276°
Posted 20 hours ago

My Father's House: AS SEEN ON BBC BETWEEN THE COVERS (The Rome Escape Line, 1)

£10£20.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

That torture and murder occurred is not in doubt; that brave sould risked their lives and often lost them is another given. What Joseph O'Connor weaves in My Father's House (what I believe is going to be the first part of a trilogy) is one version of a true and truly terrifying story but his research of the Monsignor and his "gang" has clearly been done meticulously. Joseph O’Connor’s magnificent novel does even more than fly, it soars.’ — Michael Dirda , The Washington Post Two beautiful novels have moved me to tears and do so again every time I reread them. Peter Carey’s Oscar and Lucinda, and Toni Morrison’s Jazz.

The character of O’Flaherty seems purpose built for novelisation. An admirably learned man of faith who risked his life to do the right thing. There are days when I am sure and then I hear Aretha Franklin singing ‘Amazing Grace’ and I'm not sure at all. When I hear gospel music or Bach or Palestrina, I do believe and I can't make the leap that atheism would be.”Breathtaking … SHADOWPLAY is a book undaunted. … As much as this is a hugely entertaining book about the grand scope of friendship and love, it is also, movingly – at times, agonisingly – a story of transience, loss and true loyalty.’ Sadie Jones, The Guardian I was utterly engrossed from start to finish. The writing hums with energy. Such a gloriously vivid depiction of a Rome that is both familiar and altogether strange. And a powerful story of ordinary humans showing extraordinary bravery and tenacity. Bravo! Danielle McLaughlin Under the guise of a “Choir”, Monsignor Hugh and seven others, each from different walks of life, operate an “Escape Line”. Their choir practice sessions are a front for their efforts toward devising plans to aid escaped PoWs– a mammoth task that encompasses sheltering the escapees in safe houses, acquiring travel documents in false names and arranging transport to Switzerland- a task made more difficult on account of ruthless Gestapo officer Obersturmbannfurher Paul Hauptmann, who was aware of the existence of an Escape Line and was keeping a close watch on Monsignor Hugh O’Flaherty in hopes of catching him and /or his friends at the right moment.

Italians have the beautiful word “sprezzatura”: the ability to make something that is difficult seem effortless. It’s a quality every good writer aims for. Impressive and pleasurable. The diverse ventriloquism of My Father’s House evokes the city in peril with wonderful vitality.” Craven, Peter (10 March 2023). "This dazzling book about a priest fighting Nazis will keep you reading all night". The Sydney Morning Herald . Retrieved 12 March 2023. Stylish, gripping, and inspiring...O'Connor is one of the most talented and respected writers of his generation Church Times

Most popular

A hugely entertaining book about the grand scope of friendship and love, it is also, movingly - at times, astonishingly - a story of transience, loss and true loyalty Guardian, on Shadowplay I love books that not only teach me something but are thought provoking and evoke feeling. This book fit the bill. I also love books based on real people and events. Joseph O'Connor transported me to Rome in 1943. His vivid descriptions made it possible to see the events in this book/audiobook takin place in my mind. Or take Delia Kiernan, a famed singer in Ireland before becoming wife of the senior Irish diplomat to the Vatican, recalling her first meeting with O’Flaherty: “His means of transport that night was his motorcycle. Joseph O’Connor’s earlier work was instrumental in demonstrating that modern historical fiction can mean novels of ideas and the state of the nation rather than works of populist nostalgia. Writing about second world war espionage and resistance is brave in this context – there are so many gold-lettered tales of homosocial derring-do sold to men in airports – but anyone buying My Father’s House with this expectation will find themselves expected to think as well as fantasise.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment