276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Sunrise

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Hislop, αλλά δεν μπορώ να κάνω διαφορετικά. Ήδη ανέφερα πως την θεωρώ μια εξαιρετικά υπερτιμημένη συγγραφέα. Ναι μεν τα κείμενά της είναι διάχυτα από συναίσθημα, όμως αυτό δεν είναι πάντα αρκετό ώστε να σε κερδίσει ένα λογοτεχνικό εγχείρημα. Ειδικά όταν γίνεται με τρόπο αφελή, επιφανειακό, επίπεδο και ουδέτερο, όπως στην περίπτωση της "Ανατολής", παρά που η συγγραφέας κάνει απέλπιδες προσπάθειες να μας πείσει για το αντίθετο. Ως Γιώτα, βρήκα πολύ πεζούς και τους χαρακτήρες της, και το ψυχογράφημά τους, αλλά και το πως αλληλεπιδρούν δεδομένων των συνθηκών όπου έχουν βρεθεί και πολύ περισσότερο, δεδομένου του πως στην πραγματικότητα θέλει η ίδια η δημιουργός να μας το περάσει όλο αυτό. Ναι μεν αντιλαμβανόμαστε που το πάει αλλά, για μένα, αποτυγχάνει παταγωδώς αφού, στο τέλος, έπιασα τον εαυτό μου να μην ενδιαφέρεται για κανέναν ήρωα, ούτε για την κατάληξη αυτού. Foster, Sophie (16 June 2019). "Victoria Hislop: 'Ian was in a different league to me at Oxford - he charged me 50p to borrow his essays' ". The Sunday Telegraph . Retrieved 18 June 2019. The second part of the book feels like a dystopian a post-apocalyptic story. Famagusta now a deserted city, a ghost city with rodents pillaging houses and shops and danger of being killed by patrolling Turkish soldiers. Two families one Greek one Turkish are living for almost a year in the ruins of this city, surviving from the food stored in the hotel basements. It would be wrong to say I enjoyed reading about all these terrible things that people have done to each other.

The first part of the book was almost like a soap opera. The rich owner and his beautiful cold wife, the working class envying them, love affairs, everything life has to offer in a peaceful place.If only that was the case. She travels through time and stops at the year 1974. There, Hislop brings to life the most horrific days of the turkish invasion and makes a noticing and rather disturbing contrast of the carefree days of potential and wealth to the absolute wretchedness that followed. The entire island is painted red by the blood of cypriots, both greeks and turkish and Cyprus is biscected. Maria grew up in 1960s Famagusta, then one of the most glamorous and sophisticated seaside resorts in the Mediterranean. The beach, with its famously pale sand and turquoise sea, was lined with luxury hotels that attracted millionaires and celebrities such as Richard Burton, Elizabeth Taylor, Brigitte Bardot and Paul Newman. Nearly half of the island’s hotel rooms were in the town, which was also home to Cyprus’s main port. Forty years on, lawyer Maria Hadjivasili, who escaped with her family, revisits her home town with author Victoria Hislop

When a Greek coup plunges the island into chaos, Cyprus faces a disastrous conflict. Turkey invades to protect the Turkish Cypriot minority, and Famagusta is shelled. Forty thousand people seize their most precious possessions and flee from the advancing soldiers. In the deserted city, just two families remain. This is their story. Vibrant… Hislop brings history to life in this compelling tale’ ( Tatler)Hislop brings her consummate storytelling skills to this enthralling tale of love, marriage and a community all put to the test ( Woman & Home) I thought I was going to become an artist, get married, have children and have a calm, easy life, going to the beach every day,’ she reflects. ‘But what happened in 1974 totally altered the course of my family’s life.’ That traumatic teenage trip left its scars: “I’ve never been camping since,” she admits, laughing merrily. “If someone tells me we’re going to sleep in a tent, forget it!” Fortunately, that dislike doesn’t extend to Cyprus itself – and in fact Cyprus is the subject of her new book The Sunrise, her fourth novel since making her name with The Island in 2005. That debut, a big hit in Britain and even bigger hit in Greece (where it became a hugely successful TV series), was set on the leprosy colony of Spinalonga, off the coast of Crete; since then she’s written The Return, set during the Spanish Civil War, and The Thread, set in Thessaloniki – and nowThe Sunrise, which takes place in Famagusta before and during the invasion.

And her final words to Fylde coast readers: “People are welcome to come along to Lytham, whether or not they have read my books. Victoria, who speaks fluent Greek after having lessons for several years, says foreign climes prove an irresistible draw – and they are where she gets her inspiration. Hislop captures well the dreamy and Edenic time before the occupation as well as the fear and chaos afterward. Ian is much more intellectual than I am. At university, he used to lend people his essays so they could copy them. He should have rented them out at 50p a go because it would have paid his bar bill.

Hislop hasn't of course been into Famagusta - no one may, even now - but has stood near the barbed wire and imagined what life was like there, then and now, with her usual gift for presenting bits of history most of us are unfamiliar with from a fictional point of view." - Independent on Sunday (UK) She says the success of her best-selling first book, the 2005 novel The Island, took her by surprise. Not least because of the subject matter.Jules, Rebecca, Rachel and Emma chat with Victoria Hislop about her latest book, The Figurine. We also talk about Greece, archaeology, Strictly Come Dancing and book recommendations ... Read the full article

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment