276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Beyond Bilal: Black History In Islam

£10£20.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The book highlights the contribution of prominent black figures from the Quran, the Prophets, companions of the Prophet Muhammed, West Africa, and the Americas. I’ve messaged the author a few times on Instagram and commented, but he’s removed my comments and ignored my messages. Lots of material that many will not know before reading this book, some of which many will find surprising (especially that related to the Prophets of Allah, the Companions RA, and the very nature of the people who were enslaved and transported to work on plantations in the Americas).

His adventures brought him to Rio de Janeiro, New York, Boston, Canada, and Britain; he knew Arabic, Dendi, probably Hausa, Portuguese, English, and French. Mustafa: the book is a combination of a few lectures; the lecture series began with explaining Black history in the Quran and Black history around the Prophet (pbuh), and the history of Islam in West Africa. It was also a delight to learn about the African Islamic tradition of female scholarship, in particular, Nana Asma’u, who guided an entire community and played a significant role in the Islamic revolution in the area. It was no mere rumour stemming from occasional journeys of special daring, as it had been in the time of Herodotus.Understanding Women’s Activism in Iran Through Cinema – A special screening of Mahshad Afshar’s documentary Women on Both Sides of the Camera followed by a discussion with the director. Muslims speak of Islam in egalitarian terms: the religion of peace, the religion that seeks to elevate man over his base desires, the religion that does not discriminate based on race and ethnicity. He was derided by his own society, due to his outward appearance, but was beloved to the Prophet (saw) and was gifted the death of matyr. My suggestion was going to be that perhaps this could be taken into consideration as a topic for a future book; but it turns out (as Mustafa has informed me) that that book is actually already in progress and to be published soon- no doubt an excellent accompaniment to Beyond Bilal.

Bringing together various art forms, we gather to examine how the representation of African and Caribbean people has changed over time, to celebrate the achievements we have made, and to explore Afrofuturism. She was one of the early converts to Islam and has the exalted status of being the first martyr of Islam. I'm a simply striving to be better and improve in different areas of my life through more self awareness, experiences and learning more about the deen.

Even though he was free within a year of becoming Muslim, in Muhammad by Martin Lings for example, he is constantly talked about as a slave because there is a subliminal link between Blackness and slavehood.

Less well known is that by the mid-1400s the city was a major centre of Islamic learning and scholarship in the heart of Africa. This event is open to all, however, we ask that attendees respect the nature of the event by giving priority for readings and responses to Black participants. Especially the part that talks about Black Muslims in the Americas is very relevant even if you aren’t Muslim / wanting to learn about Islam. Thought I’d send this to you in case students know of pupils who would be interested in participating or have school contacts they could share this with.Self-Assessment Record forms will be made available for delegates wishing to record further learning and knowledge enhancement for Continuing Personal and Professional Development (CPD) purposes. Servants of Allah presents a history of African Muslims, following them from West Africa to the Americas. Edinburgh and the World of Islam Walking Tour – An interactive guided walk exploring historical and contemporary connections between Scotland’s capital city and the Muslim world.

You can read the latest news and updates for University Staff on the Staff News webpages, or follow on Twitter. Martha is the Union's authoritative voice on all academic issues and has organised the Black History Month programme.

Talha also asked about anti-blackness among Muslim communities in the UK, and the notion that Marxism and identity politics attempt to push forth a sinister agenda that we should be sceptical about this rhetoric.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment