276°
Posted 20 hours ago

ASUS Laptop ROG Strix SCAR 16 G634JZ 16.0” WQXGA 240Hz 1100nits Gaming Laptop (Intel i9-13980HX, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Windows 11) Includes ROG HDR Nebula Display

£1.5£3Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Top-tier components require power, especially when it comes to maximizing your GPU's performance. Powered by NVIDIA DLSS 3, ultra-efficient Ada Lovelace arch, and Max-Q Technologies, the NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Laptop GPU is fully unleashed with a max TGP of 175W with Dynamic Boost. I’ll also add that this Scar generation still implements a system of 4x speakers (two under the screen, two on the bottom) and no biometrics: no IR camera and no finger sensor. The Scar 16 compensates by being more compact and lighter (2.5 Kg vs 3.1 kg), which make it a more versatile laptop format for those of you who need to get your computer to work or school every other day. It also offers a beautiful mini LED display with HDR support, an option not available on the Scar 18, and a more minimalist keyboard layout. Mostly everything else is identical between the two, though.

Powered by NVIDIA DLSS 3, the ultra-efficient Ada Lovelace arch, and Max-Q Technologies, the Katana 17 B13V delivers exceptional gaming graphics with lifelike details, vibrant colours, and lightning-fast performance.This configuration can easily handle all the modern games at QHD+ resolution and Ultra settings, with or without RT. While still a step down from the RTX 4090 model, the gaming performance of this RTX 4080 Scar 16 is still a notable improvement over the fastest gaming laptops of the past generations, with the Core i9 HX processors and the RTX 3080Ti 175W dGPU. All that power in hungriness comes at a price, however and it means that while the Strix Scar 16's hour and twenty minute battery life sits in the middle compared to other gaming laptops of it's class, it's still not at the level we want from a portable device. It also runs a little hot for my liking. The CPU and GPU hit 105°C and 83°C respectively under load, which is hotter than the rest we tested. As far as the IPS option goes, it’s the 16-inch BOE QHD+ panel with ~500 nits of brightness, 1200:1 contrast, and 100% DCI-P3 color coverage that Asus offers on most of their ROG series, such as the Strix G16 or the Zephyrus G16. You’ll find more about it by following those links. Hardware and performance

As far as the actual choice in panels goes, Asus put their Nebula HDR mini LED panel on the Scar 16, a refined variation of the miniLED panel that we’ve seen on the 2022 ROG Flow X16 and Zephyrus Duo 16, this time around with 1024 dimming zones (compared to 512 zones in the past). This is still a very bright panel with up to 1100-nits peak HDR brightness (900-nits SDR) and beautiful colors with 100% DCI-P3 color coverage. Furthermore, this is also perfectly suited for gaming, with the 1600p resolution, 240Hz refresh, and 3ms response time.Armed with an Intel Core i9-13980HX processor, we expected impressive performance from the Scar 16, and it didn't disappoint. It was right in line with the 16-inch Lenovo Legion Pro 7i Gen 8 in almost every test, which used a slightly lower-end 13th Gen Intel CPU. Naturally, all of the 13th Gen systems, including the ROG Strix Scar 16, jumped ahead of 12th Gen systems, like the Acer Predator Triton 300 SE and the Lenovo Legion 7i Gen 7. This is clear in tests like HandBrake, where 13th Gen systems were more than a minute faster, and Cinebench, where scores were nearly doubled. As well as the VESA HDR certificate the display is also TÜV Rheinland-approved for low blue light emissions, Pantone Color validated for colour accuracy and has the Dolby Vision seal of approval. Wireless options abound in this Strix machine, with both Wi-Fi 6E and Bluetooth 5.3 for connecting to networks and peripherals. At the same time, the color and brightness uniformity take a hit, as they are impacted by the zone-dimming functionality, and blooming/glowing and uniformity artifacts are visible in some situations, as explained in this dedicated article about the mini LED laptop display technology. Thus, I wouldn’t recommend this multi-zone setting for any sort of professional color work, but I’d keep it selected for daily use, watching movies, or playing games (especially those with good HDR support, at least). I’m not usually a huge fan of this kind of thing, but even I have to admit that it’s impressive – and it became a focus of serious attention for one of my two cats.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment