276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Murder in the Rue Dumas: A Verlaque and Bonnet Mystery: 2 (Provençal Mystery)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Nicely written, easily read, and the murder of the professor is solved after lots of food is eaten, lots of wine drunk, several cigars smoked, and we learn a lot more about Verlaque's back story. Marine Bonnet, a well respected law professor, pairs her extensive knowledge with his investigative skills once again to solve several murders centered in the university's theology department. Further reading about Galle's art was necessary for me to appreciate the plot threads and well worth it. What really makes Longworth’s writing special is her deep knowledge of French history, landscape, cuisine, and even contemporary cafes and restaurants.

And no self-respecting French intellectual has ever read any Larkin, and probably has never heard of him.

The two could not be any more different, but both turned out to be entirely delightful vacation reads, this one especially so. Doordat Longworth bijvoorbeeld de omgeving best uitgebreid omschrijft, worden er ook vaker Franse woorden gebruikt en hier had ik, net als bij het eerste deel, vaker moeite mee en vroeg ik mij ook geregeld af wat ze nu bedoelde. Longworth has written for The Washington Post, The Times (London), The Independent, and Bon Appétit magazine.

This book is halfway between a mystery and a romance novel, and I'm not sure whether that's a good thing. However, what I won't overlook and this annoyed me big time, is that the (laughably tiny) faculty doesn't include a single member of the clergy. This mystery will be a breath of fresh burgundy for those who miss the old days and the classic detectives.

Longworth’s gentle procedural succeeds on several levels, whether it’s for academic and literary allusions, police work, or armchair travel.

Moutte’s soon-to-be retirement has become a permanent one, hastened by blows to his head delivered by a blunt instrument. Ik las een tijdje geleden al ‘Dood op kasteel Brémont‘ van haar hand en had hier nogal wat op- en aanmerkingen op.Aided by his on-again, off-again girlfriend, law professor Marine Bonnet, Verlaque must turn Provence upside down, uncovering a world far more complicated than university politics, to find the killer before it's too late. Priests and nuns with academic credentials, while just as qualified, are significantly cheaper to employ than their lay counterparts , and are more able to provide support and advice for students planning to emulate them. Najbardziej bolą błędy - głównie w tłumaczeniu, ale i w tekście źródłowym, bo czymże jest opis, że jedziemy pogadać z panem X, a potem radośnie rozmawiamy z panem Y (pan X już nie pojawia się w powieści), albo nagłe przeniesienie bohaterów w czasoprzestrzeni (w jednym akapicie piją kawę w domu, w kolejnym mówią sobie do widzenia na skrzyżowaniu - WFT.

As the episode began, many viewers were confused as to whether the actors were meant to have a french accent and took to their social media pages to discuss their thoughts. I probably should read one in original English to see whether the writing is better in the original, although somehow I doubt it. He has promised to name the recipient of the Dumas fellowship for which there are several competing and hopeful candidates, but instead he drops a bomb that he is not going to retire.In 2021, it was announced that BritBox planned to adapt Longworth’s novels into a series titled Murder In Provence. Considering the plot involves an examination of the department's funding (the separation of church and state in France means that no public funds can be provided for the study of religious subjects and so public universities do not have theology departments, a paradox which is brushed aside in a single paragraph which makes only limited sense) , the only way colleges can afford to maintain such courses is with the help of the Catholic Church. Moutte was just about to name the recipient of an elite fellowship as well as his own successor—a highly coveted position—when his lips were sealed permanently.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment