276°
Posted 20 hours ago

NeoLucida: The 21st Century Camera Lucida

£33.395£66.79Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

While being an all-round brilliant fellow, Herschel quietly created one of the finest portfolios of camera lucida drawings ever. Careful examination of the sketch Study for "Paris Street; Rainy Day" revealed two sets of drawn lines: a faint, sketchily executed first set and a firmly drawn, ruled second set. The thesis elevates the artists to new heights, suggesting their hinger for experimentation, for their technical prowess in inventing or recognizing an invention’s potential to contribute to their artmaking. The Aspex preview of the Creating Balance project was manic, it was probably Aspex Gallery’s biggest PV, thanks for coming along and being a part of it. I love looking into such devices and theories in which photography and photographic based tools/techniques are more embedded in traditional art practice than we think.

The result is a NeoLucida fit for beginners but with integrated accessories to advance your drawing skills.And NEOLUCIDA's problems are unfortunately getting worse rather than better with a new Kickstarter project launching the NEOLUCIDA PLUS. Indeed, the device is so effective in assisting accurate life-drawing that, according to the controversial Hockney-Falco hypothesis, its now believed that many of the most admired drawings of the 19th Century, such as the Neoclassical portraits of Jean-Auguste-Dominique Ingres, could only have been made with a camera lucida.

If Ingres used an optical drawing tool—their argument goes—subjects sitting for portraits would have written about it in letters or other ephemera. The NeoLucida crowdfunding campaign went viral, and until mid-2014, ranked among the 100 highest-grossing Kickstarter projects of all time. or 199g), sturdy, compact enough to fit in a handbag, highly adjustable, totally non-electronic, and effective in nearly all lighting conditions. As university art educators, we ( Pablo Garcia and Golan Levin) sought to give art students the opportunity to test the HockneyFalco hypothesis for themselves. Keen to hype the PGT’s utility, Varley applied his optics to all of nature, not just scenes of nature.

For full details on this work, and other deep dives into this magnificent painting, see the Art Institute of Chicago Online Scholarly Catalogue. The original NeoLucida was created by art professors Pablo Garcia and Golan Levin, after long conversations about art and technology and history. The original NEOLUCIDA uses a historical prism design, but these prisms are difficult to use and the images hard to see, making it tough to draw from. I used mine to sketch a pencil with a radical skull head he had given me as a gift and presented him with the cool tool and sketch over takeout Chinese on our back porch.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment