276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Secrets of a Sun King: ‘THE QUEEN OF HISTORICAL FICTION’ Guardian: 1

£3.995£7.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

In Emma Carrol’s latest historical adventure for Middle Grade we find Lilian and her friends in a race against time to stop the Pharaoh’s curse.

A powerpoint based around chapter 2 of Secrets of a Sun King by Emma Carroll designed for Year 6 Whole Class Reading. I would have liked more scenes with Lil and her grandfather. I liked the scene at their Sunday roast. Armistice Day: A Collection of Remembrance - Spark Interest and Educate Children about Historical Moments A lovely, exciting story about the opening of Tutankhamen's tomb in 1922 that'll make readers feel as though they were really there. I love Emma's writing - she can bring history to life, and this is another great book from her. (10+)A sheet where they have to write a story about being on an adventure and discovering a tomb in Egypt Hello Yellow - 80 Books to Help Children Nurture Good Mental Health and Support With Anxiety and Wellbeing - This book is a well-paced historical adventure with a wonderfully intimate heart centred in a story of steadfast friendships and personal remembrance. The ancient diary entries that punctuate Lilian's narrative were a lovely addition, giving us a voice into the past that felt both fresh and of the time. Lilian is a clever and conscientious kid, who is immediately easy to love. She has an engaging voice, a thirst for adventure, and a lot of loyalty for her friends and family. Her story gently takes some deep topics like the death of a friend and gives it warmth, a strong sense of peace, and a wonderfully satisfying ending. The book has a feeling of a classic adventure book with the theme being Egypt. The heroin/main character is Lillian, whose characteristic is intelligent, adventurous and bold. The story was good vocabulary including names, places, and artefacts that originally come from Egypt.

This time she has turned her skill to the discovery of King Tutankhamen’s tomb in 1922 and with her usual flair has woven a plot mixing historical facts with fictional characters and discoveries. I liked that skin colour wasn't an issue and wondered how Mrs Mendoza got on with society in her choice of partner.I found this book’s plot very entertaining and exciting. I would definitely recommend this book to others. Fantastic resource. I shall be using chapter 1 and 2 resources with my class. Very well presented! Please say you are doing the rest of the chapters :-) There are a total of 126 SMART Notebook screens (in one file) and each lesson is clearly marked, along with details about which lesson each chapter should be read, to aid and link to the learning. A fast paced, thoroughly researched and fascinating historical adventure with ancient gods and curses to appease and unscrupulous villains to outwit. LoveReading4Kids exists because books change lives, and buying books through LoveReading4Kids means you get to change the lives of future generations, with 25% of the cover price donated to schools in need. Join our community to get personalised book suggestions, extracts straight to your inbox, 10% off RRPs, and to change children’s lives.

The story starts off in London 1922, Lilian Kaye finds a parcel on her grandad's doorstep with a note about a strange curse. It was sent by a famous Egyptologist, who was found dead that very morning. For your chance to win a signed copy of Secrets of a Sun King by Emma Carroll, all you have to do is decorate an ornate design onto a jar.Plot: A young girl named Lilian (Lil) has a grandpa who loves Egypt and he falls ill from a curse and she goes to feed her grandpa’s cat (Nefertiti) and sees some parcels and makes friend with a girl (Tulip) and they talk about it. I certainly found the characters very interesting and they each had an important role to play which made the story even more fantastic. My favourite character has to be Lilian Kaye because she is courageous enough to go all the way to Egypt to save her ill grandad from a deadly curse.

Every time Emma Carroll publishes a new book I rush out to buy it, and I’m never disappointed. She has been declared “The Queen of Historical Fiction”, and if you are looking for historical novels aimed at the MG audience there is no finer writer. Education Shed Ltd, Severn House, Severn Bridge, Riverside North, Bewdley, Worcestershire, UK, DY12 1AB I enjoyed the way that the story’s twists and turns develop out of Carroll’s well-researched knowledge of the period. For example, Mrs Mendoza is never chosen for top assignments for the Washington Post because of her sex. They travel to Egypt 1922 style: by boat, train to Athens, a smelly cargo boat to Cairo, another train to Luxor, and finally by camel. It all takes days – will the children and Mrs Mendoza be on time? I learned a lot about how Egyptian pharaohs were treated after their death. The plot of this book was exciting. Olive and her brother have been evacuated to Devon, but big sister Sukie is still missing from the night of the bombs. Emma Carroll is a natural storyteller: there's a good twist towards the end that even the most wily readers won't see coming.

I liked the characters and thought Lil was an independent and brave girl, Tulip was resourceful and Oz was clever. I thought maybe Oz had autism. You’ll see this book on the bookstores’ shelves and it will grab your attention just by its lovely image. The vocabulary and various range of adjectives, similes, and metaphors paint a picture of what the setting would be like if you were there seeing it for yourself.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment