276°
Posted 20 hours ago

When Our Worlds Collided: Winner of the YA Book Prize and the Jhalak YA Prize!

£4.495£8.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

This book is one of those stories that takes you on a rollercoaster ride of emotions. As you watch the relationship of the three characters develop you see the joy it is bringing them. But then you also see how outside factors in the world are piled against them and you can't help but feel rage. It is especially hard to read this without getting upset because you know that these interactions happen to people every day in real life. The workshop Danielle gave was thoroughly enjoyable - using a picture to inspire creative writing is a different and easier way to inspire me! Thank you Danielle!'

That, I can help you with,” Big Mama poked in. “Those turtley-boos are always dilly-dallying around Run of the Mill Pizza. They’re ravenous for it. Makes me rather queasy.” Usagi took the photo, staring at the turtle yokai. Leonardo. Draxum was expecting Usagi to do something that felt rather impossible at the moment. Usagi could lie, cheat, deceive. But it was harder to do when it came to someone’s heart. Playing with the mind was easy, the heart was tougher. But how hard could it be? He slayed yokai of all kinds on the daily, and was one of the best champions Big Mama had. If he could do that, he could accomplish a simple spy mission. “What do I get out of it?” Usagi ventured. If Big Mama had taught him anything, it was that there was also something to be gained.The Draxum guy didn’t look too friendly, but if he was an acquaintance of Big Mama, that meant Usagi would have to deal with him. “Which is?” As one of the characters himself states, there is a perception within the UK that there is no systemic racism, which is a complete nonsense, and this book shows in minute detail the everyday racism that people of colour experience, from microaggressions to overt racism, from all parts of society - school, police, the justice system and the media. The author used her characters to expose and show the flaws in all these elements, even down to the books that pupils are asked to study at GCSE level. prolly my last read of January. am getting busy with final assignments and other stuff afterwards! anyway, im so excited to talk about this. Yuichi Usagi had not been dealt the best hand of cards when it came to life, but he did the best with what he got. The film itself is a fine piece of work. As a child in the 50's, I was fascinated by this movie and others by George Pal.

Definitely a book that will make you angry at injustice and oppression and institutional racism but of course there is always hope. This, this was so good! I cannot even begin to unravel the whole gamut of emotions that this book evoked in me - the sadness, rage, fear, hopelessness, and yet joy, pride, and hope. It sounds so contradictory but it was just perfect. So yeah I think an entirely separate book dedicated to the unfairness of the justice system would have been a better choice. Because there’s just so many elements to it and squeezing it into a book that had two other characters to worry about didn’t quite work. A powerful coming-of-age story about chance encounters, injustice and how the choices that we make can completely change our future. The second YA novel from the critically acclaimed Danielle Jawando, perfect for fans of Angie Thomas, Gayle Foreman, Jennifer Niven and Nikesh Shukla. Big Mama narrowed her eyes at Usagi from behind her glasses. “How do you know if he promised me something?”The Hidden City had offered him multiple chances to be all sorts of things. A magic wielding yokai. A waiter at a hot dog restaurant. A warrior. But of all those things, Usagi had turned to the Battle Nexus. Usagi was a samurai, born and trained to fight. He had chosen to leave his old life in Japan behind, but he hadn’t turned away from fighting. That’s why he had left, actually. To find a reasonable sensei to train him. It didn’t get him anything good but a taste for fighting dirty. Nobody had wanted to take up the sad rabbit from nowhere. Nobody cared about his family name. They just didn’t want to train him. Too brash. Too arrogant. Won't ever get anywhere in life. As time went on, Usagi grew to care less about what he had been told as a child. You need a Sensei, Usagi. Psh, yeah right. Usagi grew angry, got into a few fights, and next thing he knew he was looking to become someone. He wanted his name to be known. I needed to write this book because I want to tell my own narrative rather than let everyone fill in the blanks,” Alabanza said. “And I think when an award like this happens for trans people, it just continues to show that there are more people wanting to celebrate us than not.” From start to finish this is an evocative, immersive and well-balanced read with brilliant characters, important discussions and some much-needed moments of levity too. Most importantly, however, When Our Worlds Collided is a story you certainly won’t forget in a hurry.

Beautifully and emotionally written, Danielle does not let you down with this immense story. A story, that it would seem, is becoming more and more frequent in this day and age. This is such a powerful read - and I urge every young person (and even the adults out there) to read this.Spying was hard work. You had to blend in, and Usagi wasn’t sure how well he could blend in with a group of seemingly delinquent turtle teens. “How exactly am I getting to them? I mean, it’s not like they’re gonna trust me right away.” I loved Danielle Jawando’s books especially when our worlds collided, I thought the message behind all the excitement and suspense, was really inspiring and moving, so seeing her in real life reinforced that and in the process I learnt so much. Danielle is a role model to look up to and her visit to Ardingly college has inspired me to write more and has made me even more eager to read more of her books!’ Still, Jawando shows us how so many still do their best, living with their heads high, despite the many injustices. It brings to mind Michelle Obama’s statement of “When they go low, we go high.” It still stinks, but I cannot help but be filled with pride, seeing how the three characters in the book take the high road and live their lives the best they can.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment