276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Ghostland: In Search of a Haunted Country

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

At this, the prince returned to the next land, and went to the same shore, where once again he came upon the man in full evening dress. EP: I suspect there’s a difference between the solace some might take from dark fiction and film (and other creative forms) and dark coverage on the media. For me at least, there is a comfort – and that strange frisson of excitement – to be had from the former, though I don’t think there’s too much to be had from morbid news stories. It’s easy to become all-consumed by up-to-the-minute figures or unfolding developments and to want to seek them out constantly – certainly in the earlier part of the pandemic I found myself watching a lot of rolling news and wondering about the latest gloomy predictions, until I realised that I was just putting myself permanently on edge. But then, one day, the prince ran away from his palace. He came to the next land. There, to his astonishment, from every coast he saw islands, and on these islands, strange and troubling creatures whom he dared not name. As he was searching for a boat, a man in full evening dress approached him along the shore. Aside from that, though, I did rather enjoy the story. There was carnage and mayhem, and ghosts, and some unique and interesting ideas. I think it would have been much more intense if I'd read it, but listening to it in a dark store, working on my own in a deserted shopping centre, it was still sufficiently creepy.

As I said earlier, I would have rated this much higher if the ending hadn't been so MUCH and there was more focus with the plot, technology and ghosts. The aspect of this book that perhaps resonates the most is Parnell’s gradual revelation of his own grief and trauma. Without giving anything away (it’s best to go into this not knowing anything for the strongest emotional impact), the scenes and atmosphere he describes from his favourite childhood films and stories often mirror the authors own inner despair. The beautifully vivid accounts of Parnell’s memories have the reader walking right beside him, witnessing these events unfold as he does. However, after all is said and done, I'm pinging a star for the uneven sense of engagement delivered with the main characters of Ben and Lillian. Especially around the middle of the book during the 'Asylum,' scenes, I was in danger of losing all interest in their fates rather than being engaged, and seriously considered DNF'ing.If you want to understand a place, ignore the boastful monuments and landmarks, and go straight to the haunted houses. I learned a lot of quirky, historical details about the United States. For example, did you know that Spiritualists were a huge part of the suffrage movement?: "Early suffrage meetings were heavily populated with mediums and trance speakers; in some places it was difficult to find suffragists who weren't also Spiritualists. Spiritualism had given many of these women practice and confidence in speaking to groups with authority; by allowing others (the dead) to speak through them, American women began to speak for themselves in greater numbers. Spiritualism was only one of many factors and social movements that drove women's suffrage, but it was a vital and important one." loc 961-978, ebook. Originalmente, pensé que sería un recuento de los lugares embrujados más emblemáticos de Estados Unidos; que el autor recogería los testimonios paranormales de aquellas personas que los hubieran experimentado y quizá los mezclara con un contexto histórico que pudiera de algún modo respaldarlas.

People are dying to get in. The exhibits will kill to get out. Be first in line for the most haunted theme park in the world - Ghostland! Discover and explore hundreds of haunted buildings and cursed objects! Witness spectral beings of all kinds with our patented Augmented Reality glasses! Experience all the terror and thrills the afterlife has to offer, safely protected by our Recurrence Field technology! Visit Ghostland today - it's the hauntedest place on earth! Psychogeography at is finest, Ghostland is a personal meditation on the primal power of the British landscape to shape literature, film and television that tunes into the core collective experience of the Haunted Generation' Cathi Unsworth, author of Weirdo Though it doesn't detract from the overall enjoyment of the book, it sometimes feels as though the author drifts off on a tangent. For example, a chapter that begins by introducing a notoriously haunted house eventually segues to a discussion of Spiritualism, which ultimately leads to an examination of a woman's right to vote. These shifts in narrative are never a point of contention for the reader, because all of the information is well-researched and tied together seamlessly. A place where a breakthrough in technology allows visitors to witness ghosts repeating their final acts in life. And no expense has been spared to gather some of the most violently haunted buildings and objects known in paranormal circles. Ghostland is unclassifiable, a book of many parts. But it is, first and foremost, a book about histories. And like Seaton, Parnell starts with his own history, digging deep into his memory (and in family photo albums) to piece together the story of growing up with his parents and his brother Chris. There are happy snaps of early family holidays and bird-hunting trips. But, as Edward grows older (and as his story/history progresses) he has to face more harrowing memories of the illness, suffering and death which visit his closest and dearest. One cannot but suspect that Parnell had suppressed many of these bleaker memories and that writing Ghostland was a way in which the ghost of these past images could be summoned and their pain exorcised.

This book goes into what I would call typical hauntings of homes, to hauntings of cemeteries, hotels, brothels (Mustang Ranch), cities, battlefields, and even a bridge. And the book wraps things up about how our next form of being haunted can be via social media. I personally remember being surprised one day when Facebook popped up with a memory of me with a friend who had passed away. I remember flinching and just feeling sad and hurt all over again about her passing away. It didn't even occur to me that one day, I too could be a ghost of sorts, haunting my friends and family via social media. JH: Why do you think dark and upsetting media comforts us? Especially during dark and upsetting times? A marvellous blend of travel writing, history and grief memoir, Ghostland provides not only a seance with the author's lost family, but also a premonition of his dazzling literary future' Paul Willetts, author of Members Only, filmed as The Look of Love As he makes his way around to explore the locations from the books, movies, television shows and short stories that he enjoyed so much as a boy and then later as a young man, he discusses these works and writes about the authors themselves, recalls childhood memories, and slowly reveals the story of his "phantom family -- a host of lives lived, then unlived" in an attempt to help him "reconcile the real and the half-remembered." At one point at the beginnng of this book, the author is leaving after a visit to Livemere, childhood home of MR James, thinking about "the final words of James' last published story, 'A Vignette' "

The action was so intense in the story that it was like sitting in a movie theatre with booming surround sound as when you read about the screams in the park, you are going to be hearing it and when the gore starts flying you will be feeling it splatter in your face! Giving this book five "Ghost Action: stars! His is a wonderfully evocative book, creating a sense of place and invoking the power of literature and nature.' The Guardian Ghostland' is an always readable and thoroughly interesting book, but it ends up falling between several stools. As a memoir, it is moving (Parnell's personal losses are painful) yet at the same time rather mysterious. It tells us a great deal about what happened to his parents and brother, but conveys little about the author himself, or how it must feel to live under the shadow of a familial disease. I kept being reminded of the narrator of Kipling's great story, 'They', who talks about everything but the event which leads him to drive aimlessly around the Sussex countryside. For every train-spotterly detail of old TV, books or ornithology here, there is something missing about Parnell himself. Perhaps appropriately, in this book of ghosts he never comes wholly to life. Ghostland is both haunting and entertaining, echoing with an enthusiast’s love for that which is out of kilter with the everyday; things not quite right glimpsed from the corner of the eye’ Stuart Maconie, Mail on Sunday I have to give it up for Ralston for putting together some really cool ghosts, paranormal ideas and a super cool idea for a book!

I tried but I really couldn't stand this one. For me personally, it was the tone that the author took. Overall, I loved the idea presented here, the dynamics between Ben and Lilian, and the execution of the novel. I did utilize the "ghost index" while reading, and felt that learning about these individual horrors as we come across them added another layer of enjoyment to the reading experience. This was an incredibly unique approach, and made for a story I'm still thinking about over a week later. I've enjoyed books by this writer in the past, and will continue to look forward to all of his future releases. Native Americans are mentioned but only as a source of anxiety rather than a people with their own set of ghosts. There's no talk of the countless Chinese and Irish immigrants who died building the railroads. No discussion of the Japanese incarcerated during World War II. So when the author says America is haunted by its history, he's talking about, and to, a very specific color of America, with a very limited sense of the horrors this country has inflicted, on others and itself. The most disturbing moments, for me, were the true history portions of the narrative: "Early madhouses were often revealed to be nightmares of abuse and neglect. Reports of incontinent patients hosed down with icy water, naked women chained haphazardly to the walls, fleas and rats rampant, and other horrors gradually prompted a desire for something more sanitary and humane." loc 2205, ebook. Eeeek. Is it any wonder that these places are haunted?

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment