276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Higher State Soil Shaker 2 Trail Running Shoes

£12.49£24.98Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I did my first walk in the Soil Shakers yesterday - 12+ miles on mostly damp tarmac, which I usually find to be the slipperiest of all surfaces - especially when coated in a thin layer of oily clay! I was really pleased with the grip, which was far better than my Merrells - my usual favourite road shoes. And despite walking a fair distance in brand new shoes, my feet felt fine. The Vibram outsole has 3mm deep lugs, ok on most trails except for muddier routes, but being Vibram it copes very well in the wet and dry. The cushioning is relatively deep for a trail shoe at 29mm in the heel (10mm drop) and that’s what helps give it that very cushioned feel.

Their first big test was the Pendle Way in a Day race at the start of February. I’ve already written two posts about the race and the aftermath, but didn’t want to lose the shoe review in the midst of any of that. The terrain is a mixture of everything from a bit of tarmac through to mud Glastonbury would be proud to host. It’s a great update to an already popular model and could be considered one of the best all-round trail shoes around. The upper has a strong, durable feel to it, but it’s soft and supportive around the foot, with stitched reinforcements to help keep its shape and durability. This second incarnation of SportShoes' own brand trail shoe is available in a variety of eye-catching colours. I opted for Blue & Yellow as I've got a bit of a thing for bright running shoes, and they fit nicely into the colour scheme of my beloved Leeds United! However, there are less bright colourways available too if that's more your thing. The Soil Shaker 2 is designed for fell and mountain running, and they certainly look the part. My first impression is that they look quite 'plush' for a fell running shoe- there is noticeably more padding along the inner sides than you would normally find in a shoe aimed at this particular market. Excess padding and material tends to hold water, and this is something that most manufacturers try hard to avoid. It does look comfortable though! With new shoes I like to try the 'flex test'- seeing if I can fold the shoe in half so that the toebox touches the heel. A nice flexible shoe should be able to do this easily and shows that the shoe will not hinder the natural movement of your foot when going through its motion. The Soil Shaker 2 passed this test with flying colours! In terms of weight, my pair of UK 9.5 shoes come in at around 320g, comparable to similar models on the market. At this price, the Escape Pursuit has to be one of the best value trail shoes available this winter!You can expect most running shoes to last you around 500 miles – unless you’re taking on especially rough terrain constantly. Some racing shoes will last a lot less, as will many budget options, and that’s why it can be smarter in the long term to find a deal on a premium shoe over saving the money in the short-term with a budget shoe. The multi-directional stud pattern of the Vibram rubber sole does a good job both ascending and descending and with the build quality feeling top-notch the shoe should be able to handle the worst conditions with ease and comfort. In times when we all need to consider our environmental footprint I would want to see how long the Soil Shaker 2 lasted before they needed replacing. If we want to reduce the amount of things that we throw into landfill then spending more money on kit that lasts longer is a better approach. A longer term test of the shoes is needed, hopefully the Soil Shakers prove to be both inexpensive and long lasting.

The upper is made up of 50% recycled materials and uses an open mesh knit which thankful lets any water out as easily as it gets in. Rubberised welded sections provide protection in key areas of friction and add to the overall durability of the shoe. The fourth version of the Agility Peak sees updates to the midsole cushioning, upper fit and overall quality of the shoe that makes a serious contender in this space. The midsole cushioning is good for mixed terrain use; soft enough to be comfortable but stable enough to provide support. Whilst the 4mm outsole lugs aren’t ultra-deep, they do work well on both the wet and dry on various surfaces, again adding to the versatile nature of the shoe. Puma’s Nitro range of shoes offers good value in general and another option to look out for in sales is the Puma Velocity Nitro, since the second version of that shoe is about to launch. The Velocity has more cushioning than the Liberate and is a great cheap option for marathon training. The 7mm outsole lugs excel in the wet and mud and are the standout feature of the shoe, making it a great value option for the winter.

Grab a bargain with this guide to finding the best cheap running shoes available

Updated Ripstop Mesh Upper– Robust upper and offers debris protection, while still providing much needed breathability. The Liberate Nitro is a shoe that makes running fun, or even more fun, depending on how much you like running to start with. It’s very light, coming in under 200g in a UK 9, and has a bouncy midsole made from Puma’s excellent Nitro foam. Not a member yet? Sign up here to be part of the RunUltra community and share tips and stories with thousands of fellow runners around the world. The soft yet durable mesh upper provides a good fit which is enhanced by the brands ‘Navic Fit System’, midfoot bands incorporated into the laces that keep the midfoot held securely in place. This works very well and with a neatly padded heel collar and a heel tab that turns away from the Achilles, it’s a very nice place in which to place your feet. Rubberised prints on the toe and the side walls of the shoe help keep some of the weather out as well as making the shoe more protective and durable. Key specs – Terrain: Road; Arch support: Neutral; Best used for: Training and racing; Weight: 193g (UK 9 ); Heel-to-toe offset: 10mm

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment