276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Seagate IronWolf 8 TB NAS Internal Hard Drive HDD – 3.5 Inch SATA 6 GB/s 7200 RPM 256 MB Cache for RAID Network Attached Storage, 3 Years Data Recovery – Frustration Free Packaging (ST8000VNZ04)

£44.5£89.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I have started buying the IronWolf 10TB drives. The outer case must be made from Magnesium or the drive spindles and platters must be made from some ultra-light material and different design. The 10TB drives are quite a bit lighter than the 8TB drives with the same outer dimensions. The 10TB drives are also quiet and low vibration. So far, after 3 months, the 10TB drives are performing good also. I recommend the Seagate IronWolf NAS Drives. I swapped out the new drive for my old 2Tb WD Blue, powered on the computer and blissful silence once more reigned. Prior to doing that though, I ran the Crystal Disk Mark benchmarking tool on it and ... Wow! ... this 7,200 rpm IronWolf drive is the fastest mechanical hard drive I've ever used, even besting my prior champion, the external WD 14Tb Elements drive I have, with a sequential read speed of 260 Mb/ sec with a sequential write of 253 Mb/sec. Truly stellar performance figures, but at a price. Not only the added noise, but I noted, too, the higher operating temperatures. The drive was running at a toasty 47C during my tests as compared with my 5,400 rpm drives at around 32C. So, for those wanting a very fast, high capacity mechanical hard drive, this is the one for you! Für ein NAS auf dem Schreibtisch ist die Platte für manche Personen zu laut. Steht das NAS im Abstellraum/Keller stört die Laufstärke nicht.

I set about copying some 1.5Tb of data from my old drive to the new one which took almost 5 hours. I noticed though, how the NAS's internal fan would regularly ramp up to keep the unit cool now it had a warmer running 7,200 rpm drive sat in the bottom bay. This turned my otherwise silent NAS, an unobtrusive box sat in one corner, into a presence that reminded me of a distant hair drier. I shudder to think had I had all five bays populated with these drives, my NAS may have trouble with the heat under sustained load. If it did, it's 120mm rear fan would be running at max continually to try and stay cool. Seagate Tools provides an excellent suite of testing and drive monitoring software to test drives before Installation. I bought the 12TB models to start replacing my old 4TB Ironwolf drives that have been in operation for 6 years without any problems not even a bad sector. These new drives are a little noisier than the 4TB’s but the density is wonderful. Now instead of 10.9TB of storage i have 18.2TB, a modest upgrade but it will cover my needs for years and once I phase out the last of the 4TB drives i will see a huge jump in capacity. I would have gone with larger drives but got a good deal on the 12TB’s that made them the cheapest per TB of the Ironwolf’s Das finde ich merkwürdig, hoffe das wird keine zu negativen Auswirkungen auf die Langlebigkeit oder den Energieverbrauch haben. Mittlerweile zweifelte ich schon ein wenig an der Qualität der aktuellen Festplatten, konnte aber nach dem Einbau erfreulicherweise keinen Fehler feststellen. Der Festplattenzustand wurde vom System als Normal bewertet.Die Platten sind in einem QNAP NAS eingebaut, die Migration von den kleineren 4 TB Seagate Desktop ST4000DM000 funktionierte problemlos und recht zügig. Pro Platte ca. 12 Stunden, um im RAID 1 ca. 3,5 TB Daten wieder aufzubauen. Bear in mind that the difference between an SMR and CMR drive, certainly in the case of some WD drives, is a single letter in the model number. So, for example, the 2Tb WD Blue drive I have, model number 20EZRZ is a CMR drive. The 2Tb WD Blue 20EZAZ is a SMR version. It's safe to assume that most desktop class hard drives will be SMR, certainly many of those above 1Tb capacity. Beide Platten befinden sich im Leerlauf, also kein Datenzugriff, und sind in der gleichen QNAP Station (jeweils 2x) eingebaut. So far, I am very satisfied with these Seagate IronWolf Drives compared to NAS Drives from HGST and WD. The HGST drives are noisy and I am concerned that there will be head crashes. After having the same problem with 8 of these drives, I realized that it was just a characteristic of the HGST drives. I still don't like it. The WD Red 8TB NAS drives are slower to read and write and are loud compared to the IronWolf drives. I also prefer the Seagate Tools maintenance suite over the one for WD. Da diese Platten angeblich speziell für den Einsatz in NAS Geräten gedacht sind, hoffe ich sie sind robust und werte die Lautstärke nicht für den Punktabzug. Den gibt es für die Einschränkungen durch weniger und versetzte Gewindebohrungen.

Da ich die Platten vor kurzem erst eingebaut habe, kann ich noch nichts zu den Langzeiterfahrungen / Standfestigkeit sagen. In Sachen Langlebigkeit kann ich noch nicht so viel sagen. 3 der Festplatten sind fast 1 Jahre alt. (Dauerbetrieb) Noch keinerlei wiederzugewiesene Sektoren, UREs oder sonstige gravierende Anzeichen, dass die Platte bald ausfallen wird. In dieser Zeit wurde sie schon mit mehreren TB an Daten beschrieben.This change of mind return policy is in addition to, and does not affect your rights under the Australian Consumer Law including any rights you may have in respect of faulty items.

This change of mind return policy is in addition to, and does not affect your rights under the Australian Consumer Law including any rights you may have in respect of faulty items. To return faulty items see our Returning Faulty Items policy.I replaced my 2Tb WD drive in my case with the new Seagate IronWolf and powered up. After completing the drive initialization prompted by Windows and creating a partition, ending up with around 7,400 Gb available space, I began to notice something I was sure wasn't there before, a low, resonant humming coming from my large tower case. Strangely, moving my head father away from the case to determine if the hum was coming from there, resulted in it being more noticeable. The ever present hum was mildly irritating to someone like me with sensitive hearing. Not a deal breaker for most, I'm certain, and it would depend on what kind of PC case you're mounting this drive in. But given my large case is designed for silence, even having the hard drive sleds using rubber grommets between the mounting screws and the sleds, the hum was annoying. Synology doesn’t seem to support these newer drives Ironwolf diagnostics like it did my 4TB drives. A disappointment but not a big issue and not Seagate’s fault.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment