276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Sapiens A Graphic History, Volume 1: The Birth of Humankind (SAPIENS: A GRAPHIC HISTORY, 1)

£10£20.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

In discussing the unification of humankind, Harari argues that over its history, the trend for Sapiens has increasingly been towards political and economic interdependence. For centuries, the majority of humans lived in empires, and capitalist globalization is effectively producing one, global empire. Harari argues that money, empires, and universal religions are the principal drivers of this process. The related concept of "intersubjective reality", which exists in the shared imagination of millions of people, and is the necessary basis for intangibles such as laws, human "rights", belief in deities, nations, corporations and money.

Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind - Wikipedia

The new instalment sees Harari travel “the length and breadth of human history to investigate how the Agricultural Revolution changed society forever”, Vintage said. “Readers discover how wheat took over the world, how war, famine, disease and inequality became a part of the human condition, and why we might only have ourselves to blame. The single most subversive idea in “Sapiens” is the notion that Homo sapiens achieved a great leap forward in evolution because of our unique ability to use language to “invent stuff.” Among the examples that Harari uses is religion: “You could never convince a chimpanzee to give you a banana by promising him unlimited bananas in ape heaven” is my single favorite line from “Sapiens,” and it’s in the graphic version, too, along with an illustration of a chimp descending Mount Sinai with a pair of tablets in his arms. The story is told, suitably enough, by an imaginary superhero called Doctor Fiction. THE SINGLE MOST SUBVERSIVE IDEA IN “SAPIENS” IS THE NOTION THAT HOMO SAPIENS ACHIEVED A GREAT LEAP FORWARD IN EVOLUTION BECAUSE OF OUR UNIQUE ABILITY TO USE LANGUAGE TO “INVENT STUFF.”

I really enjoyed the first book, but I didn’t agree with the significance it assigned to fictions, and I was confused by the way the author was using the term. This book delved much deeper into the concept of fictions and successfully convinced me of their importance. I feel like I have a much better understanding of the concept than I did after the first book, which introduced the concept as something important without really explaining why. Saya juga sangat senang dengan pembawaan bab terakhir, "Pembunuh Berantai Antarbenua" yang mengambil tema "pengadilan", dan ditutup dengan pesan ekologis bahwa kita semua bersalah, dan masa depan keberlangsungan hewan dan tumbuhan ada di tangan kita semua. Saya kalau bisa standing ovation di depan penulisnya, saya akan lakukan itu. Hallpike, C. R. A Response to Yuval Harari's 'Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind', New English Review, December 2017. Preston, Alex (July 29, 2018). "How the 'brainy' book became a publishing phenomenon". The Guardian. Archived from the original on July 31, 2018.

Sapiens Graphic Novel: Volume 1 by David Vandermeulen - Goodreads Sapiens Graphic Novel: Volume 1 by David Vandermeulen - Goodreads

Anthropologist Christopher Robert Hallpike reviewed the book and did not find any "serious contribution to knowledge". Hallpike suggested that "...whenever his facts are broadly correct they are not new, and whenever he tries to strike out on his own he often gets things wrong, sometimes seriously". He considered it an infotainment publishing event offering a "wild intellectual ride across the landscape of history, dotted with sensational displays of speculation, and ending with blood-curdling predictions about human destiny." [23] Vandermeulen, a Belgian author and illustrator based in Brussels, said: "Thanks to the existence of graphic novels, Yuval Noah Harari’s ideas will appear even clearer. Working with Yuval on this great text is a challenge and an honor." In what is described as the first "graphic history" of humankind, Sapiens has been reimagined in a graphic novel in collaboration with comics artists David Vandermeulen and Daniel Casanave. There is nudity in the illustrations. Nothing vulgar. Just that in a couple of panels, the pubic area of human males and females is depicted. There are some panels with breasts shown. The best things about these volumes: the graphic novel format and the larger paper size. It is easy to hold in your hands, and the artwork, while not exceptional, offers a clear picture of what is being discussed, which is all that is necessary.For this project, my personal contribution was mostly in how the scenes were presented, the dialogue and the creation of the various characters. This was all done with input from Yuval, who was very involved in the project. In case there's any household in the nation that doesn't yet own a copy of Yuval Noah Harari's zillion-selling Sapiens...there's now a zippy new digest of the book in comics form... An imaginative and prankish gallop through human prehistory. Spectator Shortly before the pandemic, I read Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari. It's not an exaggeration to say I've thought of it every day since. Curtis Sittenfeld, Guardian In Sapiens: A Graphic History, Harari's ideas continue to help us understand global events and participate in our times' most important conversations – but now in vivid colour with Casanave's illustration magic.

Sapiens: A Graphic History, Volume 2: The Pillars of Sapiens: A Graphic History, Volume 2: The Pillars of

Science journalist Charles C. Mann concluded in The Wall Street Journal, "There's a whiff of dorm-room bull sessions about the author's stimulating but often unsourced assertions." [24] Whether to share it with your children or not is an individual choice, and there's no right or wrong age for this. After all, these decisions can't be standardised and depend on the age, reading level, comprehension level, and exposure of the kids to such topics. But I hope this post has made things a bit easier for you in taking that decision. Saya sangat menyarankan pembaca untuk bersikap dan berpikiran terbuka, dan secara menyeluruh (dan detail) menikmati proses pembacaan ini dengan sungguh-sungguh. Con respeto al primer volumen, este que lleva por subtítulo Los pilares de la civilización no presenta grandes cambios en cuestión de estilo, narración o recursos usados por los autores: acá de nuevo nos encontramos con su sobrina Zoe, la doctora Saraswati, la Doctora Ficción y la detective López que acompañan a Yuval en la narración, también está presente la inserción del cómic de Bill & Cindy para ejemplificar la cotidianidad de cada una de las épocas que ha vivido sapiens, la inserción de algunos recortes de periódicos y anuncios publicitarios ficticios con el fin de hacer hincapié en los elementos más contundentes de la narración.This book also features several popular historical figures like Thomas Jefferson, Margaret Thatcher, Franz Kafka, John Lenon as characters. The main protagonists Dr Saraswati, Harari himself, Joey, Detective Lopez are also present from the first installment. They sometime switch timeline and interact with the historical figures. The caste inequality of India and the racial inequality of the USA are elaborately described and analyzed. Harari showed how religion and science were evoked to justify the discrimination. Harari's support for feminism and veganism is also reflected in this book. The book is still thought-provoking, but some of the thoughts I had didn't improve my opinion. I found the use of the Egyptian pyramids as an example of "cooperation" off-putting. Technically I suppose it is, but ... I also got tired of reading references to the Cognitive Revolution when I didn't feel we had been provided with a satisfying explanation of what exactly it was, so I googled it. I feel the book presents this theory as generally, if not universally, accepted, but I found that other models have been offered, and according to Wikipedia, some of the proponents of some other theories have suggested the Cognitive Revolution theory reflects Eurocentric bias ( Behavior Modernity Wikipedia article)

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment