276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Tao of Physics (Flamingo): An Exploration of the Parallels Between Modern Physics and Eastern Mysticism (Flamingo)

£5.495£10.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Patterns of Connection: Essential Essays from Five Decades (2021) is a personal account of the author's intellectual journey, documented by a series of essays together with extensive commentaries that interweave the essays and provide historical and philosophical context. Fritjof was a really interesting person, that is, what I knew about him, which wasn’t much since I was only his housekeeper. Cleaning homes was how I got through college. This means it’s impossible to speak about time without speaking of space and vice versa. Each of them only exists in connection with the other, an inseparable entity called space-time.

Starting with reasonable descriptions of quantum physics, he constructs elaborate extensions, totally bereft of the understanding of how carefully experiment and theory are woven together and how much blood, sweat, and tears go into each painful advance. But there’s more! Einstein even discovered that matter and energy are also just two different aspects of the same reality. This is the deep meaning of his famous formula: E = mc2. Any amount of energy can be represented as a certain mass at a certain speed and vice versa. He is a founding director of the Center for Ecoliteracy located in Berkeley, California, which promotes ecology and systems thinking in primary and secondary education. Popularly, a distinction is drawn between philosophical and religious Taoism. Philosophical Taoism, called 道家 daojia, treats the Tao Te Ching as a guide to help one's actions conform with the way of nature. Religious Taoism, called 道教 daojiao, is focused on obtaining physical immortality and avoiding evil spirits. In reality, this distinction is completely fictional and merely serves as a method for fans of the Tao Te Ching or the Zhuangzi to separate out the ideas they find most palatable, and discard the rest as superstition. One critic states, "[M]ost scholars who have seriously studied Taoism, both in Asia and in the West, have finally ... abandoned the simplistic dichotomy of tao-chia and tao-chiao - 'philosophical Taoism' and 'religious Taoism.'" [6] Nonetheless, most popular interpretations and high-school summaries of Taoism make this division into "philosophical Taoism," which provides a way to understand the world and which is fully compatible with other religious traditions, and "religious Taoism," which includes elements of ancestor worship, animism, and alchemy. He began with saying, “All things are temporary manifestations of God.” Then he mentioned the great physicist, Schodinger and Deepak Chopra’s book, Quantum Healing.Bohr adopted the yin yang symbol as part of his coat of arms when he was knighted in 1947, [2] it is claimed in the book that it was a result of orientalist influences.

Leon M. Lederman, a Nobel Prize-winning physicist and current Director Emeritus of Fermilab, criticized both The Tao of Physics and Gary Zukav's The Dancing Wu Li Masters in his 1993 book The God Particle: If the Universe Is the Answer, What Is the Question? [9] In 1991 Capra co-authored Belonging to the Universe with David Steindl-Rast, a Benedictine monk. Using Thomas Kuhn's The Structure of Scientific Revolutions as a stepping stone, the book explores parallels between new paradigm thinking in science and in religion; the authors posit that, together, these new paradigms offer remarkably compatible views about the universe.

Eric R. Scerri (1989). "Eastern Mysticism and the Alleged Parallels with Physics". American Journal of Physics. 57 (8): 687–692. Bibcode: 1989AmJPh..57..687S. doi: 10.1119/1.15921. S2CID 121572969. Peter Woit (2006). Not Even Wrong: The Failure of String Theory and the Search for Unity in Physical Law. Basic Books. pp.141–145. ISBN 978-0-465-09275-8.

Fritjof Capra, Pier Luigi Luisi (2014). “The Systems View of Life: A Unifying Vision”, p.13, Cambridge University Press I joined the Vedanta Society in early 2000s, and a man named Dave DeLuca came to the temple in San Diego and gave a lecture on The Four Yugas. He had a section in it where he talked about Quantum Physics. Much like Capra’s book, he used the teachings of Quantum theory as a way to compare it with Hinduism. I liked his lecture so much that obtained his lecture and still have it. It wasn’t the comparison to Hinduism that I liked, but the way physicists saw the nature of reality. (I didn’t last in Vedanta, but that is another story.) Buddhists also believe in the oneness of everything, or Dharmakaya, as the way to enlightenment. This is because most of our negative feelings come from seeing ourselves as separate from the rest of the world. Green Politics (1984), co-authored with Charlene Spretnak, analyzes the rise of the Green Party in Germany and similar ecology-oriented political parties in other European countries. It has been published in 7 editions in 4 languages. I regard consciousness as fundamental. I regard matter as derivative from consciousness. We cannot get behind consciousness. Everything that we talk about, everything that we regard as existing, postulates consciousness.”

Wikipedia citation

At the heart of the matter is Mr. Capra's methodology—his use of what seem to me to be accidental similarities of language as if these were somehow evidence of deeply rooted connections." - Jeremy Bernstein (Steven Institute of Technology) (1982) Science Observed, New York: Basic Books, ISBN 0-465-07340-9, p.333-340 The Hidden Connections (2002) extends the framework of systems and complexity theory to the social domain and uses the extended framework to discuss some of the critical issues of our time. Aaeserud, Finn (2015). "A Complementary Relationship: Niels Bohr and China*" (PDF). Berliner China-Hefte/Chinese History and Society. 46: 69–76 – via Niels Bohr Archive University of Copenhague.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment