276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Creed (Aziza's Secret Fairy Door, 79)

£4.995£9.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I know the romance isn't important to many people but for me it made this book even better. What I loved is how James Herbert didn't shrink from romance. A lot of times if there is a couple in a horror book, the relationship is hardly presented as a good thing. Someone always cheats or even worse. Maybe the authors are aware they couldn't pull it off. Speaking of which, the book does a pretty good job of blending the biblical and the supernatural with our own world, creating a story in which it feels as though almost anything could happen. The stakes are pretty high, but perhaps not as high as they are in books like The Rats where the future of humanity itself is at stake, and the plot keeps on plodding along towards the finish line with an unstoppable momentum. James Herbert was Britain's number one bestselling writer (a position he held ever since publication of his first novel) and one of the world's top writers of thriller/horror fiction. This year I pirated a Kindle version of a James Herbert novel to try to relive the ghostly pleasures of yesteryear.

Creed by James Herbert - Pan Macmillan

I loved the references to the Sumerians, and I thought all of the storyline's angles made for an interesting premise. A good book, true horror...set up well, interesting folks coming and going...a little lesson in fictitious ancient history...some truly frightening imagery, nicely done...with a neat tie in to modern religion, which is always nice. I really enjoyed The Dark (also by Herbert) and sadly was not as imp transfixed by the play of a mysterious light amidst the monsoon rains - before a towering geyser of boiling water bursts from beneath the streets to scald him into oblivion. In the Chinese city of Kashi But before I get to the political, some literary observations regarding Sepuchcre: the novel was initially disappointing because it's part of Herbert's later attempts to add James Bondian and thriller elements to his formula--like a band you loved when they first came out who began, after a couple of LPs, to experiment in a direction you didn't like, I found this annoying. The horror appears clumsy here, with all of the IRA guns blazing around it. The supernatural looks silly, in my opinion, when It can't stand up to an Armalite rifle.The cabin burned to the ground around 1990 but my friend, now an adult, has risen from the ashes and every summer I get to spend a few days in the new cabin reminiscing and enjoying the great outdoors--not to mention the granite wonders of Yosemite Valley. The pattern was to be repeated time and again: he scared the living daylights out of readers with books such as The Dark, The Magic Cottage, Haunted and Creed. Herbert was born in London in 1943, the youngest son of East End market traders, and got his first work in advertising, becoming art director and head of the agency he joined.

Creed by James Herbert | Goodreads Creed by James Herbert | Goodreads

This was kind of a series of vignettes of different people being exposed to the fog, going crazy and doing some gruesome shit. For some reason the author felt compelled to inform us about all the weird sex stuff they liked to do before they killed anyone. Some of the vignettes seem to be played for humour but kinda fell flat. He was the weirdest, the nastiest. The Fog and The Rats terrified me; Creed was spoken about in my school in almost mythological ways, being both horrifying and introducing us to sexual concepts we'd never contemplated before that point; and The Magic Cottage, when given to me aged 13 by an amazing English teacher, was one of the books that made me want to become a writer. But like I said, this is a horror and those elements are good. So if that's what you're after, which I assume you are, Herbert delivers in that area. However, there are far, far, far superior horror novels out there. The Jonah’ is a well paced novel that draws the reader into the developing storyline with the mysterious events that are occurring. Kelso is written as a very human and easy to identify with character. The interlacing subplots that run parallel to the main thread of the storyline add a good depth to the novel as a whole, whilst fleshing out the characters and their respective pasts. However, the promise of a Herbert written LSD trip motivated me to carry on (it wasn't worth it) and the climax was quite entertaining as they usually are by Herbert.I enjoyed the book. It was a bit drawn out for me. The characters could have had more softness to get into it a bit more. Dun dun! The whole thing sounds like that, like the voiceover for the trailer for a shitty movie. But it gets so much worse! Brace yourself, because I have a sex scene for you:

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment