276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Let Down Your Hair: Bryony Gordon

£3.995£7.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Exploring depression, anxiety, the generational impact of addiction, and bereavement with honesty and remarkable empathy, it also presents the glory of self-determination and friendship with life-affirming power. Since the day she was born, Barb’s glorious hair has defined her existence, and the same is true as she turns sixteen.

It just spends so much time talking about the world of social media influencers that the alopecia elements get shoved in at the end.Introducing the YA fiction debut from bestselling author and journalist Bryony Gordon in a modern twist on Rapunzel and one girl’s quest to find a different sort of happy ever after. And I very much enjoyed attempting to solve the case with Pip (who I now want to be my best friend). A bittersweet Northern Irish romance that takes a new look at teen pregnancy, the magic and mess of first relationships, and a young woman's right to choose her own future. The YA fiction debut from bestselling author Bryony Gordon, Let Down Your Hair is a modern twist on Rapunzel featuring a hair influencer who develops alopecia – and her quest for a different sort of happy ever after. This story skillfully and sensitively manages the emotional debate over the pro's and con's of babies and abortions, not always predictable, and very relatable.

When their relationship starts to fall apart under all the pressure, Mel finds herself feeling alone with the impossible dilemma of the Little Bang growing inside her. In 2017, she won the MIND Making A Difference Award for her work in changing the perception of mental health in the media. With the help of Ravi Singh, she released a true-crime podcast about the murder case they solved together last year. In this stunning retelling of Rapunzel, Barb must learn that she is so much more than her hair and that there is no such thing as a happy ending . She is the presenter of the Mad World podcast and in 2016 she founded Mental Health Mates, now a global peer support network which encourages people with mental health issues to connect and get out of the house.A note from Bryony Gordon: ‘Let Down Your Hair is my very first novel and is based on my own experiences – of desperately attempting to develop self-esteem, of getting lost in the madness of social media and of losing my hair.

This is the first novel not aimed at children with alopecia representation, so I was interested to read it. In the words of Jess, her former best friend, “you’re nothing without your hair”, and Barb believes it. Perfectly plaiting the brutal world of content creation, family tragedy and alopecia to create an ingeniously inspiring re-telling of Rapunzel, Bryony Gordon’s Let Down Your Hair is simply incredible.As happy as I am to see alopecia in a novel, I don’t think it’s just an extra complication to this novel. Any sixteen-year-olds would expect trouble, but this is Northern Ireland 2018, where abortion is still illegal. In this stunning retelling of Rapunzel, Barb must learn that she is so much more than her hair and that there is no such thing as a happy ending … just lots of complicated new beginnings. A first introduction into the YA fiction realm and Bryony is throwing off the deep end, not starting with something more straightforward, but trying to tackle social media and alopecia through a beloved fairy tale.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment