276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Fujifilm Fujinon XF23mm F1.4 R Lens

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The FUJINON XF23mmF1.4 R weighs 300g and measures just 63mm in length making it the most compact and lightweight lens of its class. Autofocus is fast, and it's also perfectly accurate, especially at f/1.4. It's nearly instantaneous on my Fuji X-T1.

And exactly like the XF33mm f/1.4 the bokeh reminds me a lot of that of the XF35mm f/1.4R which is widely regarded as some of the best bokeh from any lens of the XF system. I would actually say that it has better OOF quality than it’s predecessor. So again, well done Fujifilm! Chromatic aberrations, typically seen as purple or blue fringes along contrasty edges, are not too much a problem with the Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R LM WR lens, except in areas of very high contrast. Vignetting At f/6.4: Canary Island Palm, 20 May 2014, 1:30 PM. ( Fuji X-T1 at Auto ISO 400, Velvia mode, +2 color saturation, XF 23mm f/1.4, 1/400 at f/6.4, Perfectly Clear.) Full-resolution file from camera-original JPG.Fujifilm have paid close attention to this aspect of lens use, employing a 9-segment diaphragm with rounded blades for some very pleasing bokeh.

The only real downside comes if you are very, very much into bokeh and shooting portraits, in which case only an f1.4 lens could satisfy you 🙂

Fujifilm Fujinon XF 23mm F1.4 R LM WR Image quality

Sunstars, 1:27 PM, 20 May 2014. Fuji X-T1 at Auto ISO 400, f/8 at 1/500, Athentech Perfectly Clear. bigger. So Fujifilm’s latest 23 is the most expensive of its siblings and in this review I’ll show you what it’s capable of, make some direct comparisons against the original 1.4 and compact f2 models, and ultimately help you decide if it justifies the asking price. As is the case with most Fuji lenses, the build quality and materials are far superior to what you’d find in its competitors (which tend to make even expensive lenses out of plastic, who knows why). Weather resistance In the hand, the Fujifilm 23mm f1.4 R WR LM feels like a long, thin lens. If you’re a Sony user, think about the Sony Zeiss 55mm f1.8 lens for full-frame, and imagine an aperture ring on it. The exterior feels like plastic that gets cold the way metal does. If you like the Canon AE-1, then think about that to envision what this feels like. The aperture and focusing rings are easy to use and hold. Further, the length helps it feel balanced with the X Pro 3 and X Pro 1.

The dedicated aperture ring is also mandatory for real photography, but absent on most other brands of lenses. We're not really sure why, but for some reason Fujifilm have decided not to include the manual focus collar/clutch that's on the 16mm and 23mm F1.4 lenses (but not on the 18mm and 33mm F1.4 lenses). Ergonomics are great! It feels great to have a real metal lens in my hands. The only other real metal lenses made today are almost exclusively from LEICA; Nikon and Canon have been churning out mostly plastic since the 1980s.

Summary and Recommendation

Now for a closer look at the latest 23 1.,4 on the left and the compact 23 f2 on the right as again I’m eliminating the old 23 from close examination due to a potentially bad copy. Obviously the shape of the blobs is much different, and I’d say the f2 model on the right is also exhibiting more outlining and clearer textures within, although the premium 1.4 on the left doesn’t manage to avoid these artefacts entirely. Even with the profile applied, you may spot some vignetting in images shot at f/1.4 , but it’s not dramatic and closing down the aperture to f/2.0 effectively eliminates it. This is one of the most significant upgrades. The Fujifilm 23mm f1.4 R WR LM is noticeably faster to focus than the original. Street photographers and candid shooters will enjoy this combined with the face detection feature. Granted, Fujifilm’s face detection is possibly the worst of the bunch compared to Sony and Canon. I see candid shooters wanting to use this lens the most, and they’ll still be happy due to how beautiful the image quality from Fujifilm can be.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment