276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Hurricane Wars: The epic new enemies to lovers romantasy, packed with passion, adventure and magic: Book 1

£9.495£18.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I will start this review by saying that I wasn't aware that this was a Reylo fanfic until the 70% mark (thanks Mai), and while I try to put aside any prejudice I may have about published fanfiction, this may explain for the numerous problems (and calamities) this book has.

Talasyn a lightweaver is fighting as a soldier against the Night Empire in the Hurricane Wars. Prince Alaric is uses his Shadow magic and hasn't met his equal until he fights Talasyn in the battle field. Soon these two discover that when their magic is combined they create something powerful. With a threat looming in the near distance these two must decide if they are willing to come together to defeat a threat larger than both of their forces. The Hurricane Wars è uno dei fantasy che contiene uno dei migliori e meglio scritti romance enemies to lovers di tutti i tempi... in più è anche uno slow burn perfetto, pieno di tensione e con l'aggiunta di un’altra trope che amo: l'arranged marriage! The plot is never boring or obvious and all this is combined perfectly with the romance which is one of the best I've ever read in a fantasy novel! These two little idiots will make you fall in love and... wait until you read chapter 38 *sneaky eyes In this the book shows its origins, because with fanfics you're already familiar with the characters and don't need any extra details about them to enjoy what you're reading. But in a book? More time should've been taken to flesh out the characters, give them unique personalities etc. this is so painfully juvenile i genuinely would like to know how this got approved for publication…

Read The Hurricane Wars by Thea Guanzon

HarperVoyager is proud to have acquired a new fantasy trilogy, The Hurricane Wars by exciting Filipino debut author, Thea Guanzon. The series will be set in a Southeast Asian-inspired world and features a wartime enemies-to-lovers romance with plenty of magic, airships, strange beasts, and a marriage of political convenience between sworn foes. Natasha Bardon, Publishing Director, HarperVoyager UK and Julia Elliott, Associate Editor, HarperVoyager US, acquired World English rights to The Hurricane Wars, three books by Thea Guanzon, from Thao Le at Sandra Dijkstra Literary Agency. I had a couple of bookish friends DNF this novel in the first 25-30%, so ymmv. But I actually loved that section of the novel. Sure, the prose has sprinklings of purple in it, but I didn't find it too distracting from what the author was trying to convey. Although I would have loved for this book to be more focused on the fantasy side, I really enjoyed reading it and I believe it is a wonderful beginning of a new series. Guanzon said: “As a lifelong devotee of speculative fiction, I never dreamed that I’d one day have the opportunity to share an epic fantasy of my own with the world—and combine it with my other great love, romance, to boot. When I began envisioning this trilogy, I knew that I wanted to write a story about magic, about two people finding their way to each other against all odds—and I also wanted to write a story about my homeland, about our culture and all that we have overcome and what lies ahead of us still.

The Hurricane Wars è un libro che mi incuriosiva da parecchio tempo, e quando ho visto il cover reveal delle cover US e UK (entrambe capolavori) volevo leggere questo libro il prima possibile, e così quando ho ricevuto l'ARC l'ho iniziato senza esitazioni ed è stata una lettura fantastica! The world building was confusing and convoluting. It's an entirely new, fantasy world in the middle of a decade-long war; so along with brand new terms/names, we are thrown into a complicated situation. There was a lot of info dumping and the history of the war/world building wasn't fleshed out in a way that makes it easy for the reader to follow along. I'm sure thousands and thousands of other people will love this book with their whole heart, but sadly I'm not one of them.You can understand why they are conflicted and falling in love, you can feel the tension and angst and you end up suffering with them. I will say though, I absolutely hated how the author used italics so liberally to emphasize certain words. (See what I did there? lolll) It feels very amateur fanfic and I seriously hope she stops doing it in the rest of the series. Like, okay, readers understand what you're trying to say/emphasize because of context clues, duh!!

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment