276°
Posted 20 hours ago

David Jason: My Life

£4.995£9.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

A Serving of Crime with a Difference - You May Just Discover Something Unique, Different, or Unusual in These 20 Crime Novels. By completing your purchase, you agree to Audible's Conditions of Use and authorise Audible to charge your designated card or any other card on file. A well-written, witty, and touching memoir, "My Life" - the title's blandness notwithstanding - enjoyably captures the small and big moments that made one of my favorite actors. It wasn't until 1981, kitted out with a sheepskin jacket, a flat cap, and a clapped-out Reliant Regal, that David found the part that would capture the nation's hearts- the beloved Derek 'Del Boy' Trotter in Only Fools and Horses. In 1999, Jason starred as Captain Frank Beck in BBC's feature-length drama All the King's Men about the Sandringham regiment lost in World War I.

Upon leaving school, Jason wanted to be an actor, influenced by his brother, but their father advised that he first learn a trade.I didn't find this time in David's life particularly interesting, as I thought I could have been reading about any actor at that point. The stories of making A Touch Of Frost are interesting, who knew that the cast played pranks on one another during location shoots? I feel a little conned as I bought it for my blind mother and she chose it on listening to David’s narration. Jason appeared in the BBC comedy series Hugh and I in 1967, which starred Hugh Lloyd and Terry Scott as two friends who lived together in South London. I had no idea of the scale of his career or the People that variety of work allowed him to work with.

His acting career has been long and varied: from his theatre work in the West End to providing voices for Mr Toad from The Wind in the Willows, Danger Mouse and The BFG; and from Open All Hours and The Darling Buds of May to his starring roles as Detective Inspector Frost in A Touch of Frost and, of course, Derek 'Del Boy' Trotter in Only Fools and Horses. His acting career has been long and varied: from his theatre work in the West End to providing voices for Mr Toad from The Wind in the Willows, Danger Mouse and The BFG; and from Open All Hours and The Darling Buds of May to his starring roles as Detective Inspector Frost in A Touch of Frost and, of course, Derek ‘Del Boy’ Trotter in Only Fools and Horses. This included voices for Danger Mouse, The BFG, Count Duckula, Hugo from Victor and Hugo, and Toad from The Wind in the Willows, all produced by Cosgrove Hall for Thames Television/ITV. Finance is provided by PayPal Credit (a trading name of PayPal UK Ltd, Whittaker House, Whittaker Avenue, Richmond-Upon-Thames, Surrey, United Kingdom, TW9 1EH).Giving up on an unloved career as an electrician, he turned his attention to acting and soon, through a natural talent for making people laugh, found himself working with the leading lights of British comedy in the 1960s and ’70s: Eric Idle, Michael Palin, Bob Monkhouse and Ronnie Barker. The veteran British actor looks back over his career, from how it all began to the people that inspired his later roles.

Obviously, this book wouldn’t be able to get away without including the phenomenon that is Only Fools And Horses. I can't vouch how common is such course of development with actors in general, maybe it is, but I find this trope of almost unlikely hero (electrician, in this case) turning into star actor just through sheer will, talent and, perhaps, a little serendipity here and there, fascinating no matter how many times it repeats itself. As is the case with most books of this type we go through childhood (born in 1940 so his main memories begin just after the war) and on to how they ended up becoming famous. Growing up on the family farm in Ballyfin, Ireland, Noel's childhood was spent tending to the cattle and sheep, the hay and silage, the tractors and land, his beloved sheepdog, Pirate, pro. I do believe this man is one of the comedic backbones of English humour, alongside greats such as Michael Plain, John Cleese, Ronnie Barker.Anyone who has enjoyed David Jason's work and would like to learn more about himself, or indeed the behind the scenes stories of some of his most famous roles, will no doubt enjoy this book. But life hasn't all been so easy: from missing out on a key role in Dad’s Army to nearly drowning in a freak diving accident, David has had his fair share of ups and downs, and has lost some of his nearest and dearest along the way.

However, it picked up thereafter and was very interesting to hear of David's exploits and antics in between acting and performing. On 16 September 2008, Jason announced that he would step down from his role as Jack Frost after 16 years. Born the son of a Billingsgate market porter at the height of the Second World War, David Jason spent his early life dodging bombs and bullies, both with impish good timing. Plain speaking, warm, with a love of the art of comedy that shines though his career and through his writing.Approached by BBC1 controller Danny Cohen in early 2011, he read three scripts and agreed to shoot a pilot for The Royal Bodyguard, which was shown at the Edinburgh Film Festival. A born practical joker, he was naturally in awe of those a little further up the ladder in the hall of fame. He has appeared in countless TV shows, many of which make it into my top telly favourites, and every interview I see with him or read about him makes him seem like a charming, well mannered man. In his first book David Jason told us about himself from his early years training as an electrician through to making it as one of Britain's actors.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment