276°
Posted 20 hours ago

We Are All Birds of Uganda

£7.495£14.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

She studied Law at the University of Cambridge and holds a masters’ degree from the University of Oxford.

We Are All Birds of Uganda - Hafsa Zayyan - Google Books We Are All Birds of Uganda - Hafsa Zayyan - Google Books

Meticulously crafted, beautifully and thoughtfully written, with complex characters, this was an absolute pleasure to read. Of course the ‘Indians’ used by the British to shore up their colonies in Africa (and Fiji) were in a terrible position not of their own making, but I’m not sure I blame the Africans for wanting to take their countries back. It’s when we get deeper into the Ugandan experience — via Hasan’s letters and then Sameer’s visit — that the book takes off. We Are All Birds of Uganda focuses on one aspect of Amin’s dictatorship that I knew little about however: the seizure of properties owned by immigrants from theIndian subcontinent, followed by their expulsion. The secretarybird is a bird of prey, but is easily distinguished from other raptors by its long crane-like legs.

I was not surprised to discover that Zayyan is like her protagonist Sameer a lawyer based in London. Unlike the similar-looking but unrelated herons, cranes fly with necks outstretched, not pulled back. Monday to Friday, if I finished work by 6pm, I’d run to the British Library and read until they closed at 8pm. These people lost everything that they’d toiled to achieve, but in reality, it could be said that they were lucky to escape with their lives, as dictator Idi Amin butchered ethnic minorities in their thousands during his murderous spree.

We Are All Birds of Uganda: Will Gompertz reviews Hafsa - BBC

The author really paints a very vivid picture and all her characters are believable and interesting – I really wanted to know all their stories.Later on, Sameer comes across his grandfather's letters and learns more about Ugandan history, so why not insert here those facts that appeared in the grandfather's chapters? When you consent to data collection on AMP pages you are consenting to allow us to display personalised ads that are relevant to you when you are outside of the UK.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment