276°
Posted 20 hours ago

As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning (Penguin Modern Classics)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Laurie Lee's childhood, so beautifully and evocatively related in Cider With Rosie is over and Laurie Lee is now a young man. Rather than hang around in Slad, Gloucestershire, the Cotswold village where he’d spent his entire life, in 1934 he set out to find out what else the world had to offer. Never having seen the sea, he walked to Southampton, and then walked onto London to meet his girlfriend and work as a labourer for a year before going onto Spain where he walked the length of the country. For the most part he leads an itinerant existence busking as a fiddle player to generate money to eat and drink.

In 2016, I reread As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning (1969), and I am delighted to report it is every bit as good as I had remembered. PM: I don’t think this happened too often, my aim was to record my experiences as an observer in the main. However, on occasions I was not able to hide my personal views about how Spain seemed to have become a much more conservative society following its transition to democracy and membership of the EU. The country seemed as divided as ever, with the poor having got poorer particularly in the harsh austerity regime of the current and previous governments. The Civil War still seemed a subject that few were prepared to talk about and the “pact of silence” still seemed pretty much in place. I think I wanted to see more passion and fight against the injustice still prevalent in much of society. AC: Do you have any unanswered questions after writing the book? Has it left you with the desire to write another one? In 1934 the world is still recovering from the horror of the 1st world war but already preparing for the 2nd, the turmoil that will engulf Europe is under way and the main players already in position. This was less than 60 years before I read this book but in many ways it could have been centuries.

El Majuelo Botanical Gardens

Much like Sebald's 'Rings of Saturn' there is something of a creative and fictional current running through 'As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning.' I'm starting to think that travel writers are in possession of the most beautiful language. a b c d e Barker, Juliet (2004). "Lee, Laurence Edward Alan". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (article) (onlineed.). Oxford University Press. doi: 10.1093/ref:odnb/66180. Archived from the original on 2 September 2020 . Retrieved 2 May 2017. (Subscription or UK public library membership required.) After a year without any fits, he thought he was perfectly OK and decided to come definitely and here he is. According to her daughter Yasmin: "Lorna was a dream to any creative artist because she got them going. She was a natural muse, an inspiration. She was a symbol of their imagination, of their unconscious, she was nature herself: savage, wild, romantic and without guilt.'' Yasmin added: "She was amoral, really, but everyone forgave her because she was such a life-giver."

The clue to Lee's artistic failure probably lies in his personal life. He was raised among women and had the complex and varied romantic life of an emotional Peter Pan. In addition to countless affairs and liaisons (London in the Second World War seems to have been simply brimming over with hormones), Lee had the misfortune to fall in love with Lorna Wishart, a passionate married woman with children, who would be his muse during the early part of his career and, who would finally hurt him into the dark, pessimistic silence that dominated his forlorn last years.

British Library website satisfaction survey

Wishart family of artists". www.binsted.org. Archived from the original on 5 June 2019 . Retrieved 5 June 2019. I fell in love with Laurie Lee's writing a few years ago, reading 'Cider with Rosie'. I begun reading Lee because he was from a village close to where I live, in Gloucestershire. Cider with Rosie, did not disappoint my want for nostalgia for my beloved Stroud(ish), however I stopped here for a while before reading 'As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning', which I knew would have very little to say about the rolling hills of Slad. However I started seeing a Spanish guy, and so, with a little more relevance to my life again, the literary journey continued.

Just beyond Elcombe the path leaves the road and follows a route through the steep slopes of the Laurie Lee Wood nature reserve. This ancient woodland was once owned by Laurie and acquired by the Gloucestershire Wildlife Trust from his family in 2013. It’s lovely woodland at any time of the year, though spring is exceptional, as you might stroll through carpets of bluebells or clusters of the rare orchid, white helleborine. I had a robin for company. The chapters are mostly broken into singular elements of Lee's journey: "London Road", "London", "Into Spain", "Zamora-Toro", "Valladolid", Segovia-Madrid", "Toledo", "To the Sea", "East to Málaga", "Almuñécar", "War" and the "Epilogue". The driving force of the novel is simply the language itself and the slow, but the promise (by the blurb), of the ending at the outbreak of the Spanish Civil War. That continues in the last book of the trilogy, A Moment of War. In As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning, the second of the trilogy, Laurie Lee leaves his home in Gloucestershire, travels by foot as a young man of nineteen, to London, via Southampton. It's 1934. He supports himself by means of his fiddle and temporary jobs. He travels on to Spain, where the Civil War is about to erupt. These travels last two years. Yasmin was 19 when she discovered the identity of her real father, and many of the letters are “tinged with a sadness”, according to her daughter. Typical of the tone of the early correspondence are the author’s lines to his daughter written from Germany just after Christmas in 1960.On the 100th anniversary of Laurie Lee's birth, the book takes readers on a revealing journey across 21st-century Spain. I must say I don't believe that he was quite as politically naive as he claims, but generally he communicates very clearly what it would have been like to experience the countryside and people without the preconceptions of a student of Spain's culture. He lived rough, and was able to see what life was like at dirt level. Fifteen-odd years later, it's still as vivid and vibrant as I remember it. If anything it's got better, in that my understanding of the Spanish Civil War has (marginally) improved, and his early days in Putney now have a new resonance due to our six year residency there since the last time I read it. Spain is the biggest feature of the novel and Lee describes it incredibly: the heat, the setting, the people, it is all drawn beautifully. I've only been to Spain once, sadly, many years ago. I went to Barcelona and only remember standing under the Gaudí buildings, drawing the cityscapes, wandering the hot streets, and for some reason, the small fountain that sat below my hotel bedroom window. They were all in a drawer inside the chest … When I opened it up, I was amazed how many letters there were; by just how much they had written to each other,” said Clio David, a film-maker who lives in London.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment