276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Real Back In Style

£4.995£9.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

a b Goggins, Joe (6 February 2023). "Potter Payper releases politically-charged new single, 'Blame Brexit' ". Rolling Stone . Retrieved 14 May 2023. I’m never looking for the next hit. It’s always just my expression, and I don’t like to waste it,” says Potter Payper, real name Jamel Bousbaa. We meet at a recording studio in Camden Town, north London, where he arrives with a younger sibling who has just received their GCSE results. He tells me proudly about how well they’ve done as we take our seats in the kitchen.

Family breakdown overwhelmed him. “Cold nights sleeping on the ground floor / I don’t hate my father, I just wish he was around more,” he raps on one of his earliest and most celebrated songs, Purple Rain, later adding: “’99 they said my mummy went on holiday / I found out that my mummy was in Holloway.” Styling it … Potter Payper at the 2022 Wireless festival in Crystal Palace Park, south London. Photograph: Joseph Okpako/WireImagea b Pritchard, Will (12 May 2023). "Alison Goldfrapp goes solo, Potter Payper finds life after prison – the week's best albums". The Telegraph . Retrieved 14 May 2023. He nods to his late nan who has been an ever-present mention in his music having grown up with her – touching on her “looking down proud” on ‘What They Ain’t’. He implores how he has turned his pain into something. It closed out with a snippet talking on quite simply taking life for what it is. Your Training Day 3 mixtape went to number three in the charts, did you make that project with chart success in mind? The message of it all, I would say, is who’s the biggest exports from our country musically? Yeah, are that in terms of rap music – they are not who they are off of that camera. They have manufactured images, maybe by themselves, or maybe with help from industry. But, either way, they are not themselves in any way, shape, or form. My whole journey has been that I’m unapologetically myself. And I stay true to my craft, the sound of who I am as a person at different points in times in my life. Sometimes I’m flush, sometimes I’m high, and sometimes I’m low and that reflects in my music heavily. As opposed to like literally any project I’ve ever done is like this is obviously coming from a different time and space in my life. But very, my music is always reflective of my life or my day-to-day life. This is different from every other project because I put myself in shoes that I had thought I took off a long time ago – the smelly, old ones.

I feel like nobody is rapping like that from start to finish, especially from our country and our generation, our time. That’s why I’ve put it out because the things that I’m saying, it’s undeniable and it has been for 10 years. This year is the 10-year anniversary of Training Day 1. That’s why this year, I’m in my bag so badly. I started this journey 10 years ago, I’m having this interview with you today talking about my debut album in the middle of Oslo and I’ve just been noticed by a young Somalian lad. My cameraman is here filming it all and I’ve got to say thank God, I’m very grateful that I’m here. In 2013, he released his debut mixtape, Training Day. Inspired by the DIY attitude of the late California rapper-entrepreneur Nipsey Hussle and the co-founder of Nike, Phil “Shoe Dog” Knight, he pressed up 1,500 CDs and drove around London selling them from the boot of his car. “At that time I thought I was going to the edge of the Earth, but it was probably just Knightsbridge,” he laughs.You said in a previous interview that you wanted your debut album to reach the same cinematic and musical value as your record “Gangsteritus.” Would you say you’ve achieved that? Having been in the UK rap game for a decade now, do you see yourself as an older to some of your peers? The mixtape’s title referenced the 2001 film in which Denzel Washington’s corrupt detective takes Ethan Hawke’s young recruit under his wing. “In the film, my man [the recruit] is naive,” Bousbaa says. “He wants to be the hero. But then he sees that everything he believed wasn’t what it was. It’s ruthless, people are out here for themselves, it’s dangerous. It’ll be the person you’re supposed to trust the most, your partner, who in the end could be your downfall. That was me in the beginning of that street journey. I was just out here on the roads, a little kid, and as it went on I got more and more entrenched in a life that was never really for me. I’m a better musician and asset to the music industry than I ever was a drug dealer.” a b c Garratt-Stanley, Fred (12 May 2023). "Potter Payper's debut delivers trademark fiery storytelling". Whynow . Retrieved 14 May 2023.

Coming out and being here now … it’s underwhelming, in reality. I understand that I’ve been making mistakes all my life, and it’s been costing me all my life. Without getting too emotional about it, I missed a massive moment,” he says. “Forget the success of it. Forget how it was received. My debut album release … I wanted to be a part of that, to feel it.” a b Kenneally, Cerys (17 March 2023). "Potter Payper unveils new single "Corner Boy" ". The Line of Best Fit . Retrieved 14 May 2023. I’m all good brother. Happy to be finished with my album – happy with my album. Happy for my music to just be out, I haven’t been outside for some time, basically. I’m excited to start dropping again and excited about what’s to come. I don’t want to give away too much, but yeah, I’m not dropping an album and going quiet again – I’m not in jail anymore.

Tags

Often the people who end up here have left schools that weren’t catering for music. Life could have been different if they’d had that experience,” says Phil Jones, who has taught music at Feltham for 23 years. He remembers Jamel passing through the education department’s doors – one of hundreds he’s seen who would take to rapping. “People might not make a career out of playing an instrument, but it allows them to gain confidence, learn something and get more culturally minded. Music is a lifeline and a competition … a deep therapy that takes them into a zone. The guys who are writing more thinking man’s stuff, they feel they’ve got a duty to do so.” As we approach the end of his album, we’re graced with ‘Actuality’ which is both reflective and grateful. It speaks on love in several different form and is hopeful. Signing off with ‘White Ash’, it’s chilled as he inhales smoke & continues to rap. Listing off spaces where his white ash falls, as he goes over events and the ash being present throughout. Having launched his own imprint, 36 the Label, and signed veteran south Londoner Fee Gonzalez, Bousbaa says he wants to try his hand at talent-spotting as an A&R. Throughout our interview, in the room next door, Blade Brown has been working on a verse for a song also featuring Skrapz – both top-tier UK rappers – that will contribute towards Bousbaa’s next project. This time, he explains, it will be full of features, demonstrating the breadth and variety of his artistic network. Going forward, he is passionate about helping the UK rap scene edge closer to breaking America. One million percent. I would say I’m an older, but not the oldest. I had this conversation with Giggs, he called to congratulate me about Thanks For Waiting hitting number eight in the charts and I said that chart positioning wasn’t great – a lot of negativity. I said I had been doing it for ages and Giggs told me that he had been doing it for longer!

Here’s what went down at the after party of the Rolling Stone UK Awards in collaboration with Rémy MartinHere are the best photos from the winners’ room at the Rolling Stone UK Awards in collaboration with Rémy Martin

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment