276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Orient 3-Star Mechanical FAB0000DW9 Mens Wristwatch

£69.5£139.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

First, the specs: This case measures in at 37 mm in diameter, and stands 11 mm high. That gives it a sort of boxy shape, but not overly so.

Every other watch in this series goes for a bold look, combining unconventional colors with either stainless steel or faux gold cases and bracelets. Since its founding over 70 years ago, Orient Watch has been the leading voice in Japanese watchmaking. They’ve developed a reputation for putting incredible attention to detail into every lineup of their watches, making all of their movements and assembling every watch in-house.

What are the Best Orient Tristar watches?

It appears the Orient 3 Star has a respectable history with providing developing countries an affordable timepiece that they could depend on, but does that make the watch worth buying? I have had the green dial reference FAB00009N for several weeks and have experienced both the positives and negatives of wearing a low cost watch in everyday situations. Terrible. That’s honestly the best way I can describe the bracelet on the Orient 3 Star. I knew when I bought this piece the bracelet was nothing to write home about, but it’s even worse than I expected. The folded five link bracelet is made from stainless steel and has a stamped fold-over clasp. The Orient 3 Star is a great starter versatile dress automatic watch, it have charms, but is far from a perfect watch (to be expected at its price point).

For a watch that’s still assembled in-house, it’s overall an impressive piece. Now let’s get into the details. The Case except the 3 position, because that's where the date window is. When either hand is over that, it gets a bit washed out. Not really a big deal, I suppose. At the centre of the quartz watch industry was fellow Japanese brand Seiko, who had released the first quartz watch. Like Orient, Seiko continued to produce mechanical watches. Their Seiko 5 line is a direct competitor to the TriStar watches. Like Orient’s collection, the Seiko 5 line aims to meet minimum standards for affordable watches with automatic movements at their core (more here). Third, the lume is totally worthless.The hands have lume and there are dots on the dial for every index except the 3 position because the date window is there. But it's a very low-powered lume and there's no way to read this thing in the dark. Best low-end self-winding automatic? For some, the date window might be a little too small, but I'm totally okay with it. Operating this basic Japanese automatic

Subscribe to my list for updates and offers

Their new watches would be as affordable as the new quartz watches that were conquering the market and would not have the additional cost of having to change the battery periodically. This is the bottom of the Three Star's dial in the smallest print ever. Sorry about the slight digital grain, I had to zoom in real tight to get this shot: The brand could have easily included a cheaper acrylic crystal to save costs, but they have opted for a mineral crystal, which is also appreciated. ➤ Bracelet

The 1970s were very challenging years for the watch industry as quartz technology gained ground, and many companies had to close as they became non-competitive. Sizing this folded link bracelet was difficult to say the least. It took me several attempts to remove links and some I simply couldn’t get to come out. I had to remove more from one side than the other because of the difficulty I was having which meant the clasp was uneven under my wrist. Folded link bracelets are notoriously hard to resize so this isn’t a problem specific to Orient but it was very frustrating. I know the colors are a pretty divisive thing, so it’ll be up to you to decide whether it fits your style — you’ll definitely get comments on it if you choose to wear one, probably both good and bad! Here’s where the Orient 3 Star gets into “love it or hate it” territory. There’s only really one subdued option for the color of the face and dial: The blue dial on stainless steel version. The choice wasn’t between adopting quartz technology or dying as a business. The aim of the company was to retain its brand identity and its watchmaking knowledge.The case of the Orient Tristar is made of stainless steel and has quite compact dimensions, measuring only 37 mm in diameter in most models, although there are also 40mm and even 43mm options. This watch fits on my wrist very nicely. I do have small wrists, but had to remove 4 links to get the bracelet to fit. Also bear in mind that the clasp has 8 micro adjustment holes, which is quite a bit.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment