276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Thenford: The Creation of an English Garden

£20£40.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Oh, God, the little man who’s slightly in disgrace now, but I imagine that’s why she was given the job.

Her expression hints at the weighty responsibilities she may soon shoulder alongside her husband in this new chapter for British politics. Although the monumental Lenin head that once stood atop the KGB building in Latvia steals the show for me. Now Anne, too, has a distinctly sceptical look; despite the tea and biscuits recently provided by a servant summoned by telephone, the atmosphere has chilled. The Heseltines, for their part, have a laconic, almost indetectable haughtiness to their excellent manners. I should, I hear myself saying, have asked the question a friend once advised me would get an interesting response out of anyone: have you ever thrown a punch?All our press photos are LIMITED ARCHIVE ORIGINALS - they are the actual prints that were used by the newspapers, they are not reprints or digital prints produced by us. Read more the creation of an English garden that you are ever likely to have the privilege of reading . With our high quality and fast digitizing process, we help newspaper archives in converting their physical prints into digital format. Michael Ray Dibdin Heseltine, Baron Heseltine, CH, PC is a British Conservative politician and businessman. This captivating image, taken in November 1990 by Arnold Slater from Memory Lane Prints, depicts Anne Heseltine, wife of Michael Heseltine MP, as speculation swirled about her potential role as Prime Minister, should her husband succeed Margaret Thatcher.

The image was captured during a time when speculation ran rampant that her husband might assume the role of Prime Minister, succeeding Mrs. He swiped cuttings from the prime minister’s country retreat, Chequers (Edward Heath visited, as did John Major, David Cameron, the American ambassador during the Westland affair, Prince Charles, and any number of other grandees; Margaret Thatcher never did), and she chose sculptures by Lynn Chadwick and Elisabeth Frink. In their own words, Michael and Anne Heseltine describe the ups and downs of how they set about transforming and expanding a wild, overgrown and often dilapidated woodland into the magnificent garden they have today.Love Island All Stars fans slam Liberty Poole for crying over Mitchel Taylor again despite pair's bitter split: 'They broke up like 10 times! That day marked the start of a 40-year odyssey which has seen Lord Heseltine, whose mane of blond hair and swashbuckling style earnt him the nickname ‘Tarzan’ in the 1970s, transform the 70 acres of land surrounding the Northamptonshire mansion from an overgrown jungle of weeds and silted-up ponds – ‘the grounds had been neglected for most of the 20th century’ says the former deputy prime minister – into a series of distinctive landscaped gardens, each with its own particular character. With the Tarzan-and-Jane era more or less behind them – while he was swinging that mace in the cabinet and carving out a niche as the best Conservative prime minister that never was, she was on the boards of four major museums – the Heseltines have finally written the book that they have talked about for years. SEE the BACKSIDE OF the PHOTO - many times the image for sale will present stamps, dates, and other publication details - these marks attest to and increase the value of the press photos. Taken though I am with the image of Tarzan taking potshots from the golf buggy, I suspect it’s probably mostly the work of Thenford’s dozen gardeners.

It is also well-known for its sculpture garden, which has an eclectic collection of work ranging from a white marble Tazza fountain to an enormous statue of Lenin. Today, the garden at Thenford has an arboretum which contains more than 3,500 different species of trees and shrubs, including rare plants which were wild-collected by well known plantsmen including Roy Lancaster OBE, Allen Coombes, Keith Rushforth and Chris Chadwell.He’s out there somewhere, I guess, lecturing an errant sapling, as he has acknowledged that he occasionally must, or taking issue with a squirrel. I run my hand over the list of questions about the state of the Conservative party and her husband’s forceful interventions in the Brexit debate that I’ve written down on my way here, smile back, and try to think of something intelligent to say about snowdrops. The ultimate Valentine's Day countdown - here are 10 romantic gestures to help sweep your partner off their feet!

This personal story of the creation of an extraordinary garden will delight horticultural experts and novices alike.It makes you nostalgic for a certain stripe of patrician Conservative, now in short supply, who viewed the sensible stewardship of the nation as their natural responsibility, and didn’t much care if they seemed remote in exercising it. As Michael drives me to Banbury train station in his Jaguar, I ask him if he thinks he’s more likely to be remembered for his achievements in politics or his arboretum and garden. This print is more than just visual art; it encapsulates historical intrigue and invites viewers to ponder on what could have been while appreciating the timeless elegance displayed by Anne Heseltine herself. It feels like a little citadel of a lamented and non-pyromaniac conservatism, a conservatism that treasures the past and carefully seeks to augment and protect it.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment