276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Michaël Borremans: Fire from the Sun (Spotlight)

£12.5£25.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Borremans, 59, is an acclaimed Belgian painter and filmmaker who was born in Geraardsbergen and lives and works in Ghent. Michaël Borremans, Space Vessel I (2017). Bronze and paint. 9.2 x 9.04 x 11.3 cm. Exhibition view: 21 st Biennale of Sydney, Artspace, Sydney (16 March–11 June 2018). Courtesy the artist and Zeno X Gallery, Antwerp. Photo: Document Photography. DdYou've worked on a number of films in the past. How does your approach to film differ from that to painting?

Borremans, quoted in Daiga Rudzāte, “White Canvas Is Ugly: An Interview with Artist Michaël Borremans,” Arterritory.com, March 11, 2000. White Cube Announces Representation of Lynne Drexler Archive By Sam Gaskin, London, 28 November 2023 You’ve worked on a number of films in the past. How does your approach to film differ from that to painting? Swizz Beatz and Alicia Keys’ Collection to Show in Brooklyn By Sam Gaskin, New York, 28 November 2023Michaël Borremans: Fixture, was presented at the Centro de Arte Contemporáneo de Málaga in 2015–2016. A major museum survey, Michaël Borremans: As sweet as it gets, which included one hundred works from the past two decades, was on view at the Palais des Beaux-Arts in Brussels in 2014. The exhibition traveled later in the year to the Tel Aviv Museum of Art, followed by the Dallas Museum of Art in 2015. Michaël Borremans: The Advantage, the artist's first museum solo show in Japan, was also on view in 2014 at the Hara Museum of Contemporary Art, Tokyo. [8] In 2011, Michaël Borremans: Eating the Beard, a comprehensive solo show, was presented at the Württembergischer Kunstverein Stuttgart, and traveled to the Műcsarnok Kunsthalle, Budapest, and the Kunsthalle Helsinki. In 2010, he had a solo exhibition at the Kunstnernes Hus in Oslo, as well as commissioned work on view at the Royal Palace in Brussels. Other venues that have hosted solo exhibitions include the kestnergesellschaft, Hanover (2009); de Appel Arts Centre, Amsterdam (2007); Stedelijk Museum voor Actuele Kunst (S.M.A.K.), Ghent (2005), which traveled to Parasol unit foundation for contemporary art, London, and the Royal Hibernian Academy, Dublin; Cleveland Museum of Art, Ohio (2005); Kunsthalle Bremerhaven, Germany (2004); and Museum für Gegenwartskunst, Basel (2004). These are all things that are influential for my visual language, which I do on the side but are important for me. I will show part of my artistic repertoire I suppose—what's in my head and has formed me—I think it will be interesting for the show. DdYes, you have film, video, drawings. How do different media all feed in to each other? In another part of the review, it said, “While the fire and (possible) cannibalism suggest some kind of ritual, the works are most frightening as sketches of random violence that is both cause and effect.”“The characters shown don’t fit one stereotype (angelic) but do fit another (demonic).” Borremans' work at been widely displayed, including a solo showing in Hong Kong of his Fire From the Sun series of paintings, which showed blood-covered toddlers playing in fire and what appeared to be human limbs.

The specific illusive quality of Borremans’ paintings betrays the artist’s interest in film and photography. Scenes depicted in unnaturally slow motion, precise details and the vibrant character of the paintings attest to an endeavour to bring us closer to the transcendental dimension of spiritual questions, albeit with a lightly ironic tone.

Uncommon Knowledge

Who Is Michaël Borremans? Artist's Work Resurfaces Amid Balenciaga Scandal". Newsweek. 28 November 2022 . Retrieved 2 December 2022. The artist’s tendency to work more regularly in series comes from his longing to go deeper. At the same time, a cinematic continuum is suggested from which random stills are made. However, it remains unclear to viewers whether there really is a narrative structure in which one work follows on from the other. In 2011, Borremans' work was the subject of a solo exhibition, titled Eating the Beard, which was first on view at Württembergischer Kunstverein Stuttgart in Germany and traveled to Műcsarnok Kunsthalle, Budapest, and Kunsthalle Helsinki in Finland. In 2010, he had a solo exhibition at the Kunstnernes Hus in Oslo, and in 2009, he had a solo show at the Kestnergesellschaft in Hanover, Germany [5] David Zwirner is pleased to present an exhibition of new paintings by Michaël Borremans, inaugurating the gallery’s space in Hong Kong. This will be the artist’s first solo show in Hong Kong and his sixth overall with David Zwirner.

MBThese painters and their technique, they're most suitable for me and my temperament, because the way you paint has to do with attitude and temperament. That's why painting continues to remain an interesting medium, because every artist can find his own language in this medium. It's like a musical instrument. Everybody has to find their own style of playing. And it took me a while to get there. It's still an evolution, which is interesting of course, because I don't know how my work will look in ten years or so. It's an adventure. DdI'm interested in the evolution of these paintings. How did they come about? I recall you once said that people either loved or were repelled by your work because of this beautiful painterly quality. That the main focus seemed to be how the painting was painted, and everything else got overlooked.

Melissa Martin, Ph.D., is a former professional child therapist, early literacy advocate, book author, and syndicated opinion-editorial columnist. Her work appears in various national and international newspapers. She lives in Southern Ohio. Work by the artist is held in public collections internationally, including Art Institute of Chicago; Dallas Museum of Art; High Museum of Art, Atlanta, Georgia; The Israel Museum, Jerusalem; Musée d’Art Moderne de la Ville de Paris; Museum of Contemporary Art, Los Angeles; Museum of Fine Arts, Boston; The Museum of Modern Art, New York; National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa; San Francisco Museum of Modern Art; Stedelijk Museum voor Actuele Kunst (S.M.A.K.), Ghent; and the Walker Art Center, Minneapolis, Minnesota. Borremans lives and works in Ghent.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment