276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Arran Malt Aged 10 Years Single Malt Scotch Whisky, 700ml

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

You are responsible for all activities through your account. You are responsible for the accuracy of the information you provide to us in relation to your account, and for updating it where necessary. You are not allowed to create multiple accounts. We may terminate or temporarily suspend your account to protect you, ourselves or our partners from (suspected) identity theft or other (suspected) fraudulent (e.g. false, misleading, deceptive) activity. You have the obligation to keep your login credentials confidential. You shall not authorize any others to use or access your account. This is a late 2020 bottling of the flagship, age-stated malt from the only (for now) distillery on the Isle of Arran. I have to note that it is distinctly darker than the last bottle I bought (with the older label and taller bottle). I seem to remember hearing a rumour about them adding more sherry casks into the mix, and looking at the two bottles side by side, it would be a decent bet. I really enjoyed my last bottle of the ten and was surprised by the quality and fruity profile. So how is it faring a few years on? This cookie is set by Rubicon Project to control synchronization of user identification and exchange of user data between various ad services. Boom. As in: the current whisky boom. It is something we are experiencing right now. Even as we navigate this post-pandemic world it seems the whisky industry and its boom has remained intact.

Whiskybase B.V. (“Whiskybase”, “we” or “us”, company details below) offers a whisky enthusiasts online platform that provides its members access to the most comprehensive, transparent and trusted resource of whisky bottles and allows and stimulates its members to contribute information about whisky bottles to the platform (“Service”). Looking closer at the label, under the sub-heading of “Single Malt Scotch Whisky,” we can ever so slightly see and feel braille! I haven’t come across such a thing on a whisky label before but think it’s significant and incredible. Arran is not only an affordable and accessible malt to the residents of the UK, but it’s further reached out in its accessibility to those who are visually impaired. The braille says “Arran Single Malt.” Nose: Rich tropical fruits. Papaya, mango, pineapple, banana, lots of vanilla. I've heard this described (probably here on Connosr) as a tropical fruit salad and I couldn't agree more. A nice cereal note as well, I love getting a malty, cereal note that shows off the spirit itself. Very pleasant nose. Now, I know that Arran has been covered on Malt in the past, but I felt that the story of the distillery and the history of the island lends itself perfectly to the unique character of the liquid in the Arran Core range… specifically, the Arran 10 year old. Jason did touch on the Arran rebranding here, but I feel a special mention of the branding change needs highlighting.We may, but are not under any obligation, to release new functionalities and tools or other features for the Service every now and then. Any new functionalities, tools and features shall be part of and governed by the Terms from the moment they are launched and/or available. Further, we reserve the right to modify, change, discontinue the Service, add or remove features, update the Service, change its appearance, temporarily and permanently, at any time, in whole or any part thereof. Arran’s 10 year old expression is composed of a majority of ex-bourbon American oak matured whisky with a smattering of some ex-sherry European oak. Like all Arran bottlings, it’s non chill-filtered and naturally coloured (both very good things) – that’s pretty unusual for a young entry-level bottling if you look across the rest of the market at similar prices whiskies. Likewise, it’s bottled at a very healthy 46%, again, quite a bit higher than many entry-levels which commonly come to you closer to 40% ABV. I bought this single malt on recommendation of Quebecwhisky.com, who included it in their "Christmas suggestions 2011" here: quebecwhisky.com/suggestions2011.shtml This is the entry level Arran single malt. Launched in 2006, it is matured in about 70% second-fill sherry casks, with the remaining 30% split between bourbon and first-fill sherry casks. If we decide not to exercise or enforce any right or provision of these Terms, such decision shall not constitute a waiver of such right or provision.

Arran is a somewhat lesser known Island distillery, in the Firth of Clyde just west of Campbeltown. Their 10 year old is their entry level malt, craft presentedAmid closures and overproduction, you’d think the last thing any investor would do would be to open a new whisky distillery in Scotland, never mind opening one on the Isle of Arran. At this stage in the 1990s, no one really anticipated the boom we are currently experiencing. Despite the refreshed and re-labeled range, Arran continues to field a wide range of single malts and blends (including two confusingly named after Robert Burns) and even a cream liqueur. We’re just dipping a toe in the lineup today, including fresh looks at three of its most widely available whiskies. The Arran 10yo is so very fruity on the nose. Sultana and some acetone notes, but not harsh. But, strong stuff! And indeed the bottle states 46% abv and non chill filtered (yeah!). The color is of a nice gold and the eau de vie Coats the glass pretty nicely: the legs are nice and take time to disappear. Like I mentioned above: with this boom we are in, the price of whisky is forever increasing. We chase those bottles that are in high demand, for the pursuit of flavour, experience, and value. Arran, and their 10-year-old, need commended for the standard price for the entry level and the value it brings to us the whisky drinker. On the palate, very bright and young with more citrus notes, vanilla, tropical fruits and spice (cumin?). Some sour apple adds a bit of tang. Water ups the spice a little. Again, very fresh and sprightly.

What should malt whisky taste of... Malt? This one certainly does! My first encounter with this distillery was somewhat premature. I was a first year undergrad on a geology field trip to Arran and one of the excursions took us past the Lochranza distillery, but it must have been newly opened at the time as it was quite a few years ago. I get three main themes off the nose, malt, fruit and alcohol. The later is somewhat unusual from a malt, it’s the aroma that’s more obvious off cheap vodka. The fruits I get are apples, pears and apricots, there is also a touch of smoke in the mix too.

Trending

The Arran 14, which I will review soon, has a different character, with more oak and some different fruit influences. Our Service is an online platform which provides Members with information (e.g. bottle facts, market-indices, market values and prices) on (mostly) whisky and allows Members to add information to the platform. We do not sell, nor does the Service provide any option to buy, any alcoholic products. There’s a reason this bottling was nominated in the recent Online Scotch Whisky Awards (the OSWA’s) for “Best Entry Level Single Malt 2021” and “Best Single Malt Scotch Whisky 2021,” winning both categories! It goes to show how this presentation of 46% ABV, natural colour and non-chill filtering is captivating whisky connoisseurs. Arran are to be applauded. Nothing in the Terms shall exclude or limit our liability for fraudulent misrepresentation or for death or personal injury resulting from gross negligence or willful misconduct by us.

However, Harold Currie (former director of Chivas) founded Arran distillers, with the distillery opening in 1995 in Locranza. Locranza is a village on Arran, an oval-shaped island on the west coast of Scotland, located west of Glasgow, just east of Mull of Kintyre. Arran is a unique island steeped in a history of illicit distilling, with around 50 distilleries, with the last legally founded distillery (Lagg) closing in 1837.

In the mouth: Pear drops on initial sip. Glorious mouthfeel and grip coming from the ABV. Dense vanilla and honey. The middle of the sip contains a biscuity and roasted malt note. There are sliced green apples and to me, a swell of orange rind as it rounds off. The finish is quite long. That citrus blast remains, with those malty elements and a hint of floral too. Some spice on the finish, I’d say cinnamon and a little ginger; more specifically: ginger nut biscuits. Conclusions: Nose: Salted butter, supported by fresh grass and a whisp of vanilla sweetness. There is also cantaloupe, if you're looking, and an impression of Nori sheets. Sharp and clean on the tongue. Nice sweetness on a good body. Wood and grapes again. Apple and sweet vanilla on a second sip. Yes that's it: It's like the best vanilla ice cream ever! And I use to work in an old school ice cream parlour, so I should know. Fully matured in 1st fill Bourbon Casks for 10 years and bottled at 46%, without chill filtration or added colouring, this new peated Arran Single Malt displays all the freshness of our island house style, with an added puff of smoke and earthiness, offering a warm gold coloured whisky with a peating level of 20ppm. We may sell, license, transfer, assign or in any other way dispose of the Service (including Members) to any third party without any notification to you, e.g. (but without limitation) in connection with any reorganization, restructuring, merger or sale, or other transfer of assets.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment