276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Bird Therapy

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The author’s lucid prose tracks his recovery, along with his setbacks, and provides encouragement to the reader to discover similar effects for themselves. Harkness’s case, birds are his ticket to the outdoors, and birding is the elixir that saves him from his secret anguish. Three years later he has become a spokesperson for the benefits of birdwatching, spreading the word everywhere from Radio 4 to Downing Street.

Joe Harkness | Nature connection, neurodivergence and mental

Such solace can be found in just watching your garden birds come and go, learning their nuances and finding out just who they are.Joe is an accomplished public speaker and has spoken at a range of venues, including: Cambridge University, the Birdfair and at NWT Cley Marshes. The opening paragraph of this book is difficult to read, especially for anyone who has been in a similar situation. This observation is not new: it was introduced and popularized by biologist, theorist, and author, Edward O. Birding is a meditative practice that immediately appeals to all your senses -- listening to bird sounds and songs, looking at their plumage colors and patterns, observing their complex and often subtle behaviors, identifying their habits and habitats -- but weirdly, I’d not made this connection between birding and mindfulness before. Paths described may be pleasant for walking in fine weather, but can become slippery, boggy and dangerous in wet and wintry weather.

A Dose of Nature: Why Birding Will Boost - Birds and Blooms

No mainstream publisher would take a gamble on it and he had to crowdfund a 5-figure sum to publish with Unbound. There’s actually a whole chapter in the book about birdwatching in winter and the wonder of roving nomadic flocks in the cold months. His writing has appeared in Birdwatch magazine and in the literary journal, The Curlew, amongst others.Harkness includes data and responses from an online survey that he conducted on his blog, and interweaves findings from published scientific studies revealing that birding (or even just getting out into nature) is correlated with improved mental health. He is outspoken on a variety of issues and discusses difficult topics in a raw but accessible manner. Support from almost 900 people, along with celebrities such as Chris Packham and Bill Bailey, meant that it was published in June 2019 in hardback and audiobook (narrated by Joe) and in paperback in April 2020. The author is a careful observer and his thoughtful descriptions of his own mental state likely served as a valuable roadmap of his progress towards healing. When Joe Harkness suffered a breakdown in 2013, he tried all the things his doctor recommended: medication helped, counselling was enlightening, and mindfulness grounded him.

The therapy programme - B.I.R.D

To ensure that the main points are clear, there is a list of useful tips at the end of each chapter. Conversely, spending time on my own – reflecting, thinking and being, has helped me to find who I really am again.After horrendously stressful days at work I’ve gone to a local site for them and switched off, by allowing their bubbly song to wrap me up and absorb my anxieties. For two years, I’ve been writing about the therapeutic benefits of bird-watching, keen to share my own positive experiences with those who ended up reading. Residing in Norfolk, he has worked in the special education sector for over a decade and is a keen naturalist, focusing on wildlife in his local area.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment