276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Crown: The official book of the hit Netflix series

£10£20.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Dunlap, David W. (December 2, 1990). "Commercial Property: Book Publishers; Random House Elects to Stay in Its Midtown Tower". The New York Times . Retrieved January 6, 2019.

The Crown by Emily Kapff | Waterstones

In an era when I was gobbling down any book I could get my hands on, even at times desperate enough to read one of my mother's bodice busters, I did not read Paul Scott. I'm kind of glad I didn't because this is a book that requires a more mature mind than what I was carrying around on my shoulders then. I probably wouldn't have appreciated Paul Scott if I had tried to read him as a teenager and I may never have had this amazing experience with this book. Without a doubt I will read the rest of the Raj Quartet and can even see myself venturing deeper into his body of work. Only space on the shelf considerations prevents me from including all four of the quartet on my top 20 shelf (which is now full, and may eventually need to be expanded to 25). Though I do think, if I had to make a judgement that books 1 and 3 in the quartet slightly outrank the other two. But, overall, if you find yourself with time on your hands (even if you don't), the "Raj Quartet" is a wonderful world in which to lose yourself for a couple of weeks. I got up at 4 this morning to write the review which I was thinking about as I lay in bed........then I ended up doing other stuff. I am so terribly busy at the moment. Paul Scott was conscripted into the British Army as a private early in 1940, and all his novels draw on his experiences of India and service in the armed forces. They feature social privilege and class, oppression and racial strata within the British Empire. He always felt himself to be an outsider in his own country:The book does an excellent job of depicting how Indians and the British looked at each other at the time of Partition. Nevertheless, from the very beginning you know pretty much who did what and even why. The book discusses the same events over and over again showing how the different characters saw these same events. It is interesting to see how the views diverge, however it IS repetitive. In this eye-opening companion to seasons 2 and 3 of Netflix’s acclaimed series The Crown, renowned biographer and historical consultant Robert Lacey takes us through the real history that inspired the drama.

Crown: An Ode to the Fresh Cut Hardcover – Picture Book

This was recommended to me by a friend in the real world (hats off to AC in Islington) and I have to say I am extremely grateful. ‘The Jewel in the Crown’ is an excellent novel, which manages to bring together well drawn characters, a beautiful setting, a crime story and an examination of a disintegrating society. The worst aspects of our colonialism will just evaporate into history as imperial mystique, foolish glorification of a severely practical and greedy policy." - Lady Ethel MannersThe Jewel in the Crown is set in 1942. This is after the great hey day of the British Empire in the 1920s when over a 1/5th of the world population rose in the morning under the British flag. The empire is crumbling and yet still the British government continued to dispatch earnest young men around the globe to shore up their interests in far flung kingdoms. It was an amazing feat using thousands to control millions. With the war pulling apart the world and Britain short on resources this the perfect point in history for India to press for independence. By 1947 Pakistan has been partitioned off and India has gained their independence. It is perhaps a matter of personality and reading taste, which sections a specific reader will find most interesting. One thing in this book that also really interested and astounded me was the information about Elizabeth’s sister, Margaret. While Elizabeth’s story focuses on the duty and strength it takes to be a Queen her sister’s story is much more scandalous. Princess Margaret (played by the beautiful Vanessa Kirby) fell in love when she was young with a man sixteen years older than her, Peter Townsend. Sadly, he had already married before their romance and marrying a person that had been divorced was strictly against the rules so despite their best attempts to change the system it ended in broken hearts. For this, I totally felt for her throughout the show because she seemed like such a lovely woman despite being a little flighty and immature so I was very surprised to read about how people thought even less of her in real life basically as a bratty, party girl. It’s not surprising that a young person in her position might act that way but I always had the idea that everyone adored all of the royal family so I’m now fuelled to learn more about Margaret and the truth of her eventful life. Her section of the book was totally riveting and I’m looking forward to following her history as well as Elizabeth if there’s another companion for the second season because this was truly a delight to read!

Crown (Heir to the Crown Book 5) Kindle Edition Fate of the Crown (Heir to the Crown Book 5) Kindle Edition

I very much like the netflix series based upon the early years of the reign of Queen Elizabeth II. I admit that I knew very little of her other than she and Princess Diana didn't get along. This book compares the movie to real life events. And, in the end, the series, with a few tweakings, seemed to follow real life events.

Become a Member

The novel unfolds through the perspectives of different characters, often not central to the story. It gives a jagged, kaleidoscopic feel to the narrative which is perfectly in keeping with India. And as the mystery of what happened at Bibighar is revealed, we seem to hear the bells start to ring the death knell of the British Empire. But it is most difficult to incorporate the union of male and female aspects, or qualities, in that posture. So, I think we should remove Parvati from the center space, and place her in the union posture with Siva below and in front of Siva's placement. McDowell, Edwin (February 8, 1990). "Nat Wartels, 88, the Chairman Of the Crown Publishing Empire". The New York Times . Retrieved May 27, 2018. Jewel in the Crown' is a very circular narrative, at times very stream of consciousness, most of the novel is told throw interviews of secondary characters, but I like how this gives a large physiological scope, the Kipling like army officer, the well meaning missionary, the radical, the saint, and the upper class Indian.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment