). "That Little Girl in 'Song of the South' a Big Girl Now". Lincoln Sunday Journal and Star . Retrieved September 2, 2008.

Rapf was a minority, a Jew, and an outspoken left-winger, and he himself feared that the film would inevitably be Uncle-Tomish. "That's exactly why I want you to work on it," Walt told him, "because I know that you don't think I should make the movie. You're against Uncle Tomism, and you're a radical." [13] Disney chief Bob Iger has said that “Song of the South”“wouldn’t necessarily sit right or feel right to a number of people today,” but others have called for Disney+ to host the movie as an historic artifact. Even early in the film's production, there was concern that the material would encounter controversy. Disney publicist Vern Caldwell wrote to producer Perce Pearce that "the negro situation is a dangerous one. Between the negro haters and the negro lovers there are many chances to run afoul of situations that could run the gamut all the way from the nasty to the controversial." Songs by Ray Gilbert, Sam Coslow, Allie Wrubel, Arthur Johnston, Johnny Lange, Hy Heath, Eliot Daniel, Robert MacGimsey, Foster Carling If you tally up every single slave brought to the New World (Includes North America, SOUTH AMERICA and ALL the Islands around & in between starting from 1525 and ending in 1866Chen, Eve (April 12, 2023). "Disneyland's Splash Mountain closing date, new Tiana Bayou's Adventure details announced". usatoday.com . Retrieved April 12, 2023. News Archives: 2007 Disney Shareholder Meeting". Song of the South.net. March 8, 2007 . Retrieved April 20, 2007. Walt Disney Classics (1992) - The Sword in the Stone, Dumbo, Song of the South, and Alice in Wonderland

Error on call to Template:cite web: Parameters url and title must be specifiedMike Brantley (January 6, 2002). . Alabama Mobile Register. Retrieved on 2007-01-18. Br'er Rabbit's Laughing Place: (~5 minutes) Based on " The Laughing Place". The song "Everybody's Got a Laughing Place" is featured. The poor white family were much the same way, but of a middling quality, and the aristocratic southerners were nearly always portrayed as clean, even after something as absurd as being gored by a bull (I know its disney, but they could have smeared some dirt on him)Song of the South Memorabilia". Song of the South.net. Archived from the original on February 13, 2007 . Retrieved January 18, 2007. In a October 15, 1946 article in the Atlanta Constitution, columnist Harold Martin noted that to bring Baskett to Atlanta, where he would not have been allowed to participate in any of the festivities, "would cause him many embarrassments, for his feelings are the same as any man's". The most commonly cited problem is what critics call the film’s idealized version of post-Civil War America, where slavery had only just been abolished. The Guardian was chief among those who found this element to be uncomfortable, writing: As early as October 1945, a newspaper strip named "Walt Disney Presents "Uncle Remus" and his tales of Br'er Rabbit" appeared in the United States, and this production continued until 1972. There has also been episodes for the series produced for the Disney comic books worldwide, in the U.S.A., Denmark and the Netherlands, from the 40's up until the present day. Br'er Bear and Br'er Fox also appeared frequently in Disney's Big Bad Wolf stories, although here, Br'er Bear was usually cast as an honest farmer and family man, instead of the bad guy in his original appearances. A storyline featuring the characters also ran as the 1986 iteration of the annual Disney Christmas Story newspaper comic; this is unfortunately the only installment of the strip that was not reprinted in IDW Publishing's Disney's Christmas Classics collection (despite Br'er Bear appearing in two earlier storylines that were reprinted in the book). Bosley Crowther wrote in The New York Times, "More and more, Walt Disney's craftsmen have been loading their feature films with so-called 'live action' in place of their animated whimsies of the past, and by just those proportions has the magic of these Disney films decreased", citing the ratio of live action to animation at two to one, concluding that is "approximately the ratio of its mediocrity to its charm". [57] A review in Variety felt the film overall was "sometimes sentimental, slow and overlong". Nevertheless, the review felt the songs were "above-average, with one 'Zip-adee-do-da,' [ sic] likely to be one of the season's favorites" and the animated sequences as "great stuff". They also praised Driscoll and Patten as "two of the most natural and appealing youngsters" and Baskett's performance was "as warming a portrait as has been seen in a long time". [58] A review in Time magazine praised the animated sequences as "topnotch Disney—and delightful", but cautioned that it was "bound to land its maker in hot water" because the character of Uncle Remus was "bound to enrage all educated Negroes and a number of damyankees". [59]

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment