276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Around the World in 80 Trains: A 45,000-Mile Adventure

£5.495£10.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

after Pol Pot captured Phnom Penh in 1975, the trains played accomplice to his genocidal regime, enabling the evacuation and relocation to the countryside of hundreds of thousands of Cambodians forced into hard labor that led to their starvation and eventual massacre." Nicholson, Rebecca. "Around the World in 80 Days review – David Tennant channels a Victorian Jeff Bezos", The Guardian, December 26, 2021

For Rajesh, the romance of train travel does indeed live on, “in the passengers who would always tell their story to strangers, offer advice, share their food, and give up their seats”. Unexpected acts of kindness and generosity of spirit create a unique sense of community, “like we are a train family”, as one traveller tells her in Thailand. we set off in search of anything ancient [in Ulaanbaatar], finding a couple of scrappy Buddhist monasteries, subdued during Soviet rule. It took us a couple of hours in the National Museum of Mongolian History, looking at armor, costumes and jewelry, to gain any sense of the city's old culture..." A relentlessly curious and wonderfully descriptive writer … [Rajesh] offers us a never-ending series of Theroux-esque, quirky anecdotes … Remarkably engaging … If you fancy learning about global travel in the relative slow lane, try boarding this carriage and staring out the window – here you can view the world through Rajesh's eyes, as she takes us on a lazy, time-bending meander in search of authenticity and humanity”— Geographical Vourlias, Christopher (25 September 2020). " 'Around the World in 80 Days' to Restart Production in Romania, South Africa (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety . Retrieved 1 December 2021. An epic journey . When I say that I felt almost physically tired at the end of this book, I mean it as a compliment, a testament to its vivid evocations (Country Life)

Rajesh [is] a rare rising star of the genre … She has a simple and easy style, she sees everything and listens to everyone, she's funny when she wants to be and serious when she needs to be, and she keeps the whole thing barrelling along like a wonderful dinner party conversation”— Marcus Berkmann, Daily Mail The book really gets into gear in N. Korea and China, and captures so much of the romance of train travel including the numerous little epiphanies about oneself while touching the edge of inner stillness in a moving train. Blessedly, not too much of that too. Around the World in 80 trains is about the author's journey as she sets out to cover 45,000 miles across the World. Monisha records her journey through this book as she explains in detail about the various trains that she took, the food that each place had to offer, the sleeping arrangements, the people and struggles of adjusting to new culture though it was for few days. Monisha and her fiance set off from London and cover Moscow, Asian countries, America, Canada, Kazakhstan and many others. My favourite part was their experience at Moscow which was terrifying to even read. I also thoroughly enjoyed how she explained the sceneries that she witnessed through the windows. One can almost imagine the hues spread across the skies and smell the food that she devoured over the course of her journey.

Rajesh, born in Norfolk in 1982, the daughter of two Indian doctors whose training sent them all over England, was perhaps fated to be a traveller. For her debut, Around India in 80 Trains (2012), a journey she finished alone after falling out with her companion, she endured harassment that’s inadequately described on the subcontinent as “Eve-teasing”. Around the World in 80 Days: Season 1". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media . Retrieved 30 January 2022. Leaving my job, my home and my possessions had quietened the noise in my head. My immediate concerns were where to eat and where to sleep. The less I carried, the less I worried." Filming locations included South Africa and Romania. Filming was suspended in March 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic, but resumed on 1 October that year. [4] In November 2021, ahead of the premiere, it was announced the series had been renewed for a second series. [5] The main title score is by Hans Zimmer and Christian Lundberg. [6] Release [ edit ] Monisha Rajesh has chosen one of the best ways of seeing the world. Never too fast, never too slow, her journey does what trains do best. Getting to the heart of things. Prepare for a very fine ride' Michael Palin

Reviews

Singh, Anita (26 December 2021). "Around the World in 80 Days, episodes 1 and 2 review: A fun story that needed far fewer changes". The Telegraph. What makes the book is [Rajesh's] wit, astute observations and willingness to try everything ... She arrived at St Pancras, on time, tired and triumphant. Her riveting account of the odyssey leaves us feeling the same”— The Times I’ve never understood the bizarre need to complete a route in the fastest time possible. Why waste an opportunity to absorb all that a place and its people have to offer by shooting in and out? I could travel around the world in 10 trains; I could do it in a hundred if I wanted to. Eighty, I thought, was a nice round number that would make the journey a challenge – but not an impossibility. Delightful ... memorable ... Rajesh is not only blessed with an elegant style, but is witty and ever ready for a bit of self-deprecation”— Spectator Great Rail Journeys (01904 734500; greatrail.com) Offers guided tours by rail worldwide, including a number in Britain utilising heritage trains and routes.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment