276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Paladin's Grace (1) (The Saint of Steel)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I have always loved fantasies where the gods are indisputably real. Where it’s not a question of faith and belief, because the gods are there. The ways in which they’re present are different in every story, and they differ in how much they can affect human beings or the natural world…but it’s a trope I’m very fond of, okay? This wasn't an unusual situation for him. He spent a lot of time with his hands in corpses. He didn't like it. He didn't dislike it. It was just what he did. He enjoyed putting the mental pieces together about why someone had died, and he liked being able to provide certainty to families, but mostly what he liked was being good at his job. Stephens god died on the longest day of the year Three years later, Stephen is a broken paladin, living only for the chance to be useful before he dies. But all that changes when he encounters a fugitive named Grace in an alley and witnesses an assassination attempt gone wrong. Now the pair must navigate a web of treachery, beset on all sides by spies and poisoners, while a Stephen’s god died on the longest day of the year… Three years later, Stephen is a broken paladin, living only for the chance to be useful before he dies. But all that changes when he encounters a fugitive named Grace in an alley and witnesses an assassination attempt gone wrong. Now the pair must navigate a web of treachery, beset on all sides by spies and poisoners, while a cryptic killer stalks one step behind… From the Hugo and Nebula Award winning author of Swordheart and The Twisted Ones comes a saga of murder, magic, and love on the far side of despair. [120]…more Paladin’s Grace by T. Kingfisher – eBook Details Piper should have made it even harder for Galen to redeem himself at the end. Yes, Piper takes Galen at his word when Galen says he no longer wants to see Piper, and Piper certainly doesn’t make it easy for Galen to redeem himself, which I liked. But I think Galen needed to do even more groveling.

Which is all to say, Paladin’s Grace is fabulous beyond words, and you should read it immediately, because the sequel is out tomorrow!!!Funny, frightening, and full of heart; I loved it' Alix E. Harrow, author of The Ten Thousand Doors of January on Nettle & Bone

I also personally dislike when male characters are described as noticing or thinking about a female character’s bosom. Like, I get it - straight men like breasts. But I don’t want the basis of a relationship to be physical attraction. Do something else. Though I didn’t get the impression that Stephen was a creep, I didn’t like how often the author would mention that Stephen noticed Grace’s body. Grace’s breasts were mentioned a number of times, and it made me uncomfortable every time. There’s a question about whether Paladin’s Grace is an epic fantasy that includes a romance, or a fantasy romance that happens to also be epic. After mulling it over for a while, I’m pretty sure the answer is “yes!” Or perhaps “hells to the yes!” is a bit more accurate.Speaking of which, I may be weird about this, but I have a major soft spot for bad sex in a romance. It’s such a refreshing change from insta-lust and magical orgasms! The emotional impact of “That was weird and uncomfortable but I still like you” is worth more than any throbbing boner in the world, if you ask me. So...I loved my first foray into this author's work. And...will read more by her, but this book...was a repetitious, mess of Suffering Mary Sue. The plot, as I understand it, is that Stephen, a Paladin of Steel, went berzerk and killed people because his god mysteriously died. And he has the guiltz. However, after they get away, it turns out that they’re super into each other. It’s a classic “Who him? I hardly remember him, I’ve completely forgotten his blue eyes and the way he smells oh dammit” situation. When chance (and Grace’s scheming friend Marguerite) brings them together again, they team up to foil a plot using Grace’s super-acute sense of smell and Stephen’s berserker strength. Hijinx, as you might imagine, ensue. No Ontological Inertia: It takes an extremely strong wonder-worker to create anything that will survive past their death. This is why the Smooth Men keep such a close eye on their creator—and ultimately what does them in when he chooses to make a Heroic Sacrifice. Review of Paladin's Grace (2020), Paladin's Strength (2021), Paladin's Hope (2021), all by T. Kingfisher. Note: I will spoiler-tag specific plot points, but I will be giving my opinion - so don't read if you want to go in unbiased!

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment