276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Animals of Farthing Wood

£66.495£132.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Kid me reading this: oooh, Fox is the cleverest and the handsomest and the bestest hero ever! *hearteyes* Wise Old Owl was meant to come across as an insufferable know-it-all, but the book was trying to play off that Badger knew what was best for everyone. While Charmer, Ranger and Whisper are off killing the rats, it is believed that she was either resting, or asleep during most of the raid. Dann worked at the publishing firm William Collins Sons & Co. for thirteen years, and his first novel, The Animals of Farthing Wood, was written during this period. The original cover for this and a dozen others was painted by Portal artist Frances Broomfield.

This book focusses on the need for a diverse group of wild British animals to make a trek together to a Nature reserve that Toad knows of, simply because the humans have decided to build hoses and develop the current countryside in which they live. With the ban of animals uffering hardships, deaths and many adventures on the way this book looks at the way humans treat animals and nature in general, taking it for granted and using poisons indiscriminately. Well written, it makes you embarrassed to hear what we do to wildlife, both animal and plant life.The books tell the story of a group of woodland animals whose home has been paved over by developers. They learn of a nature reserve, White Deer Park, where they will be safe, and undertake to make the journey together. They form an Oath, promising to protect one another and overcome their natural instincts until they reach their destination. I love how Dann weaved through so many environmental issues into this adventure without it being preachy. I thought I knew a lot about conservation but even I've come away from the book with a new perspective. This article needs additional citations for verification. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed.

I enjoyed the way the story flowed from one scene to another, although, there were quite a lot of scenes that could prove to be uncomfortable for a younger reader, but overall, the tone is quite mellow. The adventure follows a group of animals who are forced from their home after humans start destroying their woods, with numerous hurdles the band of friends travel across the country to find protection at the White Deer Park nature reserve. L'unica cosa un po' stonata è il fatto che 1. nell'epilogo (che suggerirei di saltare, non aggiunge nulla alla storia per sé) gli animali si ubriacano per festeggiare la riuscita della loro impresa e 2. solo i maschi hanno il permesso di bere l'alcohol (perché?!). C'era davvero bisogno di inserire alcohol come simbolo di divertimento e spensieratezza (gli animali bevono e si sentono subito felici, fiduciosi) in un libro per bambini e ragazzi? Avrei fatto a meno anche dei commeti stomachevoli XD della talpa quando si fa una scorpacciata di lombrichi.Both her and Fox have aged greatly in the three years between Series 2 and Series 3, showing it in how often they are seen sleeping, and in their face. The animals make a pact to protect each other, predators and prey alike. As the animals make their journey to White Deer Park, they encounter various obstacles that endanger their lives such as fires, hunters and other predators.

In the Grip of Winter was published in 1981, Fox's Feud was published in 1982, and The Fox Cub Bold was published in 1983. An omnibus edition of all three books was published in 1994 by Hutchinson. The Siege of White Deer Park was first published in 1985, In the Path of the Storm was first published in 1989, and Battle for the Park was first published in 1992. Those three books were made into a second omnibus in 1995 by Hutchinson. I also loved how Fox saw something positive emerge from a negative event. This showed his maturity and his spiritual eye was open; noticing how, 'All works for good...'

She is seen briefly in most of the episodes up to the final: Bully-Bully-Bully, which she has a larger role than in the first twelve episodes. I loved how each character had his own unique character. Badger was kind, Fox intelligent and courageous, Mole humble (and greedy! A vice that had its own price to pay), Kestrel focused and determined, Toad strong and perservering, Pheasant vain, Adder painfully honest, Rabbit grounded.

One thing that the tv adaptation improved on was changing some of the animals into female characters, it gives a more diverse feel to the story. The Animals of Farthing Wood (1979) • In the Grip of Winter (1981) • Fox's Feud (1982) • The Fox Cub Bold (1983) • The Siege of White Deer Park (1985) • In the Path of the Storm (1989) • Battle for the Park (1992) • Farthing Wood: The Adventure Begins (1994) Its been over twenty years since I read this book last with my school class, all of us following along as our teacher (the one who impacted me the most) read aloud. Now I'm looking forward to revisiting it with adult eyes :) As their home of Farthing Wood is being torn down by humans, the inhabitants of the forest must put aside their differences and embark on a journey to find refuge in a natural reserve several weeks of travel away. This is the basic gist of this book which, at a first glimpse, might look like a rehash of Watership Down, except with all kinds of animals instead of just rabbits. I also enjoyed the message that went with every animals uniqueness: we all have a place and a part to play in life; no matter how small or large; weak or strong. I appreciated the way Dann did not shy away from adressing the realities of life: death, suffering, hardship and hunger; but met these topics head on, with hope intertwined.The Animals of Farthing Wood is a tale about the residents of Farthing Wood's quest to move to White Deer Park after their home is bulldozed over. She is last seen at the end of the episode watching her mate walk off to explore the new part of the park with Trey.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment