276°
Posted 20 hours ago

How Not to Kill Your Houseplant: Survival Tips for the Horticulturally Challenged

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I really like the illustrations of specific diseases and issues on every page of the plant reference section. Bought initially as a bit of a joke for my mum who manages to kill even supposedly unkillable houseplants, but I actually think she will find it very useful. Learn what balance to strike in the watering department by studying up on your plant and by familiarizing yourself with what healthy soil looks and feels like. And if you’re enjoying an ongoing conversation with your plants — rotating them, wiping down their leaves, checking their soil, etc.

To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. For those among us who don’t have a garden, houseplants are also an affordable way to bring a bit of the outdoors, indoors. I remember him telling me houseplants loved to live indoors around people and that they were very easy to keep.

Some said it’s vague but unfortunately it’s my experience that some plants if overwatered or underwatered can have similar symptoms.

I feel like it should have a hitchhikers guide label on the front saying, “don’t panic” your plant will be alright.How Not to Kill Your Houseplant is aimed towards newbies, but it also included tricks that were new to me, such as how to save an overwatered plant by wrapping its soil in newspaper. Which makes it all the more frustrating — and/or gutting, depending on your personality type — when a houseplant’s health fails. Our water in Tucson is extremely hard, so when I switched to Berkey filtered water for the leaves, the plants started to look much healthier. As well as a practical look at creating an indoor urban oasis, it features several fun profiles of Plant People across the globe.

Who among us has brought home a healthy plant, perhaps a tropical split-leaf monstera or a fuzzy, opalescent succulent, only to soon stand guilty of planticide? Water your plant as usual and you’ll see how any excess water escapes through the drainage holes at the bottom of your pot. While this information is available easily online these days I find it useful to have it in print format to flick through. Bathrooms, cold rooms, at a desk, on a windowsill, in a gloomy corner or hot suntrap: there are plants for every location to create your own indoor oasis. An excellent and informative book, but what really impressed me was the sheer volume of content packed into what appears a fairly small book.

For each entry, there are one or more additional plants with similar care to the main plant, with a short note about any slight differences. There are so many advantages to having indoor houseplants in your space including benefits to your wellbeing, adding colour and style to your home, regulating humidity levels and adding fresh oxygen to your surroundings.

It's split into two halves, with "The Basics" offering general tips and "The Houseplants" giving specific guidance on 119 common species. Anyway, for the most part, this was a fantastic intro into plant care and will hopefully help me keep my new set of plants alive for a good long time. Reading up on how much water your particular plant friend needs will point you in the direction of another plant-specific necessity: sunlight. Follow quick tips to understand what your plant does and doesn’t like: how much light, water, food, heat, and humidity. Janice, one of our houseplant experts has three top ways you can tell if your plant is underwatered.From motivating masterclasses on styling plants to the subscription services worth signing up for, here’s all the indoor gardening tips you need to begin creating your own oasis now. Many people believe in giving their plants a bit of water every day, but the method that’s worked best for me is to wait for them to dry out a little (a 2-3 on the water meter) and then a drench the heck out of them. A really excellent how-to guide for houseplants, possibly the best book on the topic I've ever seen. Too much can change the chemical makeup of the growing medium and cause serious problems for the plant.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment