276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Brave in Ribbons

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

It is a fair, even-handed, noble adjustment of things, that while there is infection in disease and sorrow, there is nothing in the world so irresistibly contagious as laughter and good-humour. When Scrooge’s nephew laughed in this way: holding his sides, rolling his head, and twisting his face into the most extravagant contortions: Scrooge’s niece, by marriage, laughed as heartily as he. And their assembled friends being not a bit behindhand, roared out lustily. The Founder of the Feast indeed!” cried Mrs. Cratchit, reddening. “ I wish I had him here. I’d give him a piece of my mind to feast upon, and I hope he’d have a good appetite for it.”

A CHRISTMAS CAROL - WJEC

Do go on, Fred,” said Scrooge’s niece, clapping her hands. “He never finishes what he begins to say! He is such a ridiculous fellow!” From the foldings of its robe, it brought two children; wretched, abject, frightful, hideous, miserable. They knelt down at its feet, and clung upon the outside of its garment. Not coming.’ said Bob, with a sudden declension in his high spirits; for he had been Tim’s blood horse all the way from church, and had come home rampant. `Not coming upon Christmas Day.’ She was very pretty: exceedingly pretty. With a dimpled, surprised-looking, capital face; a ripe little mouth, that seemed made to be kissed—as no doubt it was; all kinds of good little dots about her chin, that melted into one another when she laughed; and the sunniest pair of eyes you ever saw in any little creature’s head. Altogether she was what you would have called provoking, you know; but satisfactory, too. Oh, perfectly satisfactory.

Table of Contents

What of that, my dear!” said Scrooge’s nephew. “His wealth is of no use to him. He don’t do any good with it. He don’t make himself comfortable with it. He hasn’t the satisfaction of thinking—ha, ha, ha!—that he is ever going to benefit US with it.” And perhaps it was the pleasure the good Spirit had in showing off this power of his, or else it was his own kind, generous, hearty nature, and his sympathy with all poor men, that led Forgive me if I am not justified in what I ask,’ said Scrooge, looking intently at the Spirit’s robe,’ but I see something strange, and not belonging to yourself, protruding from your skirts. Is it a foot or a claw.’

A Christmas Carol (Grades 9–1) York Notes

A Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to the old man, whatever he is.’ said Scrooge’s nephew. `He wouldn’t take it from me, but may he have it, nevertheless. Uncle Scrooge.’ The Founder of the Feast indeed!' cried Mrs. Cratchit, reddening. 'I wish I had him here. I'd give him a piece of my mind to feast upon, and I hope he'd have a good appetite for it.'" He is the main character of the story. He is a greedy businessman who says the phrase "Bah! Humbug!" any time someone brings happy news or tries to look on the bright side of a situation. He refuses to donate money to those less fortunate than him. He believes that people should labor to get everything they have and that all people have the capability of changing their station in life if they work for it. After taking the journey through his past and present and then into his future, Scrooge realizes that he has to make a positive change in his life. Through helping others, Scrooge will be able to help himself.

Forgive me if I am wrong. It has been done in your name, or at least in that of your family,” said Scrooge. Do go on, Fred,’ said Scrooge’s niece, clapping her hands. `He never finishes what he begins to say. He is such a ridiculous fellow.’ After worrying about Christmas pudding not being enough or something going wrong with it, she brings out the desert. Her pride exists in being able to provide a lovely Christmas dinner and pudding for her family. Her flush is a mix of her prior worry and current joy, while her smile indicates her overwhelming love for her family. The juxtaposition of worry and joy is a good representation of Mrs. Cratchit. She loves her family and tries to remain strong and positive for them, but she is also plagued by constant worry that she will not be able to give them all they need and deserve. I see a vacant seat,’ replied the Ghost, `in the poor chimney-corner, and a crutch without an owner, carefully preserved. If these shadows remain unaltered by the Future, the child will die.’ It should be Christmas Day, I am sure,” said she, “on which one drinks the health of such an odious, stingy, hard, unfeeling man as Mr. Scrooge. You know he is, Robert! Nobody knows it better than you do, poor fellow!”

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens, pages 75-76

Forgive me if I am not justified in what I ask,” said Scrooge, looking intently at the Spirit’s robe, “but I see something strange, and not belonging to yourself, protruding from your skirts. Is it a foot or a claw?” So Martha hid herself, and in came little Bob, the father, with at least three feet of comforter exclusive of the fringe, hanging down before him; and his threadbare clothes darned up and brushed, to look seasonable; and Tiny Tim upon his shoulder. Alas for Tiny Tim, he bore a little crutch, and had his limbs supported by an iron frame!

The Ghost was greatly pleased to find him in this mood, and looked upon him with such favour, that he begged like a boy to be allowed to stay until the guests departed . But this the Spirit said could not be done.

mrs.cratchit and her daughter are What does it mean that mrs.cratchit and her daughter are

Peter Cratchit is the oldest Cratchit son and Bob's heir. Sometimes he is referred to as "Master Peter" in the text. He helps prepare Christmas dinner. Bob is working on getting Peter a job, and "the two young Cratchits laughed tremendously at the idea of Peter's being a man of business." Although his family lives in poverty, Peter is often described as pulling up his collars, a hint toward the better life he wishes for himself and his family. More shame for him, Fred!” said Scrooge’s niece, indignantly. Bless those women; they never do anything by halves. They are always in earnest. Mrs. Cratchit cannot contain her feelings when it comes to Scrooge. Immediately, her face reddens with anger. She knows that Scrooge is one of the reasons for her constant worry. She compares giving Scrooge a piece of her mind to the feast she served to her family earlier. She knows that if Scrooge paid Bob a decent wage for his work, so many of their problems would be solved. She loves her family and wants to protect them, but she cannot lie to them or feign delight when it comes to Scrooge. He sat very close to his father’s side upon his little stool. Bob held his withered little hand in his, as if he loved the child, and wished to keep him by his side, and dreaded that he might be taken from him. Scrooge hung his head to hear his own words quoted by the Spirit, and was overcome with penitence and grief.

Comments

In the extract, poverty is shown to affect the working class families of the Victorian period. This is evident in the Cratchits' appearance. Mrs Cratchit is dressed in a "twice-turned gown, but brave in ribbons, which are cheap and… No, no! There’s father coming,” cried the two young Cratchits, who were everywhere at once. “Hide, Martha, hide!” A place where Miners live , who labour in the bowels of the earth ,’ returned the Spirit. `But they know me. See.’

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment