276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Milly-Molly-Mandy Stories

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

First edition thus second printing Boxed set of four books hardback Illustrated by the author Fine condition in Fine slipcase.

A fairy tale of what happened to two men who tried to get rich in evil ways and of how the fortune they sought came to their younger brother, whose kind and loving heart prompted him to right action. The things that happen to her are probably things that happened to many little girls in many families just like that back then. First published in 1925, Milly-Molly-Mandy's stories now have a nostalgic charm that will appeal to parents and grandparents who will remember them from their own childhood. The language is simple but descriptive, the accompanying artwork, done by Brisley herself, just lovely. The illustrations are wonderful line drawings, and perfectly match the tone and style of the writing.With each review, I provide a Cleanliness Report, mentioning any objectionable content I come across so that parents and/or conscientious readers (like me) can determine beforehand whether they want to read a book or not. DJ with a half-inch tear at front fold and one-inch crayon mark to front panel, a few spots to rear panel. None of the stories are moralising, and very few of them present an overtly normative idea of gender. But there is Something™ about the purchasing power of a single penny in ye olden days that Speaks to Me. They're an exploration of the kind of gentle domesticity that many find very satisfying - descriptions of children cleaning, or picking flowers, or painting a fence or getting a new pet or just playing.

She never seemed to do anything on laundry day and I suspected she had to sit naked on an upturned bucket until her single frock was dry again, which seemed a waste of a day’s gentle village adventuring. Ten-year-old Frederika (Fred for short) doesn't have much faith that the new teacher in town will last very long. Gardners Books through Pan Macmillan published a boxed set of four books, The Best of Milly-Molly-Mandy (2004), [25] which was later carried by Kingfisher and released separately the next year. Kingfisher released a Milly Molly Mandy doll [37] and Pan Macmillan has published an activity book; [38] there is also a niche market for Milly-Molly-Mandy's classic red and white striped dress with white bloomers.But by the end of the first story in Brisley’s collection of tales (published in 1928) about the little girl in the nice white cottage with the thatched roof, I was wholly possessed by the desire to live in both. They studied art firstly at Hastings School of Art, then, following their parents' divorce in 1912 and the subsequent relocation of the girls and their father to Brixton, at Lambeth School of Art. Children's beginner readers: Milly-Molly-Mandy Infant Reader (1936-1939) by Joyce Lankester Brisely, adapted by Margaret McCrea; Four book series; George G. Four children wish on a Half Magic coin that gets their mother Alison half-way home, rescued by Mr Smith.

My kids loved this book as a read-aloud, and I appreciated that the stories were all simple and interesting. Having read this copy as a last goodbye, I could not be more surprised to say that I plan on eventually reading the other collections available at my library! Milly-Molly-Mandy lives with her mother, father, uncle, aunt, grandmother and grandfather in a 'nice white cottage with a thatched roof'. I was reminded of making paper doll chains---something I've not done in at least 30 years but WILL do before the week is up!This is why it slightly frustrates me that my son, who is six, has never really had a favourite book. The series turned 90 years old this year so it's not the most current one, but imo it has aged very well.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment