276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Between: A guide for parents of eight to thirteen-year-olds

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Written by Deborah Reber, a best-selling author and mother in the midst of an eye-opening journey with her son who is twice exceptional (he has ADHD, Asperger’s, and is highly gifted), Differently Wired is a how-to, a manifesto, a book of wise advice, and more. It is the kind of book I will probably pick up again as we progress along this new path (and again as I navigate these years with my daughter). Marc Brackett is a professor in Yale University’s Child Study Center and founding director of the Yale Center for Emotional Intelligence. In fact, there is evidence to show that adolescents today are considerably better in many ways than those from previous generations: rates of smoking, underage drinking, drug use, 2 antisocial behaviour and teen pregnancies 3 have fallen, while academic achievement, concern for the environment and acceptance of diversity have risen. Children in the 'between' stage seem to change almost daily, leaving many parents struggling to understand the child they once thought they knew so well.

Instead, parents are shown how to replace their own accommodating behaviors with supportive responses that demonstrate both acceptance of children's difficulties and confidence in their ability to cope.However, as they grow, they will often encounter difficulties in these new relationships – Chapter 4 looks at friendships in the tween years and what you can do as a parent when they don’t run smoothly. Please include what you were doing when this page came up and the Cloudflare Ray ID found at the bottom of this page. Its compassionate, pragmatic approach will help listeners feel less ashamed and more empowered to get their, ahem, act together instead of losing it.

Proud sleep trainer here and I'm seeing the results now many years later with happy well-adjusted kids doing well at school. There is a lot of food for thought as well as practical tips on how to prepare our tweens for real life.Ross Greene, a distinguished clinician and pioneer in the treatment of kids with social, emotional, and behavioral challenges, has worked with thousands of explosive children, and he has good news: these kids aren't attentionseeking, manipulative, or unmotivated, and their parents aren't passive, permissive disciplinarians. My oldest is only 7, so I’m a little ahead of my game, but this book was full of practical advice I can already see being useful! Our tweens are our future, so we should raise them to know that they matter, and that they can make a difference to whatever cause they choose to devote themselves to. We take their backchat, rudeness and refusal to listen or do what we tell them to do as an indication that they are lacking in respect for us and we meet it with punishments, chastisements and consequences. If we don’t, we are doing our tweens a huge injustice that may impact them negatively for many years to come.

This innate fear would have kept our offspring safe, at a time when they would have been most at risk if left alone. I’ve read Sarah’s previous books and nuggets from her mailing list and this age group definitely needed its own book.

I found a lot of useful info in this book, including the changes that happen in the brain that cause “tweens” to act/react in the way they do. Making up a ‘first period box’ for girls, before they start their periods (known as menarche), helps them to feel prepared and by demystifying products that they may use, the whole experience becomes far less anxious for them. The middle years of childhood tend to be overlooked entirely, with a black hole of information until the teenage years – thirteen plus, the last years of childhood.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment