276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Queenie: The gripping, epic historical crime novel from the No 1 Sunday Times bestselling author

£6.495£12.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I will just say that I am glad I started this over the weekend because I have done nothing but "sat on me arse" all day long to finish this. I know it says that the book can be read as a stand-alone but, honestly, I think you are doing yourself a disservice if you don't read the other books by this author, especially the Butler and Mitchell books (where we are first introduced to Queenie). With her mother dead and father in prison, Frankie Mitchell goes to live with her fiancé Jed O’Hara. When her daughter is born, her fiancé’s mother becomes domineering and overbearing. Meanwhile, Frankie ignores the rumors that her beloved fiancé is cheating on her. I'm a big fan of Kimberley Chambers. For me Life of Crime is her best book yet. Brutally realistic, epic in scale and with a twist I didn't see coming” - Jaime Raven

The Brothers: The gripping new novel for 2023 from the No.1

Set just before the Second World War it follows Queenie as a young girl growing up in the East End London. I probably could drop a star as it didn't have the intensity or the rollercoaster ride of the previous books but, as I did enjoy it and couldn't stop reading it, it gets the full FIVE STARS from me. As you would expect the dialogue between the characters is as usual spot on full of humour, sadness, and sometimes anger, it gives the reader a wonderful insight into the Butler’s life, like many families they are protective of their own (most of the time anyway!) they argue, fall out, make up and fall out again! But it’s this that makes them credible characters. Another thing that’s amazing about this authors writing is her attention to the small details, whatever era she is writing about she brings it to life with descriptions of the fashions and music trends, they transport you bang into the East End.

What To Read Next

Kimberley’s books appeal to most and I frequently hear her books discussed with quotes such as “ that Queenie is tough, blimey what a character.” Kimberley’s characters have made such an impact on readers that her books are soon to be made into a television series starring Sheridan Smith as Queenie. Kimberley Chambers: My friends were married to villains". Metro. 24 November 2009 . Retrieved 18 June 2018. Tbh I always liked Queenie in the other books but at times just what she ‘overlooked’ re her boys behaviours especially Vinnie didn’t endear me to her quite so much this time

Life of Crime: The gripping No 1 Sunday Times bestseller Life of Crime: The gripping No 1 Sunday Times bestseller

I'm a big fan of Kimberley Chambers. I've read all her books so when I learned she was writing this book, I couldn't wait to read it. The story tells us what Queenies life was like before we met her in The Trap. Her life has not been an easy one. You will need to read the book to find out the reasons why. The storyline is believable and the characters are dysfunctional but lovable. There is humor and sadness in the Butlers lives. This book can be read as a standalone, but I'm sure, if you haven't already read The Butker series, you will after reading this marvellous book. I highly recommend it. My first introduction to this authors books were the ones in the incredible Butlers series. Obviously when I saw that the author had written a novel following Queenie from a young girl to the formidable woman that we know and love in the series, well of course I had to read it. This fourth novel from Kimberly Chambers introduces readers to the criminal world of two mob families; the Mitchells and the O’Haras. These two families compete against each other for turf and businesses. Caught between the greed and pride of two dangerous families are two children whose lives will never be the same. The Traitor Chambers Sadly the council stopped the parking near the market and that killed it off so I began working as a DJ in pubs and clubs and did that until I was 29 years old,” she tells us.I am aware of the Kray twins, of course, and the havoc they raised around them, but I would hate to think every reader of this book, and Kimberley Chambers is a popular author I understand, that everyone from the east end was like this. I am a huge Kimberley Chambers fan and I have been so excited to read Queenie ever since Kim first said she was writing a prequel to the Butler series. And what a prequel this is, the tag line of the Queen of Gangland Crime has never been truer. I don’t want to speak too soon and say this is Kim’s best book yet, but it’s certainly one of them. The gifted novelist only has nine books, but her impact on London and around the world has been huge. Chambers has a three book series: The Traitor Chambers, Victim and The Feud. The series revolves around a long time feud between two families; the Mitchells and the O’Haras.

Queenie – HarperCollins Publishers UK

Brilliantly delivers a story of violence, treachery and family ties… Easy to read and hard to put down” - News of the World McMullen, Marion (17 June 2015). "Crime pays for bestselling writer Kimberley Chambers". Mirror . Retrieved 18 June 2018.Kimberley Chambers really is the East End’s version of Shakespeare. Not only is she one of the country’s top-selling crime fiction writers but she is also a real down to earth, a straight-talking lady that pulls no punches. Kimberley is a lady with a very witty sense of humour that makes its marks in her fantastic books. Her books leave you gripped and up all night reading them (truly you can’t put them down until the end!) For fans of Kimberly Chambers Butler family, we discover how Queenie became the woman she is today - the experiences that moulded her thoughts and actions, and most importantly, how she ended up being matriarch of this much feared (though respected) gangland family.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment