276°
Posted 20 hours ago

All My Friends Are Invisible: the inspirational childhood memoir

£8.495£16.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I would’ve been interested to hear more about what happened after the airport situation, even as maybe one extra chapter. For me I was able to relate to a number of Jonathan's experiences and feelings of upset and confusion he experienced as a young child. However, as this is supposed to be an account of Joly’s childhood, I find it so bizarre that he can retell his entire life from the age of 3 with such precision. Most importantly, he introduces us to his invisible friends, and in so doing you may be transported back to the friends you had as a child that no one else could see, and who may have saved you, too. It just felt very self-indulgent and egocentric to me, but I guess that is the nature of 'modern celebrity' these days.

It was published by Quercus Publishing, and according to the book's back cover blurb, it would be "one of the most talked about books of 2022. The last year though Jonathan has been talking about his true self so inwas curious about the book which is why I asked for an advanced copy. But I can see it as an applaudable first book and it really does seem to mean a lot to the author writing it, which I can appreciate. People could potentially isolate themselves from the real world and cause/worsen serious mental health issues on such advice.In fairness, growing up working class myself, it seems far more extravagant that my own life and yet I'm not narcissistic enough to think anybody would care about my life. Mostly, I am heartbroken for every queer storyteller who has been struggling to find a publisher/agent to publish their story, while this book gets published – presumably – due to what I believe to be a significant social media following. It skips from one thing to another and back to this and then over to that and there’s no flow whatsoever.

You can choose to leave this world and hope whatever lies beyond ends up being better, or you can create your own. I will not go into the specifics but encouraging his fans to accept these kind of hallucinations is truly worrying. On finishing school, he floated from one career path to the next, eventually landing at university to study multimedia. Moreover, I felt that some parts of the story ended without proper explanation or elaboration which left you confused and wondering were the rest of the chapter had gone. The opening line is the most cliché thing ever "I've spent a lot of time trying to figure out where to start this story"- an opening line should draw the reader in and leave them wanting more, but this just falls flat for me.

This isn't something to accept, it isn't 'other', it has nothing to do with being trans and it seems to be very dangerous advise for one to give. If he claims to have been traumatised to such a horrific extent, I have to question why he allows millions of people to watch his children online grow up and watch many private and sensitive moments.

I also found it hard to follow - we started the book in almost current day (a couple of years ago) at an airport, and then the entirety of the book after this was set 30+ years ago. It breaks my heart in seeing how much he had to endure in a time where as children we should be loved unconditionally and applauded for being our true authentic selves. Is this child Jonathan speaking, or adult Jonathan, currently writing the book, reflecting on child Jonathan’s thoughts - a different font or colour perhaps may have helped here. We then follow Jonathan as a dad in Gatwick airport, as he has what only can be described as an outer body experience.Maybe it's more mainstream now or maybe it was where I grew up but I was rather confused by the entire thing as what the issue was. Had to take my time reading the early chapters as it was so hard to read about Jonathan's early years, as he was the same age as my daughter is now. The 103 third parties who use cookies on this service do so for their purposes of displaying and measuring personalized ads, generating audience insights, and developing and improving products. I'll be interested to see what the trans community think of it, and to hear if the ending is elaborated on at all.

I am not a medical professional, but it does make me wonder if at the time of writing they were experiencing an episode which led to the things written in this book, and I truly hope that they are seeking professional help. To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. You can change your choices at any time by visiting Cookie preferences, as described in the Cookie notice. I was not only disappointed, but verging on angry, with the meandering narrative so far from what it promised to be, and feel the author has used what they deem to be a 'market' and wrote a book to fit what they think that audience wants: rather than a story honouring a journey that is painful and heartbreaking for many, if not ultimately joyous. You first off feel for him his family life was turbulence with domestic arguments through his parents.If this man did not have a platform on social media platforms, this book would never have been published. It will require grit, hardship, pain and suffering, but the rewards will be great, and the journey will be greater, and the adventures will be endless. When Jonathan did his "coming out" video of course with all the constant hype I was interested to hear what was coming. One minute you are in the present moment with Jonathon and the next minute you are somewhere between reality and fiction in "Domidie". The books featured on this site are aimed primarily at readers aged 13 or above and therefore you must be 13 years or over to sign up to our newsletter.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment